Tangerine Dream's Phaedra in Mind-Blowing Japanese Re-issue

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Tangerine Dream's Phaedra in Mind-Blowing Japanese Re-issue
May 25, 2020, 14:28
Holy Citrus. I'm listening to the new, expanded Japanese re-issue of TD's Phaedra with two additional CDs of truly mind-blowing, utterly beautiful extra tracks and e-p-i-c outtakes. Stunning and essential stuff. Bummer is I'm listening to it on Amazon Prime and when I dutifully went to buy the album I discovered its...gulp!...45 pounds/bucks. VERDAMMT! In these lean Covid times that's a bit too much to part with, and I'm really stressed out about it.

Anyone know if this thing'll get a domestic pressing?

Anyone else check it out yet? It's part of a whole new line of remasters of TD's Virgin daze.

Did I say how freakin' great it is?

Z
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: Tangerine Dream's Phaedra in Mind-Blowing Japanese Re-issue
May 25, 2020, 15:48
The remastered Phaedra and bonus tracks also appear on the In Search of Hades boxset. If you're a Virgin-era TD fan, that set's definitely worth getting, and probably cheaper overall than buying each remastered album separately.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

May 25, 2020, 16:04
Oh, thanks man! I had no idea. The 100 pound price is more than fair given all the music. Hope it stays in print so I can grab it in the future.

Have you heard all the remasters? Are you down?

Cheers PD.
phallus dei
583 posts

May 25, 2020, 20:57
Zariadris wrote:
Oh, thanks man! I had no idea. The 100 pound price is more than fair given all the music. Hope it stays in print so I can grab it in the future.

Have you heard all the remasters? Are you down?

Cheers PD.

At preset I've just heard it all as MP3s via my computer speakers, but if I end up getting the decent-paying job I'm applying for - fingers crossed! - I'm going to splurge. The real set also contains some videos and surround sound mixes. The remasters sound good to me, but the real prize is the copious bonus material, which is uniformly very good to great. Most of it comes from the classic Phaedra - Rubycon - Ricochet period, too. The general view from the audiophiles on the Steve Hoffman forum is that the remasters are superb.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

May 26, 2020, 10:39
Good luck on landing that gig Phallus Dei. I've got my fingers crossed for you too.

My missus, supportive as ever, is very generously encouraging me to go ahead and pull the trigger and get this set. I'm so tempted... And Amazon has the auto-rip option for $160.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Tangerine Dream: Phaedra (SHM-CD) Japanese 3-CD
May 27, 2020, 16:32
Zariadris!

Thanks for posting.

I recall last year when the multi-disc box set, IN SEARCH OF HADES (2019) was released because a friend bought it. He knew how much I love PHAEDRA (1974) and RUBYCON (1975) and mentioned that the outtakes of were more of the same greatness of T-Dream from that period.

Now on YT listening to the fifth outtake from PHAEDRA ("Flute Organ Piece") and I've already ordered both PHAEDRA and RUBYCON in their Japanese multi-disc versions.

Yes, they are expensive.
Yes, they are from Japan.
Yes, they're SHM-CD format.

Which is the reason why they sound so holographic.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't get them sounding nearly as fantastic if they got a domestic release because SHM-CDs are manufactured in Japan only. I have several dozen CDs in this format and they sound occult.

(Recommendation is opinion only and not intended as an advertisement. Please use sound critical judgement before purchasing. Outcomes may result in altercation, divorce, and/or blown minds.)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited May 27, 2020, 19:14
Re: Tangerine Dream: Phaedra (SHM-CD) Japanese 3-CD
May 27, 2020, 19:13
The 5.1 mix of Phaedra alone was worth the price of the box, never mind all the other goodies.

I'm really digging surround mixes now that I have a great setup. DSOTM is killer in 5.1, and I'm only a casual PF fan.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited May 27, 2020, 22:23
May 27, 2020, 22:21
Seth Man,

I so admire your devotion to the immaculate sound - and word (beautifully written post, as usual).

Would love to be a fly on the wall as you spin Phaedra in all its apocalyptic glory.

My itinerant life has left me in very lo-fi straits. How I long for the days of having a good system set up for surround sound. It's been a while. Across an ocean in a storage unit are a few audio DVD's - pre-Blu-Ray - of 5.1 mixes of L.A. Woman, Brain Salad Surgery, Atomic Rooster, etc, that I picked up at Tower Records, of blessed memory. Loved that shit. Your description of the Japanese reissues fills me with awe and the hope to one day listen to this music in full holographic, occult mode.

I agree man, the additional material on Phaedra is fantastic. I listened to the Rainbow concert last night and it blew my mind. Cyclone sounds fucking great. Oedipus Tyrannous is up next.

Please come back and describe how the CD sounds when you get a chance.

Peace.

Z
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 28, 2020, 17:02
Great. I haven't had the pleasure yet (PHAEDRA) but did (DSOTM) about 20 years ago when I had a copy of the SQ quad version on LP. At this point, the 5.1 in all certainty blows it away.

Had a discussion with a friend last night about Quadraphonic versus soundstage. I'm more than OK with QuadraDisc and it's oft-used separation, entirely different mixes and altogether extended versions of tracks but my friend had a point: if your system creates a strong soundstage with a sonic depth of field, it's achieving with two speakers what quadraphonic was trying to do in the mid-1970s with four.

End result: if it gets yer ya-ya's out and in, lights your mind fire, then...mission fucking accomplished!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 28, 2020, 17:10
Thanks, Zariadris. You are too kind.

As a fly on the wall, you'd be hard pressed to see anything as I know I'll be previewing this one in the dark -- with only a scatter of twinkling white lights spilling out of the closet. Ha!

Looking forward to delivery sometime next week. It'll be a peak experience, I'm sure!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index