David Bowie

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: David Bowie
Sep 09, 2020, 22:13
I liked how DB decided throw "The Heart's Filthy Lesson" single out without much fuss the year before (it kinda didn't get much airplay and sorta plummeted sales and chart-wise). I don't think he really cared too much about that first single's performance. Then to herald his "real singular" return with a tune he wrote with Eno and got Pet Shop Boys to produce... It hit all the marks! DB knew NOTHING could go wrong with that kinda pedigree and of course he was right. Pet Shop Boys wrote themselves all over the "charty-pop" version they produced for Bowie and I am sure DB wanted and loved that. The British Charts were full of Oasis, Boyzone, Take That, Celine Dion and suchlike. I remember seeing Bowie on TOTPs with PSBs and thinking "Thank Fuck!". The PSB remix/remake creamed its way up the charts and had Bowie back on TOTPs with the most successful British synth pop production duo ever. Bowie nearly got a top ten single out of it and even got David Mallet back to direct the video (Mallet had directed the "Ashes to Ashes" Video). Astonishing considering Bowie'd pretty much been off the popular radar since the Leftfield collab thing three or four years before... and a long time really since anything raised his profile before that...

https://vimeo.com/349310835

Unsung Forum Index