SELF CIVIL WAR?

43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Re: SELF CIVIL WAR?
Jan 12, 2020, 22:21
My copy also arrived super quick on Saturday, the day after release. Just giving it its second spin. It’s pretty long at over 70 mins - JC hasn’t used the approach he’s often previously taken of splitting it over two discs. As a listening experience it’s...ok. The usual rather flat dynamics we’ve become used to in Julian’s releases since the 1990s. The normal references to drugs, Odin, Marlborough Downs etc. Some nice instrumental touches here and there and the odd track that may become an ear worm - but more than its fair share of rather plodding stuff. In terms of his song albums released over the last 20 years I agree that it’s reminiscent of “Rome wasn’t Burned...” and “An Evening with the Cope”. Better than ‘Revolutionary Suicide’ and ‘Drunken Songs’ but nothing on it that’s as thrilling as the high points on ‘Black Sheep’ and ‘Psychedelic Revolution’ (and those albums certainly weren’t flawless). I would like to see him record some kick-arse songs with a decent producer, sound engineer and get it properly mastered - along the lines of Jehovah Kill - which I’m sure he could do (but doesn’t want to).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index