Unsung Forum »
Stooges: Live At Goose Lake, August 8, 1970

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Stooges: Live At Goose Lake, August 8, 1970
Aug 11, 2020, 16:51
The best sounding live Stooges from 1970.

Which isn't saying much. But it is.

The sound quality is very good. Not Georgia Peaches quality, but not Soldier Field 1970 by any means.

The performance is marvellous.

Live, this band was unstoppable.

Last performance with the original lineup.

FUN HOUSE played in its entirety.

I'm so glad James Cassily recorded this.

Before this, all most people had to go on with Goose Lake was only the yellow-tinted and tinny-sounding footage of "1970." No longer!
Bolox2
110 posts

Re: Stooges: Live At Goose Lake, August 8, 1970
Aug 11, 2020, 16:54
Yes. Tremendous. And puts to bed the myth about Dave Alexander 'not playing a note'.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Aug 11, 2020, 17:27
The Seth Man wrote:

The sound quality is very good. Not Georgia Peaches quality, but not Soldier Field 1970 by any means.

Before this, all most people had to go on with Goose Lake was only the yellow-tinted and tinny-sounding footage of "1970." No longer!

Very cool find and release. The audiophiles are complaining how bad it sounds. Clearly they have not listened to some truly bad Stooges bootlegs. Compared to some of '73 audience recordings, this sounds like Steely Dan.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Aug 11, 2020, 19:22
The Seth Man wrote:

Hey man!

Waiting for my vinyl (that was duly preordered) to arrive still. The clips sounded great though, being indeed a Stooges live recording.

Anyway, i've always maintained that people REALLY don't dig/get stooges if they think that the bootlegs etc. are "unlistenable" (like i've heard many saying). "Audiophiles"... Haha!

Can't wait to hear the gig in it's entirety, not only because it being the last with the og lineup..!

Just found a small write up on the festival here:

https://revuewm.com/music/events-festival/item/2817-goose-lake-1970

"One massive, drug-saturated mess"

"Humanity gone wild, if you will"
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 13, 2020, 17:15
Bolox2 wrote:
Yes. Tremendous. And puts to bed the myth about Dave Alexander 'not playing a note'.

Indeed. I always suspected Iggy had other issues with him and that his ragged performance here was just the tip of the iceberg. In the article Please Kill Me published about him Scott Richardson speculates that he may have been unknowingly spiked with PCP before the show, which - if there's any truth in it - doesn't seem like a good enough reason in itself to fire someone.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 13, 2020, 17:23
Indeed. I'm glad there is a better-sounding recording of this set out there than the brief clips on YouTube would suggest.

I'd love to hear a boot of the show that the later band with James Williamson played at the Kings Cross Cinema (now the Scala). I've attended many gigs there, and I walk past it most days as it's five minutes' away from my workplace, and I keep trying to picture the scene in my head as it would have been in 1972. It was a far scuzzier and more dangerous area then, and I can imagine English audiences not being ready for the full-on sonic brutality of the Stooges at all. Maybe a recording will turn up sometime, but somehow I think if it were ever going to happen it would have done so by now.
Bolox2
110 posts

Sep 08, 2020, 19:57
Iggy told Paul Trynka:

“I have a wonderful ability to forget things, which has been really good for me. But I’ve been reminded since working with the group again from time to time, that at one point I said, No I won’t work with Dave any more on bass, and that... the whole thing began to slide apart. However, there I was out on a stage at Goose Lake and there was no bass. He just had a complete mental lapse, too stoned, and he couldn’t play a note, he couldn’t play the songs, he didn’t know what he was doing, and er, that’s traumatic, for somebody that… I was serious about this shit. So there began... the group never had a focus after that.”

Either the other Iggy Pop or the other Dave Alexander. Or another Goose Lake.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

More Live Stooges
Sep 12, 2020, 21:42
Different time and line-up, but this came in the latest Cherry Red mail out:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/iggy-and-the-stooges-you-think-youre-bad-man-the-road-tapes-73-74-5cd-boxset/?mc_cid=0163382aaa&mc_eid=991f769167
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2020, 14:51
Re: More Live Stooges
Sep 14, 2020, 02:52
Vybik Jon wrote:

Hmmm. Is that Auburn Hills show previously released? I've got the others already, but not sure about disc 2.

Edit: It's the Michigan Palace show that has been floating around for years. I have it on a silver cd from Bomp! Looks like this set doesn't offer anything new to me.
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Sep 30, 2020, 06:30
Funny how Iggy was so out of his skull on various drugs throughout the late 60s/early 70s but later talks as though he was lucid and responsible while the other guys were a bunch of stoner fuckups. Not that I was there but history suggests they were ALL stoner fuckups at the time. No judgment, I'm one too, but hey Iggy, let's be honest!
And yeah, I agree, messing up a gig because someone dosed you on a powerful psychedelic is not a good reason to be fired from a band, unless the band is something totally straight-laced, and even then it's pretty unfair in my view.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index