Unsung Forum »
Nice Enough To Eat Compilation LP

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Nice Enough To Eat Compilation LP
Jan 20, 2021, 23:07
Fitter Stroke's review of this compilation was so compelling I did something I never do -- actually forked over the $$ to get a copy of the LP from an overseas seller. For some reason no US-based seller had a copy of it when I was searching for it right before Xmas. So I found a seller in the UK with a VG+ copy of the '70s repress on the pink rim label -- VPI cleaned to boot. Cost me six bucks (3 pounds)...and twenty-one bucks shipping!! At least it arrived here in less than two weeks.

But spinning this for the fourth time now, I have to say it was a sound investment. This is a great LP! Sounds great, too. How have I gone this long without hearing Heavy Jelly?

Hell, even the Jethro Tull song is cool!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Nice Enough To Eat Compilation LP
Jan 23, 2021, 09:14
Cor, it's a long time since I wrote that review, but I still stand by every word - except that I've come to like Quintessence over the years. That makes 'Nice Enough To Eat' a pretty faultless record to my ears. So glad you're pleased with your investment!
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 23:10
Around 15/20 years ago a friend recommended this compilation. At the time I may have only heard Nick Drake and Jethro Tull. I remember the name Dr Strangely Strange intrigued me. I put the recommendation to a side.

When I was re-building my vinyl collection from scratch 3 years ago I found the pink rimmed comp in a local second hand store by accident shortly after the said friend had passed away - I had almost forgotten about it. I considered it a gift from beyond the grave. The album is full of artists I had been listening to in the years since the recommendation. Indeed it is a flawless compilation and am now on the look out for "Bumpers" a double Island sampler released later in the same vane.
costaexpress
77 posts

Jan 28, 2021, 10:14
Wow, brings back memories, I bought this when it first came out '69 or '70, cost less than a pound. Bought albums by every contributor and still worship Quintessence. Every track is a 'Stand out' with a particularly heavy nod to Skip Bifferty (I keep singing that same old song), Quintessence (Gungamai) and of course Dr Strangely
Unsung Forum Index