Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited May 09, 2021, 04:46
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 May 2021 CE
May 09, 2021, 04:40
Prince and The Revolution - Parade

Chad Allan & The Expressions/Guess Who? - Hey Ho (What You Do to Me)

The Guess Who - Share the Land

The Guess Who - Artificial Paradise

The Guess Who - Anthology (disc 2)

The Coral - Coral Island

Charles Bobuck - Codgers on the Moon

The Charlatans - Between 10th & 11th

Booker T. & The MG's - The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 1 (1962-1967)

V.A. - Times Ain't Like They Used To Be Vol. 1

V.A. - Before The Blues Vol. 1
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 May 2021 CE
May 09, 2021, 08:55
V/A - Willow's Songs

Comus - First Utterance
Comus - To Keep From Crying
Comus - Out Of The Coma

Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Genesis - BBC Sessions 1972

The Amazing Blondel - The Amazing Blondel & A Few Faces
The Amazing Blondel - Evensong
The Amazing Blondel - Fantasia Lindum
The Amazing Blondel - England

V/A - Gather In The Mushrooms

Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick - Selections
Steeleye Span - Ten Man Mop
Martin Carthy - Land Fall

Fairport Convention - Fairport Convention
Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays
Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Ash Ra Tempel - New Age Of Earth

Ashra - Blackouts
Ashra - Correlations
Ashra - Belle Alliance

Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia
Harmonia - Deluxe
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Cluster - Sowiesoso

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
Bob Dylan - Under The Red Sky
Bob Dylan - Good As I Been To You
Bob Dylan - World Gone Wrong

Silvery - Amateur Dramatics (new Bandcamp release compiled from audience recordings I made 20 years ago, quite a few years before Silvery got signed to Blow Up Records. Very entertaining. https://silvery.bandcamp.com/album/amateur-dramatics)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited May 09, 2021, 12:31
May 09, 2021, 12:26
Hi all. From the brink of insanity to your screen, here are this week’s results from the Whitburn jury:

Peter Hammill ‘In Translation’ - early impression is of an earnest but slightly underwhelming collection of covers, most of which are songs I don’t know anyway. I’ll stick with it and see if it grows on me;
T.Rex ‘Futuristic Dragon’ - Bolan’s penultimate LP is over-produced but contains some strong songs. I’d love to hear this in a sparser, more dynamic mix;
Alice Cooper ‘Killer’ - which I seem to be playing more than ever in recent months. Young Vince had an amazing vocal technique never bettered than on this timeless fourth LP. My desert island Alice platter;
Sandy Denny ‘Sandy’ - perhaps the most rounded and enjoyable of her four solo LPs;
Jethro Tull ‘Stand Up’ (orig 1969 mix) - the epitome of progressive rock in its original context, best heard as it was when new. This is such a fine record;
Kiss ‘Kiss’ - a lacklustre production job can’t hide the quality of the prime dumb-rock gems that helped create the legend that was Kiss;
Kiss ‘Alive!’ - and this is where most of those gems really began to shine. In reality a mostly studio rerun with dubbed crowd noise, ‘Alive!’ truly blisters. A rock’n’roll party indeed;
Peter Criss ‘Peter Criss’ - which, in my Kiss phases, I pull out of my LP collection every few years in case it ever changes my initial opinion that it’s a crock. My 2021 take is that it’s superbly produced, well performed (and sung: Criss has a fine pair of lungs), but totally devoid of memorable songs. That’s as positive as I’ve ever felt about this record, but more than Gene Simmons’ dire contemporaneous effort which I really can’t bear to play at all;
Nick Lowe ‘At My Age’ - precisely written and played, sophisticated adult pop music at its finest;
Van Morrison ‘Latest Record Project Vol.1’ - it’s overlong, a little dull in places, but has enough decent material amongst its two and a half hours and 28 (!) tracks to justify a tenner punt. And needless to say, superbly performed throughout. The old man’s energy is astounding;
Led Zeppelin ‘Presence’ - my fave Zep LP, and I don’t care who argues. Rock, funk, a bit of blues and...fuck, more rock. No acoustic wankery, just sheer hard rock, with a blues WALTZ at the end! What’s not to love;
The Who ‘Live At Leeds’ - well, whatdya need to know? Except that with...
Deep Purple ‘Made In Japan’ - ...these are easily the top two greatest genuinely live rock albums of all time. Don’t argue, you know I’m right;
Mozart: Piano Concerto no.26 (Robert Levin/AAM/Christopher Hogwood) - The ‘Coronation’ is generally held to be the weakest of Mozart’s late concertos. It doesn’t sound that way here;
Mozart: Symphony no.41 ‘Jupiter’ (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s “big band” Mozart is considered old-fashioned these days, but I love it. This is his 1978 rendition;
Schoenberg: Variations for Orchestra (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - serialism is accessible when it’s performed as well as this;
Sibelius: Symphonies 6 & 7 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Herbie never made a finer record in my opinion than this perfectly judged 1960s coupling;
Bruckner: Symphony no.9 (Hamburg State PO/Joseph Keilberth) - suitably grandiose, dramatic reading of Bruckner’s epic final symphonic utterance. And fine sound for 1956;
Stravinsky: Scherzo Fantastique (CBC SO/Igor Stravinsky) - delightful orchestral miniature dripping in Wagner. Would’ve thought it?;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.6 (LSO/Antonio Pappano) - as thrustful as the Fourth with which it’s coupled, tempered by a sombre, quiet finale. VW’s admiration for Holst is apparent from a work which so reflects the extremes of The Planets Suite;
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique (NYPO/Zubin Mehta) - this (along with Deep Purple’s ‘Perfect Strangers’) was my first ever CD purchase back in 1984 and, though never critically rated as a performance, still sounds great to my ears: what it lacks in poetry it more than makes up for in impact. And what a work. Charlie Parker and Lou Reed weren’t the first smack heads to make genius music;
Dvorak: Symphony no.9 (BRSO/Rafael Kubelik) - my favourite of the five New Worlds I know of Kubelik’s, this is almost unbearably intense at times. The audience go bananas at the end, and I don’t blame them.

Hot hot, hotter than hell!!!

Have a great week, all.

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

May 09, 2021, 19:15
David Bowie - Station To Station

Cocteau Twins - Treasure / Victorialand / The Moon & The Melodies (with Harold Budd) / Blue Bell Knoll

Julian Cope - Rite At Ya
Dope - Maxi 12" / Dope feat. Julian Cope / Guerilla Grow

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds / Head On The Door

The Damned - Strawberries / Give Daddy The Knife Cindy (Naz Nomad & The Nightmares)

Hawkwind - Levitation (DE 3cd) / Collector Series Vol 2: Live 1982 / Live Chronicles

Heaven & Earth -Refuge

Michael Mantler - No Answers

Sand - Golem

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies / Pure Phase

David Sylvian - Alchemy: An Index Of Possibilities / Approaching Silence

Television - Demos 1974-75 / Marquee Moon

Test Dept - Gododdin / Second Coming (Live St. Rollox Locomotive Works, Springburn Sept 1990)

23 Skidoo - The Culling Is COming / Seven Songs / Urban Gamelan

Kamasi Washington - The Epic / The Harmony Of Difference

XTC- 25 O'Clock (Dukes Of Stratosphear) / Skylarking
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited May 09, 2021, 21:03
May 09, 2021, 21:00
Hi all, hope you're keeping OK.

David Sylvian/Holger Czukay - Plight and Premonition/Flux and Mutability

The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics

Stooges - Raw Power

Fu Manchu - Gigantoid

T-Rex - Electric Warrior

Bowie - Scary Monsters....

Coil - LSD (30th Anniversary)

New Long Leg - Dry Cleaning
Do love the lofi/post punk vibe of this album. Plus I'm a sucker fer a sharp monologue over music. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYAb_yLdag6D098es0-agwg

Mogwai - Ten Rapid

Can - Future Days
A good friend sent me a copy of the recently re-issued gold vinyl, as a way of saying thanks fer the cool music I'd turned him onto over the years, which I thought was a sweet gesture. Shamefully I haven't played or opened it yet, as I read it was taken from the SACD remaster of the early 2000's, which I already own, so I played that instead. Considering how it was recorded at Inner Space, it does sound damn fine. I also read, that all the editions since the spoon 90's reissues have had reverb added to some vocal tracks, and that the original mix had Damo's vocal almost 'dry'. Sadly. I'll probably ever know, as I aint rich enough to pick up a first edition, and I've not found any digital versions of that first release for comparison. Still curious though.

Can - Unlimitd Edition/ Can Tapes
These two, though released years apart, compliment each other beautifully.

Hawkwind - X - In Search Of Space
Doesn't get any better Hawkwind wise fer me.

P.I.L. - Album, Metal Box, Flowers Of Romance
My PIL intro wasn't the heavy cool vibes of Metal Box, but the single 'Flowers of Romance', which as a teen I thought terribly exotic and slightly scary, as was the album of the same name. My Friend C seems to think it is a weird entry point to the world of PIL, and it was still many years later (after Album/Cassette/Compact Disc...whichever edition you owned) and 'Paris in The Spring' that I finally heard their masterpice.

Glaxo Babies - Put Me on The Guest List

Heads - Undersided

Well that's about it. Keep well, and have a better one! x

edit, just read an email from Norman's. Looks like Squid album is immanent as is a new LIARS album, this time a collab with some other peeps I can't recall fer now...excited!
keith a
9572 posts

May 09, 2021, 22:04
Idiot Prayer - Nick Cave

Spumes & Recollections - Driftmachine

Yeti Season - El Michels Affair

Jump Leads - Fila Brazillia

2 - Peter Gabriel

A Figure In The Underpass: Best Of… - Girl One & the Grease Guns

Nest / With, Beside, Against - Hania Rani / Portico Quartet (split 12”)

All Thoughts Fly - Anna Von Hausswolff

Phantom Lights - Memory Drawings

As The Love Continues - Mogwai

Stars Are The Light - Moon Duo

Graft - Mugstar

Wildfire - Mythic Sunship

Ship EP - The Notwist

Monkey Business (CDS) - Pet Shop Boys

Flight Of The Finch (CDS) - Dan Sartain

Unexpected EP - Thought Bubble

S/T - Ultravox!

Interzone - Vacant Lots

Mutator - Alan Vega

Flock - Jane Weaver
keith a
9572 posts

Edited May 09, 2021, 22:14
May 09, 2021, 22:13
Oops. Duplicate!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 09, 2021, 22:26
Monganaut wrote:

edit, just read an email from Norman's. Looks like Squid album is immanent as is a new LIARS album, this time a collab with some other peeps I can't recall fer now...excited!

Have given the Squid album a listen and seems pretty in keeping with other output on first listen. Narrator has had a bit of airplay already of course. Have ordered a CD. Mate ordered the mp3 to get access to tickets for forthcoming tour and seeing them in a couple weeks in new venue in Falmouth. Excited!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

May 09, 2021, 23:12
Re: Squid....Sound in keeping is good fer me :)

I've missed gigs soooo much. May have to see if they're in my area, though being flav of the month guess they'll prob be sold out already. Have got a muchly postponed Fu Manchu gig to look forward too, but that's not till end of September.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 10, 2021, 11:50
Jorja Chalmers – Midnight Train. Bryan Ferry’s sax lady returns with second album of noir electronica. I loved her first one, and this also sounds pretty great, albeit more vocal-oriented this time. Great song and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3sZoiG20g

Clive Mitten – Suite Cryptique: Recomposing Twelfth Night 1978 – 1983. I have a big affection for neo-proggers TN, a band who were head and shoulders above the likes of Marillion etc, but never quite ‘made it’ for a variety of reasons. This on the face of it could have been dreadful – CM, their main songwriter, reinterprets their back catalogue for (pseudo) orchestra – but while it is undeniably a bit cheesy in places, it’s actually rather good. Well, I enjoyed it anyway: https://clivemitten.bandcamp.com/album/suite-cryptique-recomposing-twelfth-night-1978-1983

Concretism – Tellifusion

D Rothon – Memories Of Earth

Jason Sharp – The Turning Center Of A Still World

Throwing Snow – Dragons

Osees – Metamorphosed

Daniel O’Sullivan & Richard Youngs – Twelve Of Hearts. This came out to little fanfare last year, but it’s one of those albums I can imagine some people – primarily early Eno and Wyatt fans – seriously loving. O’Sullivan and Youngs are always never less than interesting, but they’ve combined to tremendous effect here, kind of futuristic doo wop meets techno plainsong – much better than O’Sullivan’s more feted Grumbling Fur, and Youngs has never been in finer voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjLy4HDy9UU

Robert Calvert & The Maximum Effect – Live At The Stars & Stripes

Wipers – Over The Edge

Heldon – Agneta Nilsson
Unsung Forum Index