Unsung Forum »
Teardrop Explodes / Joy Division at Action Space, London, 6 April 1979

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
frankvink
frankvink
35 posts

Teardrop Explodes / Joy Division at Action Space, London, 6 April 1979
Dec 10, 2020, 06:05
I stumbled across an announcement for a gig I'm trying to verify: https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/April_5,_1979_Action_Space,_London,_ENG

Unfortunately, there is no mention of the source of the scan. It looks to have been folded in quarters, so looks more like a flyer than a page from a fanzine...

I've been in touch with the guys from JoyDiv.org and we are trying to corroborate the evidence.

Does anyone know anything about this (alleged) gig?

Thanks a lot in advance! Frank
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Re: Teardrop Explodes / Joy Division at Action Space, London, 6 April 1979
Dec 11, 2020, 07:25
There's a mention of Julian being at an early Joy Division gig somewhere in Head On. As I recall, he mentions that they had recently changed their name from Warsaw. Can't remember if he was just there, or if the Teardrops were also on the bill. Dont have my copy of head on to hand so cant check if there's any evidence that it might have been this gig.
Makkr
307 posts

Dec 11, 2020, 21:30
It's common knowledge that The Teardrop Explodes played the same bill as Joy Division circa 1979/80 on a number of occasions.
frankvink
frankvink
35 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2020, 12:03
Dec 12, 2020, 12:03
We're looking for info for this specific gig. It's likely that Joy Division was cancelled for this date, but that doesn't mean Teardrop Explodes didn't do the gig.

The guys at joydiv.org collected some more details from Rob Gretton's notebooks.

https://www.joydiv.org/c060479.htm

Also, maybe someone recognizes where the scan comes from (flyer, fanzine)...

Thanks again!
Unsung Forum Index