FOAD find! Another gap filled.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
darrell
49 posts

Edited Feb 29, 2020, 10:52
FOAD find! Another gap filled.
Feb 29, 2020, 10:51
This morning's postal delivery here included Mark Spaceship's FOAD album 'Spaceship', a disc I thought would elude me forever. Rather forlornly checked Discogs, on the offchance, last week - and found that Dave W of White Hills was offloading a copy of it! Received the sturdily-packaged item just minutes ago and can't wait to hear it.

Gradually filling those more obscure gaps on my JC shelves. Though the words "I curse the self-copulation of your lousy record collection" (MES, 'New Puritan') always manage to haunt me whenever I do!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: FOAD find! Another gap filled.
Feb 29, 2020, 16:17
darrell wrote:
This morning's postal delivery here included Mark Spaceship's FOAD album 'Spaceship', a disc I thought would elude me forever. Rather forlornly checked Discogs, on the offchance, last week - and found that Dave W of White Hills was offloading a copy of it! Received the sturdily-packaged item just minutes ago and can't wait to hear it.

Gradually filling those more obscure gaps on my JC shelves. Though the words "I curse the self-copulation of your lousy record collection" (MES, 'New Puritan') always manage to haunt me whenever I do!

Nicely done dude. Clearly I have the same obsession. Don't let Mr. Smith's lyrics bring you down, I'm pretty sure he had a copulation or two with his own collection, like we all do.
darrell
49 posts

Edited Feb 29, 2020, 16:43
Feb 29, 2020, 16:38
Playing the album now. How I've lived without this for so long, I don't know. Well worth the wait. Lovely packaging design (the closest a jewel-cased CD cover can get to being 'gatefold', I guess!) with Mark in traditional HH/FOAD/Brain Donor devil-horn-throwing, axe-wielding pose; and music to match. Julian's bass-work is very prominent and noticeable, but in no way does it take the shine off the main man's staggering performance. I'd be happy to have this in the collection if it were a piece of unlistenable crap, given my incurable completism - but the reason we're obsessed with tracking all of this stuff down is that we know 99 per cent of it will hit that sweet spot in our mind's eye.

I've been working on a JC discography for a while now (started mainly for my own personal use, to make some sense of exactly what I'd got and what I needed, but which I may make public soon as well as inviting corrections/additions); by my count, and with this recent purchase, I'm down to missing just a handful of items now. Though who knows what other stray pseudonyms/side projects/guest spots might be out there besides the dozens we already know and love?!
tippy wooder
85 posts

Mar 01, 2020, 17:00
Darrell, it would be amazing if you'd share that discography you've compiled!
darrell
49 posts

Mar 01, 2020, 18:30
I intend to, once it's been knocked into shape a little more and once I can figure out the best way to present the info (thinking of setting up a basic website so I can keep it accessible and updated). As you'll be aware, it's a nightmare to compile! I seem to be attracted to characters like Julian and MES, who go/went out of their way to make releases difficult to get and discographies hard to complete for loyal fans, never mind people with a passing interest. Over the years I've managed to build a Fall/Smith collection with every LP and single, plus all kinds of odd releases, one-offs, and guest spots, and I'm not far off with my Cope archive now either (the Spaceship CD being the one I thought I would never get) - although, as noted earlier, who knows what pseudonyms or side-projects are in plain sight that we haven't identified yet?!

That's another point to make regarding the discography - I'll be more than happy for folk here at HH to correct it or to suggest additions, once it's ready for public view. Will strive to get something ready soon.
darrell
49 posts

Mar 01, 2020, 22:32
tippy wooder wrote:
Darrell, it would be amazing if you'd share that discography you've compiled!

Ok tippy and any other interested parties - tonight I've started work on a very rudimentary Julian discography website. It's a bit of a disordered and lacking-in-finer-detail thang at the moment, but most of the major titles are listed, There's a Teardrops section, solo, side-projects, and 'miscellaneous'. My plan is to work on this steadily through the next few months, adding full tracklistings, details of alternate releases (US versions, that sort of stuff), release dates, format details, and bits and pieces of additional info. If there's anything glaringly wrong, or missing, feel free to let me know, and bear with me while I try to get it all into shape. Enjoy browsing, and expect it to look much better and less basic with time. Here it is:
https://darrellpbuxton.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Mar 03, 2020, 12:42
There's more where that came from...

https://forged-river.com/
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Mar 03, 2020, 12:42
darrell wrote:
Mark in traditional HH/FOAD/Brain Donor devil-horn-throwing, axe-wielding pose

If only I were still that skinny...
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Mar 03, 2020, 13:49
Dude, you had me at 'In-Psychlopedia". Brilliant.

Long live true heads like yourself; the chroniclers, compilers, the blessed obsessives.

Seriously man, it looks great, and I got it bookmarked. This is gonna be one hell of a work-in-progress. Exciting to see it get off the ground. Congrats, and thanks...
darrell
49 posts

Mar 03, 2020, 13:53
Spaceship mark wrote:
There's more where that came from...

https://forged-river.com/

At the JC discography site I'm setting up, a sort of 'Cope friends/collaborators' list is included on one page, so I've added the Forged River link next to your name, Mark, if you don't mind.

Loved the FOAD album, having finally had the chance, and wanna hear more!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index