Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Lou Reed: Transformer - Orginal 1972 Pressing?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Lou Reed: Transformer - Orginal 1972 Pressing?
Nov 06, 2020, 16:19
Does anyone here have an original '72 pressing of this classic?

The damage sustained by the RCA master tapes has resulted in noticeable dropouts in some tracks on more recent remasters, manifesting as slight wobbles here and there in the stereo balance.

I wondered whether anyone could confirm whether or not the same is also true of the original release pressings?
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Lou Reed: Transformer - Orginal 1972 Pressing?
Nov 06, 2020, 17:44
I have the 80s black label RCA German press - on my schedule of things to listen to ... not sure if this affects later all analogue (prob not from original) master pressing) ... but will listen out ...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Nov 07, 2020, 23:31
A slight word of warning: at that stage (early 70s) RCA pressings emanated from their long-defunct factory at Washington in North East England (my neck of the woods) and their popular records weren't always reliable in terms of quality. In the US RCA pressings used what was termed the Dynaflex process (the logo clearly printed on the record label) and were in my experience little better (as well as being very thin, I recall). I think you may be better off looking for a RCA International green label repress from the early 80s, as those were of European origin and generally much cleaner pressings. I have some Bowie RCAs from the same period that still sound great.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Nov 08, 2020, 11:22
Just listening to the black label RCA international 80s pressing and I do not notice any inbalance. Sounds perfectly fine and punchy. As Filter Stoke mentioned the green label early 80s pressings are of good quality - albeit they do not usually have gatefold sleeves. I have a few Bowie and Lou greens and they have no probs. At the time when I was getting into Bowie in the early 80s they were really cheap (£2.99) but the value now fluctuates depending on the release. The black labels RCA international (normally have a barcode - the green labels don't) seem fine too. As for the dynoflex presses some of them are really so thin you could almost bend them in half - but the ones I have sound great. My UK RCA victor Bowies are a hit or miss really - but the hits are awesome.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Nov 09, 2020, 09:28
Many thanks for the informative and interesting replies!

The slight 'stereo wobble' effect is particularly noticeable in quieter tracks like Walk On The Wild Side, especially through headphones.

I've also heard good things about the German pressings ... hmmm, will take all into consideration, give it some thought and have a bit of a fish around.

Thanks again!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Nov 09, 2020, 16:50
Sure you've considered this, but could the wobble be the stylus or cartridge wearing out/acting up? Like many other folk, I also have a bunch of those RCA Victor Bowie releases, and I guess I'm lucky, cos' they still have great sound.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Nov 09, 2020, 21:07
Nice thought, but the wobbles occur in exactly the same places (and to the same extent) on both the Vic Anesini (2002) and Andy Pearce (1998) remasters.

I can't speak to the edition in the boxed set that Lou Reed curated himself shortly before his death, but as it appears the master tapes have not been looked after with the sort of reverential care befitting such a seminal recording ...
Unsung Forum Index