Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2021 CE

6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2021 CE
Jul 25, 2021, 10:29
Eric Clapton S/T (Tom Dowd & Delaney Bramlett mixes) - I see that this is about to get an even more deluxe reissue than the 2006 one which brought the then previously unreleased Bramlett mix into circulation. The new one adds Clapton’s own. Much as I like this album - especially in the sonically superior Bramlett mix - do I really need a third take? I’m of the same dilemma with Rory Gallagher’s self-titled LP which, incidentally, I love much more - and which is also about to receive the box set treatment. I have to wonder: will different mixes and alternate takes make me love these albums more? Really? And yet I still yearn to know either way. Oh how the industry keeps saddoes like me keen;
The Wedding Present ‘Valentina’ - typical Weddoes’ epic of wondrousness;
Dr Feelgood ‘Down By The Jetty’ - proving that punk wasn’t the sole kick up the arse that mid-70s British rock required;
David Crosby ‘For Free’ - despite his great age and life-long health issues, it’s incredible how young and hungry Croz still sounds. This is a damn good record by anyone’s standards;
Kevin Ayers ‘Joy Of A Toy’ - Ayers’ first and best solo utterance, a classic of post-psych baroque pop and so much more;
Black Flag ‘Nervous Breakdown’ EP - the raw essence of US punk at its best;
Paul Weller ‘Cosmic Fringes’ (Pet Shop Boys remix) - twelve minutes that just fly by in an extended remix that, for once, actually improves the song;
Opeth ‘Garden Of The Titans’ - fuck. This makes Metallica sound like Mantovani. And is, incidentally, the best engineered live recording since ‘Made In Japan’ IMHO;
Kiss ‘Rock and Roll Over’ - where after the epic Ezrinisms of ‘Destroyer’ Kiss return to the dumb rock with which they began, with a panache and energy that justifies every sexist word and chord;
The Kinks ‘Phobia’ - The Kinks’ final album has enough decent songs to transcend some sub-Leppard metal stylings and OTT production values. It’s no classic, but it’s far from being a dud;
Public Image Limited ‘Metal Box’ - where art and inspiration transcends musical dexterity and something truly unique and timeless results - with more than a little help from a killer mix and production job. What a tragedy that Lydon, Levine and Wardle never worked together again;
Egberto Gismonti ‘Danca das Cabecas’ - early fusion experiment between jazz and world music, sounding fresher than ever 43 years on. Gismonti is as fine a pianist as he is a guitarist;
Beethoven: Piano Trios 1 & 2, Op.1 (Suk Trio) - delightful early chamber works by LvB, played with utmost sensitivity by a great Czech ensemble;
Beethoven: Piano Concertos 3, 4 & 5 (Krystian Zimerman/LSO/Simon Rattle) - individually voiced, often energetic readings from Zimerman’s newly released second survey of LvB’s piano epics. The new ‘Emperor’ is right up there with the finest ever recorded IMHO;
Haydn: Symphony no.99 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s way with Haydn misses the geniality of Beecham but compensates with a seriousness which many conductors miss in this composer;
Brahms: Symphony no.3 (NYPO/Bruno Walter) - the first of Walter’s two complete Brahms symphony cycles is more volatile and exciting than the later stereo set, as exemplified by this fine recording of the difficult Third;
Bruckner: Symphony no.8 (Concertgebouw/Eduard van Beinum) - despite being one of the fleetest recordings of the Haas edition, this retains its dignity and sense of the epic as do few others. Mono, but you’d never guess it without cans;
I watched Woodstock last night too. Bloody marvellous it was.

Mob war fear hate

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index