2388 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2020, 11:42
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 31 October 2020 CE
Nov 01, 2020, 04:18
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Knob Lick Upper 10,000 - The Introduction of Knob Lick Upper 10,000

Bill Nelson - Das Kabinet

Van Morrison - Common One

David Bowie - st (1967) (Mono + disc 2 of DE)

Goblin - Zombi/Dawn of the Dead

The Chieftains - st

Jethro Tull - This Was (disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Stand Up (disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Benefit (disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - War Child (Discs 1 & 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (bonus tracks from disc 1, disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die - (disc 1, Associated Recordings from disc 2 of box)

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (disc 1 of box)

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses (disc 1 of box)

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch (Steven Wilson Remix, + long Orion, and early Dun Ringill)

Jethro Tull - A

V.A. - Shut Down
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 31 October 2020 CE
Nov 01, 2020, 09:24
This week’s distractions from impending lockdown solitude and ennui:

Vangelis ‘Invisible Connections’ - what is otherwise one of the quietest records in my collection has foundation rattling bass at seemingly random points, great for testing those subs. One of Vangelis’ most atonal releases, which I hated back in ‘85 yet now consider his best work;
Metallica ‘Garage Inc.’ - aside from their excellent first three albums, this is the Metallica record I like best. Their covers often outdo the originals for sheer power and impact - check out their awesome take on Killing Joke’s ‘The Wait’, for example - and always convey a sense of a supremely able group of musicians enjoying themselves;
Frankie Miller ‘Full House’ - fine ‘77 LP by Scotland’s greatest ever rock vocalist, blessed with a timelessly modern production by Chris Thomas. (Did anyone else catch the rerun of ‘Just A Boy’s Game’ on BBC4 this week? The dude could act!)
Thin Lizzy ‘Vagabonds of the Western World’ - Lizzy’s third and last LP to feature Eric Bell as sole lead guitarist has aged gracefully and deserves serious reappraisal;
The Band S/T - an album I’ve always admired more than loved, but which reveals new subtleties with every listen. I also watched ‘The Last Waltz’ this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it’s clear that what you hear on the soundtrack isn’t exactly how it sounded on the night;
Bruce Springsteen ‘Letter To You’ - this sounds as if it could have been made at any point in the last 45 years, but maybe that’s its appeal. It’s certainly growing on me, especially the repetitive four chord wonder that is ‘House of a Thousand Guitars’;
Bruce Springsteen ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.’ - buoyed by the new album (and that three of its songs go right back to The Boss’ earliest days), I dug out his debut for its first spin in years. I’d almost forgotten how hungry and energised he sounded from the start, with songs that still stand up with the best of his extensive oeuvre: ‘Lost In The Flood’ for example;
Slade ‘Slade In Flame’ - as throughly strong a collection of pop/rock gems as Noddy and his chums ever mustered, including their finest 45 ‘How Does It Feel’;
Van Morrison ‘Common One’ - it ain’t why why why, it just is. My second fave Van LP after ‘Astral Weeks’. Reviewed in more detail in Unsung;
Loop ‘Wolf/Flow’ - these John Peel sessions were how I heard one of my favourite 80s bands for the first time, and how I now believe their legacy is best sampled;
The Psychedelic Furs S/T - still the best Furs album IMHO;
Badfinger ‘Timeless - The Musical Legacy’ - essential comp of a fine, yet sadly doomed, pop band with talent beyond words;
Paul McCartney & Wings ‘Red Rose Speedway’ - rather routine in comparison with the last-named, ironically given Macca’s influence upon them;
Michael Nesmith ‘From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing’ - just a beautiful, smile-inducing, record;
Charlie Parker ‘At Storyville’ - prime Bird in as well recorded a live setting as you’re ever likely to hear;
Michael Mantler ‘The Hapless Child And Other Stories’ - hairy 70s fusion at its most innovative, with a staggering line up of luminaries including Robert Wyatt;
Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Buried Treasures’ - great ‘67 live recording from the final months of the classic line up;
Maynard Ferguson ’Storm’ - wherein probably my fave jazz trumpeter (in technique at least) goes into full disco sell-out mode, yet delivers big time. Not my coolest record but hey, I don’t care - this is fun, and there’s precious little of that around lately;
Weather Report ‘Sweetnighter’ - my favourite WR album captures them while they remained primarily a jazz ensemble. Although they used electric instruments, Wayne Shorter’s sax (and particularly his soprano) reined them in from fusion excess, at least before commercial demands took over. And, much as I dig Jaco, I preferred WR with Vitous on bass;
Chet Baker ’Chet Baker Sings’ - Some records are played for sheer pleasure, irrespective of their genre or critical standing…
John Coltrane ‘Giant Steps’ - …and others are considered great both personally and universally. This, more than the overrated ‘A Love Supreme’ IMO, belongs in every music lover’s collection, jazz loving or no;
Miles Davis ‘Quiet Nights’ - this least lauded of Miles’ Gil Evans collaborations does veer into MOR waters a little but contains some fine moments, not least the final track;
Mal Waldron ‘The Call’ - of which I’ve blustered in these pages many times (including an ancient Unsung review) and still rocks my soul (a pun to Waldron heads). I’m not going to add to my earlier words except to say that this hits me even harder than it did over two thirds of my life ago. Embryo fans will already dig;
Paul McCartney ‘Working Classical’ - the third of Macca’s forays into “serious” music is a patchy but occasionally engaging set: ‘A Leaf’, for example, is a charming, Eric Coates-like piece of light music, and ‘Spiral’ is quite delightful. Could do without the twee chamber arrangements of well known songs though;
Beethoven: Diabelli Variations (Daniel Barenboim) - the greatest of all sets of variations superbly played by Barenboim back in 1981;
Messiaen: Catalogue d’oiseaux (Roger Muraro) - how Messiaen manages to so evocatively paint the sounds, colours and temperaments of European birds and their landscapes using no more than a piano keyboard is an eternal puzzle to me. As is how anyone can play all three hours of it! Muraro manages that effortlessly here;
Schubert: Symphony no.9 ‘Great’ (Concertgebouw/Leonard Bernstein) - vibrant reading balanced with just the right level of sensitivity. Late period Lenny at his best;
Mahler: Symphony no.7 (Concertgebouw/Bernard Haitink) - Haitink’s second recording of this most enigmatic of Mahler’s symphonies is less frenetic than the Solti version I played last week, but much more heartfelt. The finale is well disciplined, if a little less exhilarating than Haitink’s superb live rendition from Xmas 1985 which remains my favourite;
Beethoven: Symphony no.2 & Egmont Ov (BPO/Andre Cluytens) - good, straight interpretations;
Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Musicaeterna/Teodor Currentzis) - I’ve heard over 200 recordings of this symphony, which I regard as the finest sequence of notes ever put on paper. This newish record preserves one of the very finest renderings of those notes I have ever heard. Mean playing time (only half an hour) but after a performance as electrifying as this, who’d want more?

May the sun shine down your way.

Sonic (virtual) handshakes

Dave W x
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Nov 01, 2020, 09:53
Alternative TV/ Here & Now - What You See ... Is What You Are

Tim Buckley - Lorca / Starsailor

The Clash - London Lyceum 3-1-79 / London's Calling

Cluster - Zwei-Osterei (Kluster) / Cluster II

Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy / Crooked Crosses For The Nodding God / Black Ships Ate The Sky / Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain

Julian Cope related -
Brain Donor - Love Peace & F***
Black Sheep - Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse
Dope - Dope On Drugs / Village Idiot Dope / Black Math

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way / Live-Evil

The Doors - Demos 1965 / Celebration Of The Lizard (soniclovenoize reconstruction) / An American Prayer

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin Companion / The Terror

Gong - The Universe Also Collapses

The Pretty Things - Greatest Hits

Psychic TV - Force The Hand Of Chance / Mouth Of The Night

Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Rock'n'Roll with The Modern Lovers / Modern Lovers "Live"

Stereolab - Oscillons From The Anti-Sun

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush / Harvest

V/A

The "King" Kong Compilation

Next Stop ... Soweto

Nuggets
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Nov 01, 2020, 11:43
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Elton John - Honky Chateau

Scott Walker - Scott 4

Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Junk Culture
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - Crush
Orchestral Manœuvres In The Dark - The Pacific Age

Mercury Rev - All Is Dream
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration

H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft
H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft II

Hugh Cornwell & Robert Williams - Nosferatu

XTC - Apple Venus
XTC - Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2)

Dave & Toni Arthur - Hearken To The Witches Rune

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

of Arrowe Hill - Hexadelica & The Speed Of Darkness

John Carpenter & Alan Howarth - Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2020, 12:39
Nov 01, 2020, 12:38
Dave, love your great knowledgeable soundtracks contributions!
This one is for you!

Audience – Friend's Friend's Friend
Great progressive album that featured songs from the lovely kitchen sink drama „Bronco Bullfrog“.

The Gary Burton Quartet With Eberhard Weber – Passengers
Eberhard Weber - Fluid Rustle
Webers Bass and Burtons Vibes is a marriage made in heaven.

Sham 69 – The First The Best And The Last
999 – The 999 Singles Album
The Lurkers – Greatest Hit - Last Will And Testament...
Widely considered as „stoopid“ punkrock but you can’t deny these groups had a great share of singles.

Television Personalities – Where's Bill Grundy Now? EP
Television Personalities – ...And Don't The Kids Just Love It
Dan Treacy turned 60 this year – still obscure and largely forgotten.

Gary Numan – Photograph (The Best Of)
Did Bowie really write a song about him?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Wildlife
Still a nice bunch of original songs on that german compilation.

The Upsetters + Friends – The Upsetter Collection
BRIAN ENO: I think I was one of the first people who was really into reggae, especially dub reggae. And, in fact, I remember playing it in 1973, playing, or '74, playing Bucky Skank, which is a Lee Perry, one of his most extreme experiments. I remember playing it to a group a journalists who absolutely didn't get it. They were completely scratching their heads and thinking, "What is this music, where does it come from?" Who, only two years later, were smoking trumpet-shaped joints to the very same record. So, what happened was that then, in the late '70s, a few groups came out that were, sort of, white boys doing reggae. What I said is that I don't particularly like that kind of reggae.
Source: Australian Broadcasting Commission MAY 31, 2009 - by Andrew Frost

Psycho Team – Bolero (Atmosphere Records)
Early Italian Techno 12“ with five glorious takes on Ravels Bolero – SHAKE.

Various – Champion Sound (The Best Of Kickin Records Volume One)
Early breakbeat techno compilation – full of raw energy. Always loved Zero Zeros „Sanity Clause“.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2020, 14:36
Nov 01, 2020, 14:35
Current 93 - Soft Black Stars (NP), Calling for Vanished Faces, Thunder Perfect Mind

Dope - Environmental Studies Cassette & 12' single

Coil - Musick to play in the Dark Vol1. Peeps like Mongo and Garerama are starting to influence my tastes somewhat! This is a great synth album.

Butthole Surfers - Double Live

Sexwitch - S/T

Julian Cope - Bristol 20'

Honey - Weekend Millionaires

Hatis Noit - Illogical Dance

Hookworms - Microshift. Dismissed this lot rather unfairly as Mark Riley indie darlings. And I do check out his sessions quite regularly and enjoy a fair share of the fare! Saw them live in 2018 and they were amazing. I think Cope went on about one of their previous EP's. Have since disbanded with some controversy around their lead singer.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Nov 01, 2020, 16:09
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Julian Cope - Bristol 20'

Do tell.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Nov 01, 2020, 18:25
ricky nadir wrote:
Dave, love your great knowledgeable soundtracks contributions!
This one is for you!

Audience – Friend's Friend's Friend
Great progressive album that featured songs from the lovely kitchen sink drama „Bronco Bullfrog“.

The Gary Burton Quartet With Eberhard Weber – Passengers
Eberhard Weber - Fluid Rustle
Webers Bass and Burtons Vibes is a marriage made in heaven.

Sham 69 – The First The Best And The Last
999 – The 999 Singles Album
The Lurkers – Greatest Hit - Last Will And Testament...
Widely considered as „stoopid“ punkrock but you can’t deny these groups had a great share of singles.

Aw, humble thanks for your kind words, fellow Hammill admirer. And salutations for your record choices as above, most of which stand very high in my own affections. Inspired by your words, I'm definitely going to make time for some Audience this week as I haven't played their records in years. As for Sham and The Lurkers, their first albums were constant plays for me in 1978 and still give me a rush every time I hear them (a part of me being eternally seventeen!). And those ECMs you've mentioned both figure among my favourite jazz albums of the 70s, especially 'Passengers' and the lovely Metheny composition 'B&G (Midwestern Night's Dream)' which is music to melt to.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2020, 21:50
Nov 01, 2020, 21:33
If my rather suspect memory serves, someone from this board put a download link up at the time. You wanna copy? I think my email address is available in the usual way if you wanna pass on your details.

*Edit*

I can share it with googledrive apparently
keith a
9573 posts

Nov 01, 2020, 22:25
Fur – Archie Bronson Outfit

Stray – Bambara

1 – The Beatles

Red – Black Uhuru

Shadowhead – Marc Bolan & T.Rex

Glassforms – Bruce Brubaker / Max Cooper

War Machine – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

La Vita Nuova (EP) – Christine & the Queens

Party In The Chaos – Deflore & Jaz Coleman

I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep - Ghostpoet

Deleter – Holy Fuck

Nuh Skin Up (45) – Keith Hudson

EP'S I & II – Japanese Television

Play - Moby

Contradiction – Ohio Players

Discography – Pet Shop Boys

Where Things Are Hollow 2 (EP) – Pye Audio Corner

Battery Park, NYC, July 4th 2008 – Sonic Youth

S/T – Tom Tom Club

The Colours Started To Sing Again (CDS) - Transglobal Underground

Fall To Pieces – Tricky

S/T – Ultravox!
Systems Of Romance – Ultravox!

Pursuit Of Momentary Happiness - Yak

Head In The Clouds – V/A
Compilation inspired by ‘70s German electronic music, specifically bands such as Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel, Popol Vuh.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index