Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 February 2020 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 February 2020 CE
Feb 09, 2020, 05:44
Bel Canto - White-Out Conditions

The Byrds - Preflyte (Floating World 2cd)

The Wailers - 1963-1972 disc 4 (custom comp)

Atomine Elektrine - The Antikythera Mechanism

Tangerine Dream - Flashpoint

The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation - Succubus

V.A. - Memphis Masters, Early American Blues Classics 1927-34

Alice Cooper - Easy Action

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers

Bee Gees - Tales from the Brothers Gibb (disc II)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 February 2020 CE
Feb 09, 2020, 09:11
Talk Talk ‘Laughing Stock’ - Still amazingly stark and disturbing after nearly thirty years;
Peter Hammill ‘Over’ - I’ve loved this since it first came out and still find its confessional rawness astounding;
Magazine ‘Magic, Murder and the Weather’ - Underwhelming original swan-song by a great band;
Poco ‘Crazy Eyes’ - Of its time, but thoroughly fun;
Brand X ‘Masques’ - Guilty pleasure. Nuff said;
Mike Oldfield ‘Hergest Ridge’ (‘Boxed’ mix) - Still my fave Oldfield album, especially in this mix;
Mozart: Haffner Symphony (Concentus Musicus Wien/Harnoncourt) - Severe, but exciting;
Mozart: Symphony no.39 (SCO/Mackerras) - Runner up in yesterday’s Building A Library in R3. Superbly recorded, rhythmically sound but lacking last ounce of charm IMHO;
Beethoven: Hammerklavier Sonata (Richard Goode) - Enlightening, but a not quite great interpretation;
Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1 & 2(Lubin/AAM/Hogwood) - Very good, but my heart remains with modern instruments in these works;
Beethoven: Symphony no.9 (Minnesota Orch/Vanska) - Good on detail, but no sense of cataclysm;
Brahms: Symphony no.1 (LGO/Masur) - Oh dear, very dull;
Brahms: Violin Concerto (Accardo/LGO/Masur) - Another non-event;
Wagner: Die Meistersinger (VPO/ Knappertsbusch) - Wonderful, uplifting stuff, despite obviously limited 1950 sound.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Feb 09, 2020, 12:48
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

David Bowie - Hunky Dory
David Bowie - The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

Vangelis - Heaven & Hell
Vangelis - La Fête Sauvage
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Vangelis - Spiral
Vangelis - Beaubourg

Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon/Dog Of Two Head

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

Tortoise - Tortoise
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Tortoise - TNT
Tortoise - Standards

UFO - Phenomenon
UFO - Force It
UFO - No Heavy Petting

Julian Cope - Skellington
Julian Cope - Droolian

Socrates & Vangelis O. Papathanassiou - Phos

Bee Gees - Trafalgar
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Feb 09, 2020, 15:44
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Magazine ‘Magic, Murder and the Weather’ - Underwhelming original swan-song by a great band;

Couldn't agree more. I seem to have 3 copies of this somehow (though I think one is my wife's vinyl copy from her Uni days). I must have played it about once every 5 years or so, just to check if it's a dire as I recall. It is. What were they thinkng?
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2020, 16:43
Feb 09, 2020, 16:41
Woohoo, it's windy out there...love it! Anyways, have been battling a three week long cold that I can't seem to shake no matter how many supplements I neck.....the sorest throat I've ever had fer a week or more.....even my missus agrees it's more than man flu this time. Still, at least it gives me an excuse to sit back and tune out fer a while.

Liars - 1/1 OST
Said last week it was my fav Liars release of the last several years...turns out from finally reading the cover it was recorded in 2014, so probably the last 'real' Liars album before they became 2 them 1, which probably explains my preference.

Stooges - Fun House/ Raw Power (x3)
Raw Power X3. 1x = Original vinyl (scratchy, old, much loved/abused). 2x = Iggys 'this one goes to 11' remix (loved it when it was released, not so much now). 3x = The recentish remaster of Bowie version which I think is my fav' sonically. Does it sound different, well yeah, but in subtle ways it's hard to put my finger on Vocals are more to the fore on some songs, guitar on others. all tracks sound cleaner/ better balanced to my ears, but hey, I could just be imagining it all in my tiny mind.

Iggy - Zombie Birdhouse/Soldier/Party
Not his best period. Zombie is head and shoulders above the other two though.

Alien Sex Fiend - Possessed

F.U.S.E. - Dimensions

VA - Electrical Language; Independent British Synth Pop 78-84

Warmduscher - Tainted Lunch

Calvert - Capt Lockheed....

Bowie - Stage/Ziggy Motion picture

These two GWAR moments on youtube made me chuckle.
I'm hooked on the San Fran/Hollywood Ameoba Records 'what's in my bag' series where they hassle a ramdom celeb about what they've bought. Anyhow GWAR is my fav of the series so far. The other is a surprisingly good GWAR cover of PSB 'West End Girls' which works sooooo good as a metal song. Always loved their Warhammer 40 000 garb. That's dedication.
GWAR - West End Girls + People Who Died (Jim Carroll Band Seque) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-uPX1dt_w
What's In My Bag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pe5nBasiOA

Sure there was more, but my heads a bit foggy. Have a good one!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 09, 2020, 17:25
Saw Sam Lee with full band at St Petroc's church in Bodmin at the weekend and purchased The Old Wow (the latest album) as a consequence which is pretty fine. As with a lot of folkies, there is a preoccupation with nature and keeping old song traditions going.

The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge

Been going through what little John Cale I have - Slow Dazzle, Paris 1919 and vintage violence. Been laughing myself silly singing along with hanky panky know how in a rich welsh voice. Although the latter 2 in that list are probably rated more, it is the former that I prefer. The Heart break hotel cover of course helps and is repeated in the June 1st 1974 live album he participated in with Eno et al.

Thomas Newman - The adjustment Bureau OST

Them - the angry young Them. Think i prefer this to solo VM

Thee oh Sees - Orc. Got some early EP's which were quite tasty but not that fussed with this

This is the Kit - Krulle Bol. Got a few moments but not essential

Ten Years After - Watt. Prefer a space in time but not bad.

Thom Yorke - Suspiria. Rated this somewhat. By no means a fan of Radiohead, but they have had their moments and this is another for Thom. Moody electro ambient fare in keeping with modern Radiohead.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Feb 09, 2020, 20:15
Daevid Allen/ Gong related - Stoned Innocent Frankenstein (DA - Bananamoon remix & out-takes)/ Angel's Egg (Gong) / Live Floating Anarchy 1977 (Planet Gong) / New York Gong / Dreamin A Dream (DA) / Sixty Minutes with Daevid Allen

Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come / Sing A Song For You

John Cale - Paris 1919 / Fear / Slow Dazzle / Helen Of Troy

Judy Collins - Who Knows Where The Time Goes (mono)

Comets On Fire - Avatar

Coral - Distance Inbetween

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquitte

Miles Davis - Miles In The SKy / Filles De Kilimanjaro / Water Babies / Big Fun / Get Up With It

Sandy Denny - Gold Dust

Dr Strangely Strange - Kips Of The Serenes / Heavy Petting / Halycon Days

Nick Drake - Made To Love Magic

Faust - S/t / So Far / IV

The Focus Group - Sketches & Spells

Forest - S/t / Full Circle

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (1967 mix) / Caught Live + 5

Harry Nilsson - Arial Ballet / Nilsson Schmilsson

Nirvana - Nevermind

Psychic TV - Live In Gottingen / Southern Comfort / Live At Thee Pyramid

The Stooges - S/t (2cd) / Funhouse (2LP / Penetration

Talk Talk - Natural History

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra / Ricochet / Stratosfear

Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report (40th anniversary 2cd)

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 09, 2020, 22:01
Satta Massagana – The Abyssininans

Blank Generation – Richard Hell & the Voidoids

Hello Happiness – Chaka Khan

Down Underground (LP's 2009-14) - The Liminanas
I’ve Got Trouble In Mind Vol 2 (7-inch and Rare Stuff 2015-18) – The Liminanas

Blakk Rainbow EP – Karim Maas

Hot spot – Pet Shop Boys

8 Way Santa - Tad

Mind Hive - Wire
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2020, 22:29
Feb 09, 2020, 22:29
Rustin Man – Clockdust. New one upcoming from ex-Talk Talk guy, hot on the heels of last year’s excellent Drift Code. Artful, melancholy and occasionally surprising stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT9ukDa_b2Y

The Necks – Three. I don’t know if this is par for the course with The Necks given their modus operandi, but the first track is near-unlistenable due to the frantic drum track, the second one is jazzy ambient meh, the third one is rather wonderful. Difficult buggers.

Sula Bassana – The Box

CB3 – Aeons

Revbjelde – Hooha Hubbub

Wax Machine – Earthsong Of Silence

Katie Gately – Loom

Sons Of Raphael – s/t

Gang Of Four – A Brief History Of The Twentieth Century. Solid Gold was the first Go4 album I heard, and still love, even though they’d already been written off by the UK press by 1981… Hearing it in 1988, it already seemed like thrilling if ancient history. How times (and time) have changed.

Roedelius – Tape Archive Essence 1973-78. New comp, doing what it says on the tin. Suffice to say, Eno was listening very closely: https://soundcloud.com/bureau-1/roedelius-tape-archive-essence-1973-1978-preview

Amon Duul II – Phallus Dei / Live In London / The Best Of 1969-74. Bit of an ADII spurt. IMO, PD has its moments, but is mainly of historical interest only. However, LIL is pretty great, and the comp (from 1999) is a brilliant introduction to them if you’ve never partaken… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVcUPBbhNs
Unsung Forum Index