Unsung Forum »
"Self Civil War"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

"Self Civil War"
Jan 17, 2020, 15:54
...is a fantastic album. Never off my hard drive.

If you're reading this and have not scored a copy yet, I'd suggest you do so NOW because it's a solid achievement and a total showstopper.

I've been listening to it on repeat for the past 26 hours and been constantly re-amazed by it.

I was also prompted to watch two documentaries on the English Civil War because except for the Battle of Marston Moor (July 2, 1644), I knew pretty much nothing about it except Cromwell and possibly, The Conqueror Worm. (UK title: Witchfinder General.)

There's a track on "Self Civil War" that -- out of the hundreds (see below) of songs Julian's recorded solo -- is a total lightning in a bottle moment: "A Cosmic Flash."

Like "Torch" or "I Can Remember This Life," they all seemed so familiar even on first listen, and did things no other songs did -- and v-e-r-y subtly when they did.

I hear about six of my favourite bands in it, but it's so fresh and unlike anything I've ever heard before you'd be hard pressed to compare it to any of them.

Anyway, "Self Civil War" is one squarely specific, supremely nailed album. Gonna listen to it all day.

PS: I had a dream Mark E. Smith wrote a song about Julian's discography and called it "Output of Supreme Psychedelicist." Besides being pretty spot on right, it got me thinking: how many songs are there in Julian's solo discography?

The total number was 420 but that’s not even including the material he wrote for:

Teardrop Explodes
Queen Elizabeth
Brain Donor
L.A.M.F.
Black Sheep (except for the "Preaching Revolution" EP)
Dope

Also:
- Not even Whopper: “Kwalo Klobinsky’s Lullaby”
- But: Rabbi Joseph Gordan 45 and the Droolian LP are included.
- A couple of duplicates (re-recordings) like “Land Of Fear,” and “I’ve Got My T.V. And My Pills” were included.
- All remixes are includes.
- But none of the 131-related releases.
- "Double Vegetation" counted once.

It’s serpently complicated.
moggieboy
moggieboy
29 posts

Re: "Self Civil War"
Jan 17, 2020, 18:05
I've got mine sitting here shrink wrapped and can't play it till Monday when I get access to one of those fancy CD player things at work. Will wetransfer it over to myself then. (unless someone fancies beating me to it...?)
moggieboy
moggieboy
29 posts

Jan 17, 2020, 19:35
Sorted! On it. Cheers...
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Jan 18, 2020, 19:15
moggieboy wrote:
Sorted! On it. Cheers...

And so am I - thanks kind sir
tinribs
12 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 14:07
It's a brilliant record. That ain't no way to make a million is the best slice of R'n'B that Pharrell Williams is yet to rip off!
Makkr
307 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2020, 18:00
Jan 22, 2020, 18:00
For me, it's a typical Cope offering and as idiosyncratic as you like.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jan 22, 2020, 20:27
Ello darlin xxxx

I got to agree. I didnt fully get it on firzt listen but after maybe the 3rd listen it was like a download and then i was in alignment with his vibe. Im on repeat too and its just getting better and better. Also loving cosmic flash. I think i love the words the most. I felt the same with the skelli gton 3 like a new phase was here in his lyrics. Theyr somehow pastoral and fitting for his age and years of honing his craft. I really love it, many layers still revealing themselves each day. Its got some great riffs and love the guitar play, lots of interest for me. Bravo julian xx
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Lamenting A Lame Disc
Jan 23, 2020, 15:56
After listening to SCW for the first and half for the secont time I (still?) find Cope's new album an honest piece of work - for a semi-retired elderly ex-popstar and ex-enfant terrible of the glorious early 90s. Honest insofar as there's no attempt at glossy production or mainstreamed songwriting.

That may look good at first glance, but lack of producer's ambition can be a two-edged sword. I hail Julian's "fuck you" attitude towards music industry and musical mainstream, but still I wish somebody told him to straighten out some of the earlier songs on the disc and to speed up those following later on. There's lots of musical Copeisms, fake-mellotron melodies, ideas, poetic lyrics - enough to make a brilliant album, but most of it sounds demo-ish or rather casually put together by some kind of "professional amateur".
The lacking youthfull energy of probably Pegga-era tunes was already there on "Citizen Cain'd" or "Dark Orgasm". But what was compensated there by the sheer volume of electric guitar assault leaves this collection of songs a little empty, if not to say lame at times.

Latter-days Odinist Julian was never better than with Hugoth and Mooney looking over his shoulder.
That much for wordplay I will surely give the odd thing another try - probably It'll grow on me like "Autogeddon" did over the years.
Three Fingered Pete
50 posts

Jan 24, 2020, 18:44
Mrs Ahab wrote:
Ello darlin xxxx

I got to agree. I didnt fully get it on firzt listen but after maybe the 3rd listen it was like a download and then i was in alignment with his vibe. Im on repeat too and its just getting better and better. Also loving cosmic flash. I think i love the words the most. I felt the same with the skelli gton 3 like a new phase was here in his lyrics. Theyr somehow pastoral and fitting for his age and years of honing his craft. I really love it, many layers still revealing themselves each day. Its got some great riffs and love the guitar play, lots of interest for me. Bravo julian xx

Really chuffed you like it Mrs A.
See you on the tour.
Chris
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2020, 14:50
Jan 30, 2020, 14:48
Still haven't properly wrapped my head around the album as a whole. But I'm loving it!

And there's so many awe inspiring moments and generally so much to digest (though it's pretty much thoroughly catchy as fuck) that it might take awhile although I've been spinning it or parts of it daily for more than a week now..

It's something rather singular!

Also, had to remind myself about a point Julian himself was also making already years ago: You got to allow an artist his/her own metaphor in order to appreciate the art. Or something along those lines. In order to let the album 'open' more.

And that got me thinking that just how much of his own language Julian has developed by now (and I don't mean only verbally. But also musically, through investigating/listening/ripping/intuiting and by just following/continuing on his singular trajectory)!

420! That's a respectable figure. (and gave me ideas, now that the clock is about 4:20 up here..).
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index