2388 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2021, 04:51
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 February 2021 CE
Feb 07, 2021, 04:49
The Coral - Butterfly House

Bass Communion - Pacific Codex

Bass Communion - Reconstructions

Elton John - Too Low For Zero

Joni Mitchell - Archives Vol. 1 (disc 1)

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

The Guess Who - Canned Wheat

Roosevelt Sykes - The Country Blues Piano Ace (1929-1932)

The Clash - Sandinista!

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival

The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely

Lonely Robot - The Big Dream

Steven Wilson - Cover Version

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2

STEVEN WILSON - THE FUTURE BITES (discs 1-3)

STEVEN WILSON - THE B-SIDES COLLECTION

STEVEN WILSON - BONUS CONTENT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

Steve Roach - Vortex Immersion Zone

AC/DC - PWR/UP
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 February 2021 CE
Feb 07, 2021, 10:33
Self isolation blues, Week 2:

XTC ‘Go 2’
Talking Heads ‘More Songs About Buildings and Food’
Magazine ‘Real Life’
Ace Frehley ‘Ace Frehley’
Buzzcocks ‘Another Music In A Different Kitchen’
Public Image Limited ‘First Issue’ -
on Thursday I decided to revisit happier times and play a glut of 1978 albums. My, did I have a good time. Might try 1979 next week;
Foo Fighters ‘Medicine At Midnight’ - initial impressions are of a strong, hard but lyrical album, tight as always with this band. Same old Foo in other words, though Dave Grohl is clearly throwing a Ziggy on ‘Chasing Birds’ and the title track. And ‘No Son Of Mine’ is most certainly not a Genesis cover!
Jethro Tull ‘Too Old To Rock’n’Roll, Too Young To Die’ - this has dated less than either of the single song concept albums that preceded it, but is a concept album all the same, and a highly enjoyable one at that. Possibly the last wholly satisfying album Tull ever made;
Mike Heron ‘Smiling Men With Glad Reputations’ - delightful solo LP from 1971, more conventional than ISB. Mike has a similar voice to Cat Stevens and this album ploughed a similar furrow to his then labelmate. Features an uncredited Pete Townshend, Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane on one atypically rocking track, and John Cale on another;
Loop ‘Heaven’s End’ - the gods of drone at their best, straight to your heart;
Loudon Wainwright III ‘Grown Man’ - mid-90s release leaning towards the flippant, rather than emotive, side of its creator. Good stuff;
Roxy Music ‘Country Life’ - although marginally the weakest of Roxy’s mighty first five albums, there are some great tracks on this, not least the epic ‘Out Of The Blue’ which always sets my neck hairs tingling;
Primal Scream ‘Sonic Flower Groove’ - I’ve never understood the tepid reception given to this fine, Byrdsy debut compared with that of The Stone Roses, which to me ploughed a very similar jangly 60s vibe (and did so two years later). I dig ‘em both, me;
Rush ‘Presto’ and ‘Roll The Bones’ - where Rush returned to shorter, guitar-driven songs after an undistinguished seven years of sterile, keyboard dominated dullness. Of their time, but not embarrassingly so;
Rush ‘Moving Pictures’ - I can’t believe it’s 40 years since I first heard this. Still sounds fresh to me (keyboards are still peripheral and largely free of polyphonic kackness), and the musicianship is off the scale, especially the drumming (RIP Neil). Tails off a bit halfway through Side 2 but hey, three quarters’ greatness is a fair ratio, especially for a 1980s hard rock LP;
(Also viewed Rush’s 2011 Cleveland gig on Sky Arts, which included a complete live take of the last-named LP. Bloody marvellous. Bought the CDs online and played the whole thing again. Geddy’s voice has withered a little over the years but my, these guys could play;)
Kiss ‘Dressed To Kill’ - like all the early Kiss studio albums, this suffers from a lacklustre production job, but contains some prime dumb-rock gems nonetheless. Y’know, the Drude was right: capitalist considerations notwithstanding, why were the Dolls cool and Kiss not?;
Silje Nergaard ‘Tell Me Where You’re Going’ - Silje’s debut from 1990 saw less of a jazz influence than she’s now known for but still sounds good. I’d pigeonhole this as classy adult pop;
Silje Nergaard ‘For You A Thousand Times’ - this much more recent (2017) album shows a more mature, stronger voice and even better material. I must check out her intervening records;
Paul Weller ‘On Sunset (Remixes)’ EP - revamps of five ‘On Sunset’ songs, some radical (Gwenno’s excellent trance take on ‘Old Father Tyme’), some pruned back to the bare bones with new elements added (‘Rockets’). The title track really gains from a disco feel. Well worth a £3 download;
Paul Weller ‘In Another Room’ EP - refreshingly left-field EP from Weller: four short excursions into freeform music. This has been slated by many. I think it’s excellent! Try playing any of these four tracks to anyone who isn’t a fan: I guarantee they’ll have no idea who it is;
Paul Weller ‘Wake Up The Nation’ - the Modfather’s most upbeat solo album sounded great when I played it again this week. So much so that I’m now wondering why I’d already ordered the newly remixed version. Call it thrill-seeking pensioner’s boredom;
Uriah Heep ‘Very ‘Eavy, Very ‘Umble’ - eternally underrated debut from an eternally underrated (well, critically anyway) band. A fascinatingly varied blend of psych, jazz, folk and hard, hard rock. And what a fabulous singer David Byron was;
Keith Jarrett ‘Staircase’ - my favourite Jarrett solo piano album;
Keith Jarrett: Munich, June 2, 1981 (from ‘Concerts’) - another fine example of Jarrett’s long-form improvisations from the first half of his career, this moves from a lyrical fugue to playful doodling, string plucking, thumping Eltonesque vamps and pretty much anything else you can imagine. (Two beautiful encores too.) And all on a single piano, off the cuff. The poor guy suffered two strokes in 2018 and can’t do this any more. Remember him this way;
Mozart: Allegro in G minor, K 400 & Fugue in G minor K 401 (Ton Koopman & Tini Mathot) - two Mozart obscurities as inventive and tuneful as anything the great man ever wrote;
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto no.1 (English Concert/Trevor Pinnock) - original instruments without tears;
Franck: Symphony in D minor (VPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler) - solidly Teutonic reading of a great Belgian symphony. Not how I’d always want to hear it, but pretty mesmerising anyway;
Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (WDR SO/Marek Janowski) - the best performance of this new Beethoven symphony cycle I’ve heard so far; in fact, following this with a score, the pacing and dynamics seem just right. I’m struggling to hear the second violins in the recorded balance at times though, especially near the end of the fourth movement;
Beethoven: Missa solemnis (LSO/Colin Davis) - sensitive interpretation of Ludwig’s late choral masterpiece. Sublime music;
Great European Organs no.66: Ripon Cathedral (Graham Barber) - fine programme of Edwardian symphonic music played on a mighty TC Lewis organ.

Too old to rock’n’roll and, sadly, not too young to die. But sod it, I’ll rock’n’roll anyway. May your vibes be good ones, discerning dudesses and dudes.

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1112 posts

Feb 07, 2021, 11:11
American Music Club - Everclear / Mercury / San Francisco / Love Songs For Patriots

The Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness / ...Presents ... A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble (Exploding In Your Mind): The Wizards Of Oz
The Future Sounds Of London - ISDN

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

David Bowie - Earthling / liveandwell.com

Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery / Ptah The El Daoud / Universal Consciousness / World Galaxy / Lord Of Lords

John Coltrane - Blue Trane / Coltrane (First Trane) / Soultrane / Black Pearls (mono) / The Believer (mono) / Lush Life / My Favorite Things (mono) / Coltrane Jazz

Brian Eno - Another Green World / Before & After Science

Goddess T (Gong Global Family) - Electric Shiatsu

Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate / Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night

Carole King - Tapestry

Pet Shop Boys - DISCO

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon / A Selection Of Great Dance Songs

Iggy & The Stooges - Metallic K.O.

Strawbs - From The Witchwood

Throbbing Gristle - Rafters / Desertshore (X-TG) / The Final Report (X-TG)

Jane Weaver - Loops In The Secret Society

XTC - Oranges & Lemons / Nonsuch

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth / Singles & Salad Days / John Peel Session 1980

The Zombies - Begin Here / Odessey & Oracle
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Feb 07, 2021, 14:32
V/A - Legend Of A Mind: The Decca Underground Anthology
V/A - Strange Pleasures: Further Sounds Of The Decca Underground

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
David Bowie - Young Americans
David Bowie - Station To Station

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux
Vangelis - Earth
Vangelis - Amore
Vangelis - Can You Hear The Dogs Barking?

The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn

Sparks - Sparks
Sparks - A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing

Eddie Cochran - The Best Of

Gene Vincent - The Great Rocker

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (Being more prog-leaning and therefore into The Damned and The Stranglers, I'd never got round to owning or even listening to this album before, but bought it this week for £2 at Asda. Now that's punk!)

The Beatles feat. Tony Sheridan - In The Beginning
The Beatles - Decca Tapes
The Beatles - Get Back (soniclovenoize reconstruction)
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Feb 07, 2021, 14:38
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Mike Heron ‘Smiling Men With Glad Reputations’ - delightful solo LP from 1971, more conventional than ISB. Mike has a similar voice to Cat Stevens and this album ploughed a similar furrow to his then labelmate. Features an uncredited Pete Townshend, Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane on one atypically rocking track, and John Cale on another;

Also some great piano playing from Elton John (backed by Pegg and Mattacks) on this lovely out-take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRzxML_NPk0
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 07, 2021, 18:55
Kruder & Dorfmeister - The k&d sessions

Killing Joke - MMXII, S/T & What's this for?

Goat Girl - On all Fours. New album. Pretty solid offering

Giles, Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful insanity of. Not essential listening.

Ghostpoet - I grow tired (but dare not fall asleep). Yet another solid album in Tricky territory - as someone mentioned a week or two before

Geoff Zanelli, Mark Ronson - Mortdecai OST

Ghostlawns - Motorik

Gavin Friday - Shag Tobacco

Gary Lucas - Level the Playing Field, Monsters from the Id, The order of Civility, Stereopticon and Edge of Heaven. The first 2 being the notable ones. No one does the Eastenders theme like Gary Lucas!
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 06:42
Örnatorpet - Vid Ett Berg Uti En Dal
Orthodox - Baal
Fogweaver - Fogweaver
Excellent Strategy Manuals - Tomb Of Dorpus
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
The Nightingales - Pigs on Purpose
The Nightingales - Hysterics
The Nightingales - The Good Old Country Way
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash
Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium
Asphyx - The Rack
Babylon Whores - Cold Heaven
Voivod - The Wake
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 12:29
Isles – Bicep
Album of the year so far! :)

Superheroes, Ghostvillains & Stuff – The Notwist
As I reckon The Notwist have released two of the best albums of the 21st century (Neon Golden, Close To The Glass), I'm not sure why it has taken me this long to get this 2cd live set. Maybe subconsciously they didn't strike me as a live band, but I've got to say it's sounding really good, with lots of slightly different live versions of favourite tracks.

Dreaming – Michael Rother
I've not heard Rother's more recent works, so amu unable to say whether his latest is typical or not. But to someone who knows his earlier solo work this is a bit of a departure, with female vocals on many tracks. There's a lovely feel to some numbers here.

Wake – Silent Vigils
Ambient stuff though with a hint of Sigur Ros on one track.

Also...
Karma & Desire – Actress

A Hard Day's Night (Film) – The Beatles
Abbey Road – The Beatles

No Plan EP – David Bowie

Tender Prey – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Stakeout EP – Commodo

Haunted Head – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds

Erratics & Uncomforties – Craven Faults

All Thoughts Fly – Anna Von Hausswolff

The Slider – T.Rex
Tanx – T.Rex

Interzone – The Vacant Lots

What's Your Pleasure – Jessie Ware
Monganaut
Monganaut
2376 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 16:54
Maaan, I've been going stir crazy this last week. This is generally the time of year I start heading fer the hills, or at least the paths less trodden, but stuck in the same old suburban trackways has had me dribbling (and a weird lack of attention span). So I bought some super cheap headphones and tried to head for some deep listening, bit still found focus hard...any tips fellow HHer's ? or you all feeling the same (hopefully not). Anyways, the few albums I did manage to get through were....

Trees Speak - Shadow Falls
Track 5 - Automat is my jam of the week, though it's over waaay too soon.
https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/shadow-forms

Japan - Exorcising Ghosts
Unusual 'best of' from the 80's, but has some of my fav' Japan tracks, so all good.

David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive
'Maria' on this fabulous album showed me music's amazing capacity for time travel. That song put me right back in 1987, in my OK sized bedsit near Moseley, candles lit, dinner served, slightly tipsy, romancing that special one who got away, lets call her Naomi. Prob my fav Sylvian 'proper' album (as in not too avant) alongside 'Flux and Mutibility', which is a yummy ambient affair with Holger Czuckay from Can. Found a rather wonderful live version of Maria up on youtube along an apparent unreleased gem called 'Wasn't I Joe' (great electronic percussion sounds). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUgIDNfZU48

Bauhaus - Mask (2008 box) In The Flat Field (2008 Box)
Great sounding remasters from Beggars Banquet, showing how to do a proper box set. Only sad they never did it for the rest of the Bauhaus releases at the time. I was tempted by those 40th anniversary remastered vinyls (horrible colours it's gotta be said), but apparently they were warped, badly pressed and generally shit, so I'm not gonna bother. Would love to hear the remaster of Sky's Gone Out though. Found a great live gig from 1980. Must be between the above albums releases, cos' 'Dancing and 'Poison Pen' are rough sketches and not yet fully formed. Great to see Pete in all his dervish glory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upZ0RrmFKVE

Cope - Rite 2

Coil - Musick to Play in The Dark v:2
'Tiny Golden Books' and Rite's 'D.c.o.m.p.o.s.e.r. could be musical cousins in vibe and structure. Rite2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwAWrRLxDqU
Musick2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtTzIMUsuo

Also a decent docu on Stiv Bators over on Prime called 'Stiv: No Compromise No Regrets'. Well worth a watch if yu were a fan.

Anyhoo, that's me. Keep well. xx
Monganaut
Monganaut
2376 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 17:00
keith a wrote:
Superheroes, Ghostvillains & Stuff – The Notwist
As I reckon The Notwist have released two of the best albums of the 21st century (Neon Golden, Close To The Glass), I'm not sure why it has taken me this long to get this 2cd live set. Maybe subconsciously they didn't strike me as a live band, but I've got to say it's sounding really good, with lots of slightly different live versions of favourite tracks.

Didn't know they had a live album, cheers for the heads up. Was lucky enough to see them Live during the 'Neon Golden' period supporting Stereolab who were out
gigging the album 'Cobra and Phases. Great night! Hadn't heard of them before the gig and bought 'Neon Golden' straight after he gig. I'd say it's deffo there best record.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index