Unsung Forum »
RiP Eddie Van Halen

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

RiP Eddie Van Halen
Oct 06, 2020, 20:44
Loved Van Halen growing up, this is sad. Made some superb albums in his heyday. Fuck you, cancer.
prefernot
35 posts

Re: RiP Eddie Van Halen
Oct 07, 2020, 06:57
Although I agree with Frank Zappa's assessment that Eddie ruined a generation of young guitarists by focusing on speed and showmanship (and to be fair, Frank included his son, Dweezle, in that assessment), I think the world had more fun in it because of Eddie's presence. I listened to Van Halen's first LP tonight in tribute. Regardless of what Frank thought, it was fun to listen to Eddie play. Brain Donor chose wisely when they covered "Atomic Punk."
hallgeraet
hallgeraet
96 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 13:28
Also have listened to Van Halen's debut album recently after a long time. First thing that strikes you is the airy sound production (in this type of genre). Pretty often you hear just one guitar in the mix, panned slightly off center. Absolutely fresh sounding and totally different from todays over-compressed full blast productions. RIP Eddie
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 14:05
prefernot wrote:
Although I agree with Frank Zappa's assessment that Eddie ruined a generation of young guitarists by focusing on speed and showmanship (and to be fair, Frank included his son, Dweezle, in that assessment), I think the world had more fun in it because of Eddie's presence. I listened to Van Halen's first LP tonight in tribute. Regardless of what Frank thought, it was fun to listen to Eddie play. Brain Donor chose wisely when they covered "Atomic Punk."

I don't agree with Frank on that assessment, but what EVH did is to shake the Hendrix shackles off and wake people up to a different way of playing. Shredding was only one component of his technique. He had melody running down his pant legs.

RIP EVH
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 15:27
Citizensmurf wrote:
prefernot wrote:

I don't agree with Frank on that assessment, but what EVH did is to shake the Hendrix shackles off and wake people up to a different way of playing. Shredding was only one component of his technique. He had melody running down his pant legs.

RIP EVH

I read somewhere recently that what most of the younger guitarists influenced strictly by his tapping and shredding styles lacked was the ability to swing, or lay down a groove. It was just chops and flash. But Eddie was a great all rounder with an outstanding singularity. RIP
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 19:11
Citizensmurf wrote:
He had melody running down his pant legs.

Absolutely!!!!
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 20:32
As a 15 year old kid, Van Halen at Ipswich Gaumont in '78 just blew me away having never heard anything by them beforehand.

Off the scale, and as has been stated/written many times over the ensuing years, Sabbath didn't get a look in.

Never cared too much after that but, oh boy, that first impression!

RIP
prefernot
35 posts

Oct 08, 2020, 05:43
Well, Frank may have been right about the influence on young guitarists, but he should have added that Eddie could pull it off and sound great. Too many people tried to copy Eddie but didn't have the talent and the inner muse to do it right.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Oct 09, 2020, 02:06
https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/van-halen-atomic-punks
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Oct 09, 2020, 15:55
Glam Descendant wrote:

This is a great boot. I found a copy years ago. Truly a legendary band.
Unsung Forum Index