Dave Greenfield RIP

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Dave Greenfield RIP
May 04, 2020, 18:07
Another sad loss to the Virus.
May the great Raven lead you to fairer shores.
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Dave Greenfield RIP
May 04, 2020, 20:11
The Stranglers were the one early punk / new wave band who had a keyboard player - and he was such an integral part of their sound so it's sad to hear this. I've just played Hanging Around - the first thing I ever heard by them and which is still possibly my fave Stranglers number. Dave's playing is great on it, setting the scene for what he would come to be known for. RIP x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited May 04, 2020, 20:35
May 04, 2020, 20:34
Just heard. Made me very sad. The Stranglers were an integral part of me and the other half's dating rituals way back in the late 80's. She was an uber fan, and I was nonplussed tbh, but over the years, through familiarity I grew to love them deeply too, wether it was the edgy/angrier early sounds, or the more melodic later period , it all got under my skin. Punk or no, Dave's keyboard sound definitely lent the Stranglers a different and distinctive sound compared to many bands of their contemporaries. RIP Dave, xx
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

May 04, 2020, 23:03
This has made me very sad. At least I got to see the Stranglers at Lunar Festival in 2018, Greenfield and Burnell both still on great form.
wychburyman
951 posts

May 05, 2020, 13:46
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
Another sad loss to the Virus.
May the great Raven lead you to fairer shores.

RIP indeed

This has upset me a lot. The first album, Ratus Norvegicus, was a game changer for me. It steered me away from mid 70s pop/pap and opened up a whole new world.the "swirling" keyboards were a signature that hooked me in. For me, the black-and-white album, as well as the Raven were immense. Literally, I've lost count of the times that I've seen them live, including a time when some friends and I went to Rennes in northern France to see the band on a couple of successive nights in around 1993. We met up and chatted with the band after the 2nd gig and I can honestly say I thought he was a gentleman, very quiet, but always willing to indulge you in conversation.

Fly straight with perfection Dave.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

May 05, 2020, 18:39
Really sad news (but I’m not gonna cry...). Dave was a fine keyboard player and such an integral part of The Stranglers’ sound that it’s nigh-on impossible to think of them carrying on without him.

RIP and thanks for the music, mate.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

May 05, 2020, 20:52
Great loss. As has been said such an important of The Stranglers and just one of the key things that made them stand out against everybody else during punk pandemic. Just listening to "Black & White" which for me was probably the first album I ever really got into and repeat played when I discovered music at the tender of 10.

Was fortunate enough to see them, albeit on later Cornwell period tours (Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime) - the former most memorable as it was at the Glasgow Apollo in the stalls before it closed - it should have been the last gig at the Apollo as there were barely any of the seats left intact ... I did see them post Cornwell but didn't have as much of any impact. Incredible they made it close to 45 years!

R.I.P. Dave x
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

May 06, 2020, 21:41
The Jimmy Smith of punk-rock! So sad news :-(
Unsung Forum Index