Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 June 2021 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 June 2021 CE
Jun 20, 2021, 07:13
John Carpenter - Anthology (Movie Themes 1974-1998)

Missus Beastly - st

The Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul

The Guess Who - The Way They Were

The Guess Who - Share The Land

The Guess Who - Anthology (disc 2)

Pink Floyd - 370 Roman Yards

Snakefinger - History of the Blues Live in Europe

Spirit - st

Paul & Linda McCartney - RAM (mono)

The Wailers - African Herbsman

Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 June 2021 CE
Jun 20, 2021, 10:52
Andwella's Dream - Love & Poetry

The Beatles - Revolver (Purple Chick deluxe)

Brainticket - Psychonaut / Celestial Oceans

John Coltrane - Coltrane (First Trane) (mono) / Lush Life (mono) / Blue Train

The Doors - Live At The Matrix '67 / Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine

Dr John - Gris Gris

Fraction - Moon Blood

PJ Harvey - Dry / Rid Of Me

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert / Mysteries / Shades / The Survivors' Suite

Kaleidoscope - Pulsating Dreams: The Epic Recordings

Ustad Sultan Khan & Ustad Zaki Husain - Sur Taal

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Spirits Up Above: The Atlantic Years 1965-1978

Loop Guru - Amrita

John Martyn - London Conversation / The Tumbler

Mother Earth - The People Tree / The Desired Effect

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music From The Penguin Cafe / S/t

Pink Floyd - More / Obscured By Clouds

Patti Smith Group - Easter / Wave

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead / Strangeways Here We Come

Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space / Pure Phase

Throbbing Gristle - Thee Psychick Sacrifice / Rafters

V/A - Ambient Americana (Uncut)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 11:39
Blood, Sweat & Tears S/T - BS&T’s breakthrough second LP is still their best for me;
T.Rex ‘Tanx’ - probably Bolan’s last consistently enjoyable album before ego and drugs took their heavy toll;
Juicy Lucy ‘Lie Back And Enjoy It’ - decent second album from this later period blues boom act, featuring a rather nifty version of Zappa’s ‘Willie The Pimp’;
Paul Weller ‘Fat Pop’ - rarely a day has passes since its release that Weller’s latest has escaped my CD drawer. Great modern pop just seems to fall from his fingers these days;
Buzzcocks ‘Another Music In A Different Kitchen’ - which I once adored to obsession. It still sounds good, but just that: a bit over-produced and soulless. Maybe it’s that I prefer the more primal Devoto takes on ‘Time’s Up’;
Gong ‘Continental Circus’ - more a film music commission than a bona fide Gong album, this pre-Camembert LP features some soundly rocking axework from Daevid Allen, with no hint of Radio Gnome or pot head pixies. Includes a great early take on ‘Fohat Digs Holes In Space’ called ‘What Do You Want?’ This really is a jewel of a record and one that (as a certain eminent former contributor to this website has confirmed) even non-Gong heads can enjoy;
The Doors ‘Absolutely Live’ - which according to Paul Rothchild was anything but “absolutely” live, featuring a multitude of edits throughout. Who cares? In its original 2 LP format, it’s a gas and, unlike most “live” albums, isn’t just a hit fest and lets you hear the band more than an annoying crowd (when they do pipe up, Morrison orders ‘em to SHUT UP!) And remember, this came out in the middle of 1970, a long time before ‘Made In Japan’, ‘Kiss Alive!’, or most (any?) lauded live rock double albums on our shelves. I swear Mr Mojo Risin’ is in my room when he rips into ‘Five To One’, such is the fidelity of the recording. And Robbie’s solo... Granville, fer fer fetch a cloth. And here’s a sobering thought: if you take away the age of this album from the year of its release, the hippest music you could be listening to would be by the Dixieland Jazz Band. No shame in that, mind;
Various ‘Hits Greatest Stiffs’ - for whatever reason, a LP that has thoroughly entertained me ever since I was sixteen years of age. “Contains no hit singles whatsoever”. Maybe that’s why I love it so;
The Beatles ‘Let It Be’ - always a tarted up Beatles piss-about for me than an album in its own right, there’s still enough good stuff here to justify its place. In fact, I often wonder how much better songs like ‘Two Of Us’, ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’ ‘I Me Mine’ and ‘Dig A Pony’ would have sounded with a full studio (and non-Spectorised) approach. And with none of the annoying Lennon wank between the songs. Alas, we’ll never know. But ‘For You Blue’ is such a gas anyway - even more so in the film version;
Kiss ‘Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001’ - Given their past live album history, I’m dubious as to just how untouched this album is, but... what the hell, it rocks. Hard. Paul may be the star man but Ace is the star here. What a shame he left soon afterwards;
Iron Maiden ‘The Number Of The Beast’ - hadn’t played this for at least 30 years before this week. My opinion hasn’t changed: it’s tight, confident and dull as ditchwater. Though I respect Bruce Dickinson, I feel that Paul Di’Anno brought so much more punk attitude to the party. I therefore remain attached to Maiden’s first two LPs in preference to this, and indeed anything else the band has issued since;
Faust ‘The Faust Tapes’ - I see a new, even more complete, listing of track titles for this has emerged in advance of a new box set of Faust’s 70s output. So what? Ignorance is bliss, and part of the appeal of this near-perfect album is not knowing where the parts originate or what they’re called. I suspect that many titles have been retrospectively applied anyway;
Charles Mingus ‘Mingus Ah Um’ - quirky and innovative big-band music that belies its sixty-odd years;
Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Time Out’ - from the same momentous year as the aforesaid, I’ve always thought that the classic Brubeck quartet made several better records than this famous outing but what the hell, I love it anyway;
Jan Garbarek Quartet ‘Afric Pepperbird’ - 51 years old and still my fave Garbarek outing by a mile. Even ECM naysayers need to hear this;
Mozart: Sonatas K 454, 304 & 378 (Olivier Stankiewicz & Jonathan Ware) - expert transcriptions for oboe of three of Mozart’s most colourful violin sonatas;
Dvorak: String Quartet Op.96 ‘American’ (Juiliard Quartet) - impressive new recording by the latest lineup of this legendary ensemble;
Brahms: Serenade no.2 (Budapest Fest Orch/Ivan Fischer) - Brahms’ Hungarian flavours are suitably emphasised in this beautifully judged new recording, a coupling with the Third Symphony which I played again this week and enjoyed for its subtle approach;
Brahms: Symphony no.4 (LSO/Claudio Abbado) - from the Italian’s more driven earlier years, this 1972 performance is well judged (if a little four-square in places) and performed. And what a work. No-one did minor key angst like ol’ Johannes;
Schubert: Symphony no.8 (VPO/Istvan Kertesz) - this 1963 record is still the most powerful performance I know of Schubert’s ‘Unfinished’ symphony, with even more heft (if not intensity) than Furtwaengler, and that’s saying something from me;
Dvorak: Symphony no.5 (BBC Scottish SO/Christoph Koenig) - idiomatic concert reading from 2014, featured on this month’s BBC Music cover disc;
Beethoven: Prometheus and Fidelio overtures (BPO/Karajan) and Fourth Piano Concerto (Pollini/VPO/Boehm) - classics from the 60s/70s DG catalogue, sounding as great as ever;
Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (Concertgebouw/Philippe Herreweghe) - well played if rather characterless performance;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.5 (Halle/Sir John Barbirolli) - this wartime recording has a palpable air of discovery about it and is very special, despite crumbly sound;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.8 (BBC SO/Andrew Davis) - VW’s penultimate symphony has a verve and bite belying its creator’s age, especially in this fine recording.

As a great man once said:

Before I sink into the
Big sleep
I want to hear
The scream
Of the butterfly...

Rock on, dear friends.

Dave x
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 16:49
Faust - Ravivvando - Faust Tapes - BBC Sessions+. Fresh off the heels of advice from here to snap up the ReR back catalogue. Hard to explain but I really connect with the band's experimental and creative side which to others might seem like a lot of indiscriminate noise.

Nirvana - Nevermind - Bleach

King Crimson - Discipline. Again.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 19:57
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Genesis - Genesis
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Genesis - Live At Wembley Stadium 1987
Genesis - We Can't Dance
Genesis - The Way We Walk - Live

Pet Shop Boys - Yes
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium

Madness - The Rise & Fall
Madness - Keep Moving
Madness - Mad Not Mad
The Madness - The Madness

Paul McCartney - McCartney
Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram
Wings - Wild Life
Wings - Red Rose Speedway

Dusty Springfield - Where Am I Going

Deep Purple - In Rock
Deep Purple - Fireball
Deep Purple - Machine Head

Klaus Dinger - Néondian (La Düsseldorf 4)
La! Neu? - Blue (La Düsseldorf 5)
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 20:16
Fitter Stoke wrote:

The Beatles ‘Let It Be’ - always a tarted up Beatles piss-about for me than an album in its own right, there’s still enough good stuff here to justify its place. In fact, I often wonder how much better songs like ‘Two Of Us’, ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’ ‘I Me Mine’ and ‘Dig A Pony’ would have sounded with a full studio (and non-Spectorised) approach. And with none of the annoying Lennon wank between the songs. Alas, we’ll never know. But ‘For You Blue’ is such a gas anyway - even more so in the film version;

Is Let It Be... Naked more to your fancy, Fitter? I actually owned that before I finally got the original version a few years ago. Still not one I know that well TBH in comparison with other Beatles LP's.

Elsewhere...I'm a big fan of Zinc Alloy as over-produced as it (though it tails off towards the end) and as for Absolutely Live...not played that in a long time but was always one of my fave live albums ever. Must dig it out again!
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 21:55
Isles - Bicep

Sounds Almighty - Nat Birchall Meets The Breadwinner

No Time For Dreaming - Charles Bradley

QP EP - Brueder Selke

Live In Stuttgart 1975 - Can

Henry’s Dream - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Chris - Christine & the Queens

Infinite Density Of Dub - The Disciples

Bryter Layter - Nick Drake

EP 1 - Paul Draper

Spumes & Recollections - Driftmachine

So Much Better 45 - Carla dal Forno

Malamore - The Liminanas

Stars Are The Light - Moon Duo
Jukebox Babe / No Fun 45 - Moon Duo

Vertigo Days - The Notwist
Ship EP - The Notwist

Nest / With, Beside, Against - Hania Rani / Portico Quartet (split 12”)

Hits Collection - Dusty Springfield

Flock - Jane Weaver

Who - The Who
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jun 20, 2021, 22:10
I have to confess, I don't know 'Let It Be... Naked'. In fact, I'd forgot it even existed until I read your post! I'll endeavour to listen to it over the next week or so and report back.

Yes, I like 'Zinc Alloy' - and all of Bolan's post-'Tanx' albums for that matter, but I really wish that Tony Visconti had been around to curb the elfin one's tendency to over-egg the pudding on those later records, especially where the annoying backing vocals are concerned.

Enjoy 'Absolutely Live'!
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 22, 2021, 07:19
I thought you may have forgotten it but didn't want to be presumptuous! Might just be what you want!
Unsung Forum Index