24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 December 2020 CE
Dec 13, 2020, 22:12
Two weeks worth here...

Imperial Wax Solvent – The Fall
Re-issue with alternative version and a rough and ready live set.

Cruelty Without Beauty – Soft Cell
There have been some great music autobiographies in recent years with the likes of Mark Lanegan, Tracey Thorn, Viv Albertine and Chrissie Hynde all proving they have a real talent in this area. Others such as Johnny Marr, despite having a story to tell, don't have that same ability with the pen as they would have said in the old days. Dave Ball is perhaps another case in point – his prose doesn't exactly leap off the page but nonetheless his Electronic Boy: My Life In And Out Of Soft Cell book is well worth a read and, as many of these books tend to do, gets better once it gets to the music career. Ball has met lots of interesting people and has had a fascinating career, including an enormous, almost overnight success that would not have been anticipated by many including Ball and his musical other half, Marc Almond who keeps coming back into the story. Despite all these ups and downs and his addictions, he seems to have come out of it all pretty well and if you like Soft Cell then I would say that this account of “Life In And Out” of that legendary synth duo is a must. Great album this, too.

Deutsche Elektronische Musik 4 – V/A
The little tinkers told us that Vol 3 would be the last, but thankfully they have had a change of mind. Two cd's of German music from 1971-83, most of wwhich I will gladly admit is new to me.

Also...
Red – Black Uhuru

Gold Record – Bill Callahan

Ghosteen – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Semi-Legal On The Edge Of Culture – Dope

Five Leaves Left – Nick Drake
Bryter Layter – Nick Drake
Pink Moon – Nick Drake

Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1974 – Bryan Ferry

Escape – Jody Harris/ Robert Quine

Marauder – Interpol

A Few Scattered Hours (& Remixes) – Memory Drawings