Imaginary Cope LPs...

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ayjayemm
ayjayemm
32 posts

Imaginary Cope LPs...
Jan 01, 2021, 20:50
It may just be me, but I've always dreamt of Rite being issued on vinyl.

I imagine it as a sister release to Jehovahkill, over three sides of vinyl with an etching of the stones on side 4. I even went so far as to mock up a sleeve idea mirroring Jehovakill but replacing the blue and gold with purple and silver..

https://imgur.com/a/xV8Uj3F

Any other Cope related items folk wish were available on vinyl??

Also, if island/universal release another money-grubbing, cobbled together, JC compilation, can I suggest they call it 'Money For Old Cope' ??
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Re: Imaginary Cope LPs...
Jan 02, 2021, 18:58
ayjayemm wrote:

Any other Cope related items folk wish were available on vinyl??

Citizen Cain'd & Revolutionary Suicide: vinyl would really bring out the sprawl and beauty of these behemoths. These kind of epic statements get lost in the shuffle in the CD/download era. Imagine if Physical Graffiti or Electric Ladyland had never been issued as LPs.

It's why the word 'album' was introduced in the first place: "...Meaning "long-playing gramophone record" is by 1951, because the sleeves they came in resembled large albums." (From the online etymological dictionary)
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 02, 2021, 23:06
All the "Rite" albums would be wonderful. Because of the timings of most of the tracks (generally there are 4 tracks on each of the albums), they would average a track per side - so they would all be doubles. All released individually but a box set containing all as well.

A live series would be nice too, like what Psychic TV started to do in the 80s - one installment a month ... Sure there is enough decent live recordings spanning his career to warrant that (blimey the full Barrowlands gig would take up 4 albums ...)
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2021, 23:19
Jan 02, 2021, 23:17
Also a great 7" would be a double A with "All The Blowing-Themselves-Up Motherfuckers (Will Realise The Minute They Die That They Were Suckers)" and the original version of "Psychedelic Revolution" with Lucy Brownhills on vocals.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jan 07, 2021, 19:12
That would make a good companion to the Preaching Revolution EP
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 07, 2021, 22:05
It would indeed!
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jan 08, 2021, 13:13
Julian H. Cope
The original single LP version of Jehovahkill that Cope offered to Island and was rejected for being too extreme (Cope subsequently 'compromised' by recording more songs, making it even longer and in some ways, even more extreme).

Side A
The Subtle Energies Commission
Slow Rider
Akhenaten
Necropolis
Sizewell B
Poet Is Priest

Side B
Soul Desert
Upwards at 45 Degrees
Cut My Friend Down
Fear Loves This Place
The Tower

As you can see from the above tracklist, its fairly unforgiving. I recreated it using an mp3 playlist and whilst its not the total classic that Jehovahkill was, it still makes for a unique listening experience. I used the full 20 minute version of Poet in my version but that wouldn't work on vinyl as a single album.
ayjayemm
ayjayemm
32 posts

Jan 08, 2021, 15:55
Funnily enough, I made a cd version of Julian H. Cope. I just inverted the colours of the Jehovahkill sleeve for the cover.
I've also made cds and covers for Queen Elizabeth Hall, Rave-O-Lution, and even a mock up cd single for the Soldier Blue remixes.
I hasten to add, I downloaded all the music directly from HH, after paying for it!
I just dig physical formats. I can't get excited by files on a computer.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jan 08, 2021, 19:46
ayjayemm wrote:
Funnily enough, I made a cd version of Julian H. Cope. I just inverted the colours of the Jehovahkill sleeve for the cover.
I've also made cds and covers for Queen Elizabeth Hall, Rave-O-Lution, and even a mock up cd single for the Soldier Blue remixes.
I hasten to add, I downloaded all the music directly from HH, after paying for it!
I just dig physical formats. I can't get excited by files on a computer.

Me neither. I rip cds for portable listening, but I have to have a physical version in whatever format. I'm a sucker for sleevenotes. Obviously, if it's a digital only release I'm cool with that.
Actually, your response has reminded me that I did create an imaginary Cope (CD) album years ago. I called it 'Fried 2' as it was compiled from tracks 'recorded for the planned follow up to Fried, or of a similar vibe'. Off the top of my head, the track list was:

Disaster
Prince Varmint
Mock Turtle
I Need Somebody
Hobby
Mik Mak Mok
Warwick The Kingmaker
Almost Beautiful Child
Land of Fear

I tried to use Fried as a template for sequencing (epic first track followed by idiosyncratic second track, then brooding third, keyboard driven final song).
Yeah, most of the tracks were Saint Julian era b-sides but these were the tracks that Julian recorded for the next album after Fried that Cally dismissed as too obvious.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Guerilla Grow
Jan 08, 2021, 19:54
You don't have to imagine this one - it's in the Merchandiser now.

Pricey though and a short-run release.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index