David Bowie

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

David Bowie
Jul 29, 2020, 21:13
I watched Bowie's Glastonbury performance from 2000 (loved it), but I'd never heard Hallo Spaceboy before.

Oh yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlL_9LyvJUg
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2020, 22:35
Re: David Bowie
Jul 29, 2020, 22:34
Good call - t'is a great song. Am I right in saying that this was the first time the full set was available as Bowie vetoed all but a handful of songs to be shown at the time?

Dunno if you're aware that it was a single off the 1.Outside album? (which is certainly in my top 5 Bowie albums)

The Dissonance and energy is something else
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2020, 00:58
Jul 30, 2020, 00:57
I shall be investigating the album further.

Ta!

EDIT: Yes, I think it was the first full set broadcast.

It'll be on again.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 30, 2020, 12:51
Be interested to see what you make of it. Quite an unconventional one of its kind affair that might not be for everyone!
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Jul 30, 2020, 23:09
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Dunno if you're aware that it was a single off the 1.Outside album? (which is certainly in my top 5 Bowie albums)

Funnily enough I recently listened to Bowie's post-Tin Machine/pre-The Next Day albums for the first time and 1.Outside is easily my favourite from that period. I was surprised what a return it was to a Diamond Dogs-style concept album, but much more expansive and inventive. Being a Pet Shop Boys fan I even bought the collaboration single version of 'Hello Spaceboy' at the time but had no interest in checking out the album it came from. At least I've belatedly discovered what I was missing. It's a classic.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Aug 01, 2020, 12:44
I can remember buying it for something silly like 15.99 at HMV or somewhere. The most expensive CD I have but I thought I'd treat myself just the once. £10 is enough now - mostly from gigs. Yes, a very creative and inventive concept album. The other stand out track for me was the one used on David Lynch's Lost Highway - I think if memory serves called I'm deranged. He really belts that one out in places and I love the production too.
dannycomb
6 posts

Aug 01, 2020, 17:07
I have very fond memories of purchasing this on release as a teenager with limited funds and not much of a cd collection. Consequently played it to death and got enthusiastically stuck into the sleeve notes. One of the highlights is how Strangers When We Meet is tacked on the end as a little reminder that straight down the line romantic pop songs could be banged out as and when deemed necessary.

Would have absolutely loved to see the teased follow up but it wasn’t to be. Still blessed to have everything Bowie left to the world.

There is a cool semi-cover of one of the songs in the film Starship Troopers that came out a couple of years later, I considered myself extremely clever to pick up the reference in the cinema surrounded by my oblivious friends.
daveroberts45
30 posts

Aug 02, 2020, 18:45
for the follow up to 1.Outside, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZ_k2RoHB0
There are various version of these, but these are edits from a mammoth recording session the band did
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Aug 03, 2020, 09:46
Of the Bowie post-Tin machine stuff I would agree that 1. Outside is probably the best, however, I also think that its predecessor Black Tie White Noise is a a real forgotten gem. A totally different kind of album - produced by Nile Rodgers therefore more accessible, but unmistakably Bowie. Definitely more personal, with references to his marriage to Iman and the suicide of his brother. By going back to working with Rodgers and Eno at that time it's like Bowie was carefully reaching into his past for inspiration while at the same time driving forward with new ideas.

Also from that era - The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack album is very good, and somewhat akin to 1.Outside
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Aug 11, 2020, 06:14
Buddha is for me the watershed album that kicks off the last section of his career, or at least the section that ends with Heathen. It's cracking, but that whole run is if you ask me.

I came into Bowie off the back of Earthling so '...hours' is *my* Bowie record being the first I bought contemporaneously. Outside is such an amazing body of work, even with the "acting" bits. It makes you wonder if they really did plan to do a whole stage show/immersive experience with it, something that would be completely achievable now.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index