Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Re: David Bowie
Aug 24, 2020, 14:44
Vybik Jon wrote:
I shall be investigating the album further.

Good stuff!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Sep 09, 2020, 22:13
I liked how DB decided throw "The Heart's Filthy Lesson" single out without much fuss the year before (it kinda didn't get much airplay and sorta plummeted sales and chart-wise). I don't think he really cared too much about that first single's performance. Then to herald his "real singular" return with a tune he wrote with Eno and got Pet Shop Boys to produce... It hit all the marks! DB knew NOTHING could go wrong with that kinda pedigree and of course he was right. Pet Shop Boys wrote themselves all over the "charty-pop" version they produced for Bowie and I am sure DB wanted and loved that. The British Charts were full of Oasis, Boyzone, Take That, Celine Dion and suchlike. I remember seeing Bowie on TOTPs with PSBs and thinking "Thank Fuck!". The PSB remix/remake creamed its way up the charts and had Bowie back on TOTPs with the most successful British synth pop production duo ever. Bowie nearly got a top ten single out of it and even got David Mallet back to direct the video (Mallet had directed the "Ashes to Ashes" Video). Astonishing considering Bowie'd pretty much been off the popular radar since the Leftfield collab thing three or four years before... and a long time really since anything raised his profile before that...

https://vimeo.com/349310835
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2020, 17:59
Re: David Bowie + Leftfield????
Sep 11, 2020, 17:57
Never heard of this!

Edit: ah, the Jump They Say remix? Thought I'd missed an entire studio Collab thing like they did with Lyndon/Halliday/etc
Maggot
1 posts

Sep 18, 2020, 20:28
Listening to That aint no way to make a million, and it really reminds me of Station to Station.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 05, 2020, 14:37
Has anyone heard the Glastonbury Fayre solo set by David from 1971?

There was a brief burst of Bombers on Radio Geronimo website many years ago .. and the BBC played something else in a recent ( excellent doc ) from early this year.
haffi
haffi
39 posts

Dec 09, 2020, 20:53
You should get EVERY Bowie album. Like Cope, most are not the same . Classics. Check out Hallo Spaceboy on the 50th birthday concert on youtube with 3, yes 3 drummers, among them Dave Grohl. Phenomenal!!
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Dec 10, 2020, 23:26
"Hallo Spaceboy" was my gateway drug to Bowie -- I found the promo CD of "Outside" in the campus radio station in fall of 1995, during my senior year of college. I took the CD home and still have it. Don't get pissed -- the radio station was defunct, anyway. Well, I played it a bunch and loved it, particularly this track, given its NIN sound. I was a NIN freak at the time...and, coincdentally, I soon thereafter saw Bowie with NIN in Pittsburgh, PA. Actually it wasn't Pittsburgh, but somewhere near it. What a great show! Opening act was Prick (I still have that CD, too), then NIN came on and did a great set. Then -- and I have always remembered this -- the stage got dark and Trent Reznor started playing a saxophone bit (later I would realize it was Bowie's "Subterraneans") and Bowie just waltzed onto the stage (no other word for it). Just zero fanfare or announcement, it was just Bowie walking on. Then he did a set with NIN, after which NIN departed and Bowie's band came on. I was bummed at the time because I couldn't help but notice ALL THE PEOPLE MY AGE WHO KEPT LEAVING. I was like you morons, it's David Bowie!! I think I read years later that Bowie himself noticed how many people would leave once he came on, and just sort of chuckled it off.

After this I went down a Bowie rabbit hole, buying all the Ryko Bowie CDs and later on some of the original vinyl. I moved away from Bowie eventually and only just recently got back into Man Who Sold The World, mostly thanks to Seth Man's review. In fact it inspired me to finally get this one on vinyl...it's my understanding the Ryko CD neutered Visconti's bass. I did an A/B comparison of the original mix and this new "Metrobolist" remix and went with the former...it just sounds heavier to my ears, and Metrobolist sounds like a victim of the loudness wars, with every instrument jacked up with little subtlety to the mix. And hell for all that the original mix is still heavier -- "She Shook Me Cold" sounds like it coulda come off "Paranoid!"
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Dec 11, 2020, 19:18
Lovely account Joe - thank you.

Sort of reminds me of my post-Heavy Metal musical doldrums in the mid-80's and reading a review of the first Throwing Muses album in one of the inkies. Found it in the local library and never looked back.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

1. Outside
Dec 16, 2020, 07:23
It calls you back time and again doesn't it?

Compelling, uneasy, provocative,
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2020, 13:42
Re: 1. Outside
Dec 16, 2020, 13:37
Glad you rate it too. I have a question for anyone really. Someone recently mentioned they toured with NIN for this album. Did they also share any personnel as there is that vibe about it - particularly hello spaceboy?!

*Edit* as usual I haven't quite got the facts right! It was Joe Kenney's post and the tour was not long after the album was released. Really love Mike Garson's piano play. I think there was a Tin Machine connection with personnel at least? I'm probably just speaking out of the top of my hat
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index