Mountain - Climbing!

Third Ear Band - Radio Session EP

David Gilmour - st

AC/DC - Back in Black

Os Mutantes - st

Mutantes - st

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1909

V.A. - Before the Blues Vol. 2

V.A. - Classic Blues Songs Vol. 18 (Blues Images)

V.A. - Compounds + Elements An Introduction to All Saints Records
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 December 2020 CE
Dec 27, 2020, 10:34
Christmas Fucking Carols.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 27, 2020, 15:23
PJ Harvey - Rid of me. Can't really go wrong with Polly

Bert Jansch - It don't bother me. Another Christmas present of my choosing!

Peter Gabriel - Passion S/T. Wonder if it influenced Sexwitch

eMMplexz - Rook to TN34. Somewhat riebald stream of consciousness songwriting with an electronic bed. Not to be listened to in the background

Eluvium - Copia, Pianoworks & Talk Amongst the trees. Given them a go and not liking

Ellen Allien & Apparat - Orchestra of Bubbles

Emily Barker - Sweet kind of Blue. Wanted to like her but didn't
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Dec 27, 2020, 15:49
The Beatles - Christmas Album

David Bowie - Metrobolist / Blackstar

Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill / Celestial Oceans

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Can - Tago Mago

Julian Cope - An Audience With The COPE 2001 / John Balance Enters Valhala

Miles Davis - Live In Europe: Antibes (mono) / In A Silent Way / Bitches Brew / Circle In The Round

Dr Strangely Strange - Kip Of The Serenes / Heavy Petting

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream Of Trains / Eye / I Often Dream Of Trains In New York

Joy Division - Closer

The Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs

Tina & David Meltzer - Green Morning

Midwinter -The Waters Of Sweet Sorrow
Stone Angel - S/t

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (original mix) / In Search Of The Lost Chord

The Pretty Things - Greatest Hits

Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet / Thee Full Pack (12") / Unclean/Mirrors (12") / Pagan Day

Public Image Ltd - Paris In The Spring

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other / H To He Who Am The Only One

Vaughan Williams - Folk Song Album (Alfred Deller & The Deller Consort)

V/A

Midlake: LateNightTales

The Roxy London WC2
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2020, 17:09
Dec 27, 2020, 16:11
Midwinter - The Waters Of Sweet Sorrow

Steve Ashley - Stroll On

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years

Brian Wilson - What I Really Want For Christmas
The Beach Boys - Merry Christmas From...
The Beach Boys' Christmas Album

Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas
Elvis Presley - Elvis' Christmas Album

Low - Christmas

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Windy & Carl - Introspection

Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift To You

The Earlies - Wayward Song EP

The Monkees - Christmas Party

Shirley Collins - Heart's Ease

Jim Sullivan - UFO

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Song
woolybacque
woolybacque
42 posts

Dec 27, 2020, 16:54
1001realapes wrote:

Jethro Tull - Life is a Long Song

I loved this song back then, tho' it was, & will always be, Lady Fonson to me.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2020, 19:50
Dec 27, 2020, 19:09
Hello again all. I’ve not been myself for a while but have kept my stereo warm when I’ve felt up to it. This week I’ve been listening to:

Elton John ‘Jewels’ - my Xmas present to myself. Haven’t got past the ‘Deep Cuts’ CDs yet but my, I’m enjoying hearing some of Reg’s less lauded tracks in this context;
Roxy Music ‘Stranded’ - played this thru my buds on my Xmas Day walk and it damn near rescued that awful day. Not a duff track on it. Oh to be twelve again;
Tangerine Dream ‘Encore’
Tangerine Dream ‘Force Majeure’
Tangerine Dream ‘Dream Sequence’ - these fall at the very end of my personal Tangs phase as I’ve always dug the classic Froese/Franke/Baumann era stuff best of all, plus of course the pioneering Ohr albums so beloved of our erstwhile sitemeister. However, these are very decent albums on their own terms, particularly ‘Encore’ which sounds great in its ‘In Search of Hades’ remaster;
Genesis ‘We Can’t Dance’ - well, what can I say. I dug this out of the mothballs on the recommendation of a dear friend who convinced me that time had not been as harsh on it as I thought. With all due respect to him, I do not concur. This is an awful record, even from the perspective of someone like me who uncooly holds that ‘In The Air Tonight’ is a remarkable 45 and that at least the first three post-Gabriel albums are classics. No. ‘We Can’t Dance’ is a perfect example of the tragedy of a great rock band thinking that they can write pop songs. It has no redeeming features whatsoever;
Gong ‘Gazeuse!’ - c.f. the late 70s Tangerine Dream releases listed above, this bears no comparison with the definitive Gong of the first half of that decade but is a very good LP in itself, particularly for Allan Holdsworth admirers. Great vibes - literally - too. In short, instrumental jazz rock par excellence, a bit po-faced but so what;
Sonic Youth ‘Goo’ - a little more sanitised in feel than their pre-Geffen stuff but still highly individual and enjoyable;
Bob Dylan ‘Christmas in the Heart’ - well, just ‘Here Comes Santa’ really, which brings a smile to even my jaded facade;
Charley Pride ‘Christmas In My Home Town’ - well, it IS Christmas, and poor Charley is sadly no longer with us. Not his greatest memorial perhaps - a bit twee in places - but that golden voice satisfies in any context;
Various ‘Harvest Festival’ - there’s been a recent thread on the Steve Hoffman pages about label anthologies, and this is about the best there is. Aside from the obvious Floyd/Purple/BJH stuff, pretty much every Harvest act from Pete Brown to Wire is royally represented across its 5 CDs, set inside a stunningly illustrated coffee table book. Proof, if it was needed, that Harvest was as enterprising and consistent a modern music label as ever existed;
Haydn: String Quartet Op.9 no.2 (Tatrai Quartet) - this early Haydn quartet was one the last recorded by this eminent Hungarian ensemble in their underrated complete cycle of Haydn’s unparalleled string quartets. It shares the same unforced, natural musicality that distinguished the whole project, which covered nearly three decades. Lovely;
Mozart: Six Variations for Violin & Piano, K 360 (Arthur Grumiaux & Walter Klien) - ‘cos it was the 360th day of the year! Proof that even lesser-known Mozart can be sublime;
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op.22, 90 & 101 (Daniel Barenboim) - having wallowed in Barenboim’s excellent new box of Beethoven’s 32 sonatas, I’ve started to compare it with his previous survey from 2005, from which these three randomly chosen works were culled. Unlike his latest, lockdown recordings, these emanate from live concerts and are more vibrant and less ethereal in feel. Fine as they are, I think I prefer the new ones;
Bach: The Well Tempered Clavier, Book II (Christophe Rousset) - the best harpsichord version of the second book of Bach’s 48 I’ve ever heard, with perfect tempi and not too much extraneous ornamentation. This has been my optimum late night listening for several weeks, and has lightened many depressing evenings;
Bax: Christmas Eve (LPO/Bryden Thomson) - a lesser known symphonic poem from Bax, obviously seasonal but happily bereft of sodding bells and children’s choirs. Admirers of the symphonies will dig;
Francis Jackson: Three Advent Carols, Op.73 (Exton Singers/Matthew Owens) - more seasonal joy from the pen of the great former organ master of York Minster, 103 years old and still with us;
Great European Organs 96: St Bernard’s Church, Baden-Baden (Marco Lo Muscio) - I’ve been gradually collecting CDs from this 100-strong series on the excellent Priory label. This is a particularly exciting release, featuring not only great and lesser known organ composers of the past but a terrific transcription of Rick Wakeman’s ‘Judas Iscariot’ from ‘Criminal Record’. And you know what, the original version (from what I regard as Wakeman’s last good solo album) is actually usurped here. It’s amazing how powerful an old pipe organ can sound.

Compliments of the season, whatever that means to you, and try to stay sane and healthy if you can.

Dave x
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 28, 2020, 23:46
Here Lies Man – Ritual Divination. Latest from the Sabs-meet-Afrobeat guys, and there seems to have been some progression in their sound, stretching things out a bit more to fine effect here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTybhnSgZs

Beautify Junkyards – Cosmorama. Ghost Box’s Spanish outpost. Kind of Tropicalia tinged Broadcast, though only intermittently engaging: https://soundcloud.com/ghost-box/sets/cosmorama

Elephant9 – Arrival Of The New Elders. Oh, this is good, new one from Rune Grammofon jazz prog veterans that’s tighter and more concise than previous efforts, and all the better for it

Fire! – Defeat. RG always seem to release albums in twos, so here’s the latest from avant jazz trio Fire! Just as much flute as baritone sax this time, which is nice

Camera – Prosthuman. New one from krautrock torch bearers for the 21st century – some killer plus filler, but pretty decent overall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYncCO1jI24

Mt. Mountain – Centre. Another band who’ve been putting stuff out for a while, but this one really hits the mark in a kind of ecstatic psych meets Tuareg blues way: https://mtmountain.bandcamp.com/album/tassels

Cobalt Chapel – Orange Synthetic

Mary Lattimore – Silver Ladders

English Heretic – “Anti-Heroes”

Pye Corner Audio – Black Mill Tapes Vol 3

Black Sabbath – Vol 4 (deluxe remaster). A LOT of outtakes on this, but the 1973 live album set still makes this pretty indispensable for fans

Roxy Music – Peel sessions
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Dec 29, 2020, 08:31
woolybacque wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

Jethro Tull - Life is a Long Song

I loved this song back then, tho' it was, & will always be, Lady Fonson to me.

Oh man! was just tearing up at
the version on A Little Light
Music
Unsung Forum Index