Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2020, 20:15
Re: HMV
Jan 10, 2020, 20:15
Zariadris wrote:
Bourbonus wrote:
One of my main hobbies is to have a day out, and go to a few places that still have independent record shops, it's a case of keeping hold of a loved one whilst they're still here!

Amen, brother/sister.

A few things I find myself really missing about record stores:

1. The way the music playing over the sound system overlapped as you moved from one section of the store to the other. This was a unique pleasure of the big box - “highstreet’ - megastores. I used to deliberately slow down between the doorways to hear the beautiful cacophony of say, Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake mixed with Mingus’ Ah Um (remember how the classical and jazz departments were always next to each other?)

2. The surly, hipper-than-thou clerks, who wielded their cool like emotionally withholding parents whose validation I craved as a kid! I felt as shy as a schoolboy buying a playboy whenever I’d approach that taciturn dude at the register - the guy with the Fall t-shirt - to pay for my pathetic Saxon LP!

Very much a brother :-)

There's some great memories on this thread, the type that HMV could only dream of! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has them! Apparently, I have a HMV £5 voucher, from their useless, temporary app. I'll be lucky to get a single for that, if they have any!!

Unsung Forum Index