V.A. - Blues Images Classic Blues Songs Vol. 16
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2021, 09:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 March 2021 CE
Mar 07, 2021, 09:31
This week’s waiting to die blues:

Pink Floyd ‘Atom Heart Mother’ - a rare example of successful fusion between rock and classical forms that stands alone in Pink Floyd’s canon. I’ve always rather dug this. Side Two is patchier, but ‘Summer ‘68’ and ‘Fat Old Sun’ are baroque pop masterpieces;
The Beatles ‘Please Please Me’ - it’s sobering to think what was still to follow this, but taken on its own terms this is still an impressive debut;
Paul Weller ‘Cosmic Fringes’ - this taster from Weller’s forthcoming album reveals a poppier edge and a quite different vocal technique on the Modfather’s part;
Van Morrison ‘Latest Record Project’ - another new album taster sees our grumpy hero in smiling mode. Well, almost;
Altered Images ‘Pinky Blue’ - the unbroken major key tweeness of this wears a little thin, but this does take me back to happier days before lousy personal judgement, self-imposed serious illness and professional failure fucked my life up;
Rory Gallagher ‘Rory Gallagher’ - his first solo LP from 1971 is a personal favourite, encompassing all aspects of the great man’s art;
Yes ‘Union’ - after gathering dust in my racks for thirty years, I played this to see if it really was as bad as I’d deemed it on release. And you know what - it’s quite a lot better than I remembered, especially (most of) the AWBH tracks which manage to sound decent despite an awful, overdone production job. The Rabin (i.e. “Yes West”)
tracks sound more dated, but are really no more than tarted up demos. ‘Onion’ (Rick Wakeman’s term) is too long, and is clearly a product of two disparate combos but… it’s okay. No classic, just okay. Think I might pass on the upcoming 30CD (!) box set of its accompanying tour, though;
Yes ‘Yes’ - no excuses needed for this one: it’s a belter of a debut - one helluva feel good album with energy, youthful verve, great writing and wholly original takes on two Beatles and B Springfield songs. The original line up had so much going for them. Peter Banks & Chris Squire RIP;
Echo and the Bunnymen ‘Crocodiles’ - like ‘Kilimanjaro’ (which it seems to resemble more with the passage of time) one of the great debut albums of the post-punk era;
Deep Purple ‘Purple Passages’ - representative US compilation of Mk.1 line up;
Julian Cope ‘Revolutionary Suicide’ - just severely freakin’ entertaining. End of;
Caravan ‘For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night’ - Caravan’s fifth LP saw a harder edged sound than before, aligned to some obscenely catchy songs by Pye Hastings. The closing ‘A Hunting We Shall Go’ medley is truly epic prog at its best. How this wondrous band never achieved rock demigod status is beyond me;
Jethro Tull ‘Benefit’ - a simply perfect album in its original mix;
John Illsley ‘Never Told A Soul’ - 1984 solo debut of Dire Straits’ bassist, sounding a lot less time-locked than most rock albums of the period. Illsley’s voice was a little tame (his larynx has since weathered better) but he penned some decent songs here with, naturally, great playing;
Martin Carthy ‘Classic Carthy’ - CD1 from Free Reed’s ‘Carthy Chronicles’ box set of a while back is a great one-stop shop of some Carthy’s best known songs, mostly in rare versions. I thoroughly enjoyed this;
Keith Jarrett ‘Expectations’ - this early album is a fine sampler of Jarrett’s pianistic talents in a straighter jazz context than many of his ECM dates;
Charlie Parker ‘Savoy Masters’ - Bird at his best, including his earliest small group recordings. Some cuts feature a young
Miles Davis ‘Relaxin’ With The Miles Davis Quintet’ - post-bop/pre-cool jazz from Miles’ underrated Prestige years;
John Abercrombie ‘Gateway’ - great early ECM trio session;
Brahms: Symphony no.2 (VPO/Karl Bohm) -this 1942 set is the most viscerally exciting of Bohm’s recordings of this great symphony;
Beethoven: Symphony no.2 & Richard Rodgers: Carousel Waltz (Pittsburgh SO/Fritz Reiner) - stern yet musical readings by the never genial but ever idiomatic Dr Reiner;
Dvorak: Symphony no.9 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Karajan’s probing interpretation of the New World Symphony was pretty consistent through his career as this 1940 recording makes evident, though the famous Largo seems particularly tender here;
Mozart: String Quartet no.16, K 428 & Beethoven: String Quartet no.3, Op.18 no.3 (Quartetto Italiano) - superbly judged, elegant renderings of two fine classical quartets;
Alfred Cortot ‘Plays Liszt’ - ancient, crumbly recordings of a true piano great, with a few bum notes but boundless artistry to compensate.

Have a good week, all. Dave
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Mar 07, 2021, 10:10
Curt Boettcher - Another Time

Mari Boine - Unfolding

David Bowie - Low / "Heroes" / Lodger

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad / Blue Afternoon / Lorca / Starsailor

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Coil - How To Destroy Angels / Moon's Milk

John Coltrane - Coltrane (First Trane) / Lush Life / Canonball & Coltrane / Coltrane's Sound / A Love Supreme / Kulu Se Mama / Cosmic Music (with Alice Coltrane) / The Mastery Of John Coltrane Vol 3: Jupiter Variations

Miles Davis - Live-Evil / Big Fun / Get Up With It

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun / The Soft Parade

Brian Eno - Music For Airports / Music For Films / One Land (comp with Cluster) / My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Bynre) / Thursday Afternoon

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/ Gilberto

Moon Duo - Mazes / Circles

Morning Dew - S/t / Second Album

Neu! - Neu! / Neu! '75

Yoko Ono/ Plastic Ono Band - S/t

The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Os Brazoes - S/t

Os Orixas - S/t

The Owl Service - A Garland Of Songs / The Burn Comes Down / The View From A Hill / No Pride, No Spear, No Friend

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music From The Penguin Cafe / S/t / Broadcasting From Home

Rapunzel & Sedayne - Songs From The Barley Temple

The Residents - Eskimo / The Commercial Album

Rodriguez - Cold Fact
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Mar 07, 2021, 13:05
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

Jon & Vangelis - Private Collection
Vangelis - Antarctica
Vangelis - Themes
Vangelis - The Bounty (nice to find the full soundtrack of this on YouTube, seemingly from the master tapes, although a bit distorted sound quality-wise. The minimalist opening theme is extended to 12 mesmerising minutes)

Status Quo - Piledriver
Status Quo - Hello
Status Quo - Quo
Status Quo - On The Level

The Move - Move

Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
Les Rallizes Denudes - Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes (surely the definitive version of 'The Last One' here. Must have been thrilling to be at that performance).
Les Rallizes Denudes - December's Black Children

Focus - Focus III

David Bowie - Excerpts From Outside
David Bowie - Earthling
David Bowie - Hours

XTC - Drums & Wires
XTC - Black Sea

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
The Stranglers - No More Heroes
The Stranglers - Black And White

Speed, Glue & Shinki - Eve
Speed, Glue & Shinki - Speed, Glue & Shinki
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Mar 07, 2021, 15:13
Hookworms - The Pearl Mystic - The Hum. Pretty solid modern Psych

The Holy Shroud - Ghost Repeaters. Not that keen!

The Holy Modal Rounders - Live 71 - Live 65. Preferred the former though nothing really wrong with the latter!

Holiday Ghosts - West Bay Playroom. One of those bands that sounds a lot better live

Holger Czukay - On the way to the peak of normal

The Comedian's Comedian Podcast - Russell Kane. Seems to have changed his direction in recent years, popping up on radio 4 programmes rather than bbc3 ones.

Hiss Golden Messenger/Michael Chapman - Parallelogram. Am guessing this is a record store release from a few years back. Nice to hear the mallard track again.

Hills - Frid

Led Zeppelin - I - II - IV

Lo Fidelity Allstars - Warming up the brain farm best of

Lost Highway S/T. One of the stronger soundtracks I would have thought with the likes of Barry Adamson, Nine Inch Nails and Bowie - not to mention Rammstein and Marilyn Mansun! And of course what Lynch soundtrack would be complete without Angelo Baladamenti?

Kneehigh Theatre - So Good at love. Did an online search to try and find more merch from the man behind the kneehigh songs - Stu Barker. Can't find any. Mine were bought at performances.
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 07, 2021, 21:43
The Future Is Not What It Used To Be 12” – Automatic Tasty

Isles - Bicep

All Things Being Equal – Sonic Boom

Vasto 7” - Cabaret Voltaire

Bad / Badder 12” - Calibre & DRS V Mark Ernustus

Let Love In – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Howwouldyoufeelwithoutthatthought 12” - CS & Kreme

Sounding Out The City – El Michels Affair
Adult Themes – El Michels Affair

In Parallel 12” – Emika & Paul Frick

Negative Capability – Marianne Faithfull

Imperial Wax Solvent – The Fall

Photograph EP – Keeley Forsyth

For Ever – Jungle

Malamore – The Liminanas

Das Klagende Lied (BBC Proms, 2005) – Gustav Mahler

Roisin Machine – Roisin Murphy

Vertigo Days – The Notwist

Ship Ahoy – The O'Jays

Get Back Into The World – The Sensible Grey Cells

Electrically Possessed: Switched On Vol 4 – Stereolab

Kilimanjaro – Teardrop Explodes

Departure (Remix) 7” – The Vacant Lots

Dengue Fever presents Electric Cambodia: 14 Rare Gems From Cambodia's Past - V/A
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Mar 08, 2021, 23:12
Mar 08, 2021, 23:11
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – L.W. I’ve never really got into these guys, but this new one (their 17th!) was rather enjoyable, bit like a heavier Ozrics but without the electronics: https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/l-w

Elephant9 – Arrival Of The New Elders

Patto – And That’s Jazz. Newly released archive live album, not brilliant sound, but Ollie Halsall is amazing throughout, literally a guitar wizard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN9ISGiSWE8

Wicked Lady – A Wicked Selection...by Martin Weaver. Saucy picture disc. I’m constantly astonished by this song – 1972! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAAgCTIsyU

Kraftwerk – Ralf Und Florian / Live On Radio Bremen. Bizarrely enough, had never heard RUF before, absolutely the bridge between their early stuff and their – ahem – ‘official’ catalogue. Even more mind-blowing, they gave Sabbath a run for their money when Rother and Dinger were in the group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTP-Clo62Dg.

Sandrose – s/t. Recommended as a French Earth and Fire – not really, but not bad either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_kTaAW9zUk

Niemen – Enigmatic / Strange Is This World / Ode To Venus. Trip down another rabbit hole… Czeslaw Niemen is a major figure in Poland’s rock pantheon, starting off as a blues balladeer and organ player, before branching off in an increasingly progressive direction. Strange… and Ode… were two English language albums he recorded in Germany in the early 70s, and they’re kind of indescribable, but rather great – bits recall Arthur Brown, VDGG, King Crimson etc, but this is pretty unique stuff. Ode… is particularly good. Really, give them a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISd408YewM4 / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZcGgI2dOQ

SBB – Ze Slowem Biegne do Ciebie. SBB were essentially Niemen’s backing band on the above, and went on to make a load of albums of their own. This one from 1977 is spacey/proggy, but has its own vibe, and is certainly equal to anything being produced outside of the Soviet bloc… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpT1GWTXX4
Unsung Forum Index