Elton John - Rare Masters

Atomine Elektrine - Laniakea

Julian Cope - Rite Bastard

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Talkin' Blues

Tampa Red - Bottleneck Guitar 1928-1937

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

John Coltrane - The Believer

Dolly Parton - The Best of Dolly Parton (1975)

R.E.M. - Green

Mutantes - A Divina Comédia Ou Ando Meio Desligado

Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

Tod Dockstader - Aerial #1
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2021, 10:48
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 January 2021 CE
Jan 10, 2021, 10:42
Chapman Whitney ‘Streetwalkers’ - their single post-Family, pre-Streetwalkers LP from 1974 is of its time but has some decent songs hampered by a slightly tame production job;
Streetwalkers S/T - but this is much better. In fact, I don’t think Roger Chapman’s chops ever sounded better than here;
Streetwalkers ‘Red Card’ - this stands up really well too. One of those sadly semi-forgotten bands that give the lie to a stale pre-punk scene in the mid-70s. They mightn’t have been the most distinctive band on the block but my, Streetwalkers could rock. This was my first ever coloured vinyl LP (sadly, my copy of ‘Faust’ is on boring black vinyl);
Streetwalkers ‘Vicious But Fair’ - where the rot sets in. A change of rhythm section did the band no favours and the material started to get too predictable;
Sad Cafe S/T - a perfect example of a slickly played and engineered record hampered by its artists’ inability to write a memorable song, at least on this album. In the words of John Peel (albeit in respect of a different band), this is just a waste of electricity;
Bill Nelson ‘Silvertone Fountains’ - more instrumental wonder from this amazingly talented and productive Yorkshireman;
Kevin Coyne & Brendan Croker ‘Life Is Almost Wonderful’ - short but sweet late work by Coyne at his most endearingly sardonic;
Deep Purple ‘Made In Japan’ - I’ve got nearly everything Purple ever released, but this is still THE album for me. In fact, if there’s ever been a better double live rock album than this, I’d love to hear it;
Jethro Tull ‘Stand Up’ - in its first - untampered with - mix, this was (no pun intended) a seriously heavy album, punctuated by some irresistibly jovial and/or pastoral moments. Part two of Tull’s near-faultless holy trinity (plus one!) from ‘This Was’ to ‘Aqualung’. It couldn’t, and didn’t, last;
Dexys Midnight Runners ‘Don’t Stand Me Down’ - there’s been a lot of revisionist thinking about Dexys’ third album over the years but it remains what it’s always been to me: a decent but underwhelming record. It's the first of its three incarnations that sounds the best to me, but with all of them I get frustrated by the conversational elements that sound anything but spontaneous and cloy upon repeated listening. There are some fine songs going on amidst the pointless chat but the record is ultimately disfigured by Kevin Rowland’s unrestrained posturing and, it has to be said, occasionally off-key vocals. And not enough Big Jimmy;
Patrick Moraz ‘Out In The Sun’ & ‘Patrick Moraz’ - I bought Moraz’ second and third solo albums on CD online at a very reasonable price a few weeks back and they made for enjoyable afternoon listening. ‘Sun’, which I had on LP back in the day, is the better of the two;
Anthrax ’Spreading The Disease’ - this reminds me that maybe the pre-Roses late 80s weren’t as lifeless as I tend to remember. It’s a screamer of an album and still rocks like a rabid bitch today. I really enjoyed this;
Judas Priest ‘British Steel’ - well, everyone needs a dumb-metal fix from time to time;
Cabaret Voltaire ‘Mix Up’ - y’know, I’m convinced that if this came out today, it’d be raved over. I still remember my own reaction when I heard Peel play ‘Expect Nothing’ and playing it 42 years later it still sounds like nothing else I’ve heard before or since. If there was an alternate, Bizarro R&R Hall Of Fame I’d nominate Messrs Mallinder, Kirk and Watson in an instant;
David Sylvian ‘Gone To Earth’ - with special emphasis on the excellent Low/Heroesesque instrumental second disc, featuring inspirational contributions from the aforementioned Bill Nelson as well as (natch) Robert Fripp. The sublime, song-based first record is however better still, and (in its very different way from the Anthrax LP mentioned above) a self-reminder that it wasn’t just The Smiths that distracted me from the classical and jazz racks in the mid to late eighties. Sacrilegious as it may sound, I’m starting to think that Sylvian took over Bowie’s torch after ‘Scary Monsters’. Consider the dude’s output from ‘Polaroids’ onwards and see what you think. One of very few artists (Cope included) who matured rather than stagnated in the 1980s;
Shakin’ Stevens ‘Take One!’ - smirk if you like, but Shaky’s first Epic LP from 1979 is a rock and roll (in the original sense of that term) gem;
Keith Jarrett ‘Hourglass’ (from ‘Staircase/Hourglass/Sundial/Sand’) - I played this last week, but it demanded a couple of plays this week too. Lovely music to stroll to;
Keith Jarrett ’No End’ - wherein Jarrett leaves his primary instrument behind to indulge in two hours of low-fi, Garcia-esque guitar noodling - and emerges with surprisingly listenable results, albeit a little one-dimensional. This has grown on me in the seven years or so since it was first belatedly released;
David Holland & Derek Bailey ‘Improvisations for Cello & Guitar’ - surprisingly listenable free jazz from two masters of that craft;
Jon Christensen ‘Rarum XX Selected Recordings’ - this fine, sadly departed drummer left no albums in his own name, but more than left his mark on others’, as this excellent ECM comp confirms;
Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.1 (Krystian Zimerman/LSO/Simon Rattle) - online taster of forthcoming, lockdown-recorded concerto cycle is reasonably promising. Orchestrally it’s excellent but I think Zimerman was subtler and more lyrical in his self-led VPO recording;
Hoddinott: Variants for Orchestra, Op.47 (LSO/Norman del Mar) - distinctive piece staying just the right side of atonality;
Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (Chicago SO/Rafael Kubelik) - incredible to think that this staggeringly good recording was made nearly 70 years ago. Still my favourite version;
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante, K364 & Schubert: String Quintet (London Mozart Players/Harry Blech/Amadeus Quartet & William Pleeth) - lovely Testament remastering of two great early examples of the art of the Amadeus Quartet. Their 1952 take on Schubert’s sublime String Quintet is a truly wondrous thing;
Messiaen: Livre d’Orgue (Gillian Weir) - from her 1994 complete Messiaen cycle, this is as near-definitive as it gets;
Mozart: Rondo in C, K 373 (Henryk Szeryng/New Philh/Sir Alexander Gibson - delightful mini violin concerto in one movement;
Haydn: String Quartets Op.50 nos.1 & 2 (Kodaly Quartet) - snowy morning music;
Bach: Oboe Concerto BWV 1055 (COE/Douglas Boyd) - beautiful music, sensitively played on modern instruments;
Haydn: Symphonies 83 & 86 (Paris Chamber O/Douglas Boyd) - new recording of two ‘Paris’ symphonies beautifully revealing the inner voices of Haydn’s writing;
Haydn: Symphony no.96 (Detroit SO/Paul Paray) - energetic rendition of the so-called ‘Miracle’ symphony;
Haydn: Symphonies 103 & 104 (Concertgebouw/Nikolaus Harnoncourt) - serious, teutonic flavoured readings, superbly played and conducted;
Sibelius: Symphony no.3 (LPO/Owain Arwel Hughes) - well played new recording of Sibelius’ first truly distinctive symphony, if a little too measured for my taste.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2021, 10:50
Jan 10, 2021, 10:50
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl (mono) / Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (mono) / Pet Sounds / Love You

David Bowie - Images / Stage / Lodger / 50th Birthday Concert / Blackstar

John Cale - Fear / Slow Dazzle / Helen Of Troy

Coil - Horse Rotorvator / Stolen & Contaminated Songs / Unnatural History Vols 1-3

John Coltrane - Coltrane / Impressions / Cosmic Music (with Alice Coltrane)

Crass - Christ The Album (studio sides)

Cream - Heavy Cream

John Foxx - Metamatic / The Garden

Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness & Charm (DE 2cd) / P.X.R.5

I Monster - Neveroddoreven

The Kinks - ... Are The Village Green Preservation Society / Arthur (DE 2cd) / Lola Versus The Powerman & The Moneygoround / Percy / Muswell Hillbillies / Collection (The Collectors Series 2LP)

The Lollipop Shoppe - Just Colour

Loop Guru - Amrita

Master Musicians Of Jajouka - Brian Jones Presents The Pipes Of Pan At Jajouka

The Onyx - Kaleidoscope Of Colours

David Sylvian - Dead Bees On A Cake / Everything & Nothing / A Victim Of Stars

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record

Verdi - Requiem Mass (Orchestra Del Teatro Alla Scala, Claudio Abbado (conductor))
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jan 10, 2021, 11:32
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
George Harrison - Living In The Material World

Simon Joyner - Songs For The New Year

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker

Shirley Collins - Heart's Ease

The Beach Boys - Carl & The Passions: So Tough
The Beach Boys - Holland
The Beach Boys - In Concert

Ron Geesin - Ghost Story OST

ABBA - The Visitors
ABBA - Opus 10

Elton John - 21 At 33
Elton John - The Fox

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age

Paul McCartney - McCartney II (2LP version)

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 10, 2021, 17:44
All my Jesus & the Mary Chain CD's, them being:

Honey's Dead
Darklands
Psychocandy.

Their debut album never really gelled with me until now - seemed like a lot of noise!

James - Laid. Not sure what I think of Tim Booth's lyrics and songwriting. This time around I wasn't so complementary!

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures. One of the consolations of getting older is that hopefully you become a bit more receptive and less dismissive aesthetically? Things that never really gelled suddenly have pride of place in your collection. Bit like this. Never really had a strong aversion to it and knew there was something about them, but now appreciating them that bit more

Elsewhere:

Fat White Family - Serf's Up & Champagne Holocaust, the latter making a little way into my affections

Falling - Out of Sight

The Fall - Perverted by Language. Sounding more vital as the years go by. That seems to be my theme this week!

Faith No More - We care a lot
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2021, 20:27
Jan 10, 2021, 20:21
The final 90's JAMC album 'Munci' is worth a listen. Seems to amalgamate everything that had gone before into a a pretty cool, if poppier release (much like Bowie's Scary Monsters did at the time). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNDXDJtQAOamSOmZK9mSdtrzg8jfywVlM

My daughter was only saying the other day how much she was loving various bits of The Fall all over again, must be something about lockdown.

Champagne Holocaust is a blinder of a record. First heard it on headphones fixing a hole in the shed roof. It actually made my ears prick, and i stood up several times and listened just to take in the majesty. They released a 2 disc version as well with loads more goodies on it. On Bandcamp fer DL or CD.
https://fatwhitefamily.bandcamp.com/album/champagne-holocaust-deluxe-edition
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2021, 21:05
Jan 10, 2021, 21:04
Mainly 2020 Releases This Week...

Karma & Desire – Actress

Love & Light – Daniel Avery

Shadow Of Fear – Cabaret Voltaire

Where This Leads – Carlton Melton

Little We Know EP – Extrawelt

Sixteen Oceans – Four Tet

I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep – Ghostpoet

McCartney III – Paul McCartney

A Few Scattered Hours – Memory Drawings

Roisin Machine – Roisin Murphy

Selbstportrait Wahre Liebe – Roedelius

Fall To Pieces – Tricky

Interzone - The Vacant Lots
Damage Control – The Vacant Lots

Shattered Metal Sky – White Hills

Otherwise...

For Ever – Jungle

Everything Was Beautiful And Nothing Hurt – Moby

Connected – Stereo MC's
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 11, 2021, 23:46
Craven Faults – Erratics & Unconformities

The Brian Jonestown Massacre – s/t. Popped up on YouTube after the Auteurs. Don’t think I’ve ever knowingly heard a BJM album, but this, from 2019, was actually rather good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmfBJsWWnIo

The Auteurs – After Murder Park. Start of the year, so a chance to revisit a few old favourites. Here’s Luke Haines, the eternal ghost at the Britpop feast, with one of the best albums of the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4i9100QooY&list=OLAK5uy_k9hPllT2dgwDDlI7c4SvIRJYyvGvkiOas

Godflesh – Slavestate. Hey, great riff, let’s nick it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra9bprHxcqE

Robert Calvert – Test Tube Conceived. His last, and once again, I don’t think I appreciated at the time just how good this was. Definitely due a reappraisal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmaOKDJ4KBA

King Crimson – Discipline. One of the great (and relatively) unheralded art rock albums of the 80s

Eloy – Ocean. Yes, I’m on record as saying this is one of the funniest albums ever released, but… it’s actually Euro prog heaven in places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8b6GQ5C80&t=5s

Neil Ardley – Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows. Brit jazz/prog guy who I have to plead complete ignorance of, but this was perfectly pleasant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgdfA4YJWP0
Unsung Forum Index