HMV

20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Re: HMV
Jan 07, 2020, 03:15
Here in Yeovil we had a great independent record shop from 1973-2015, but they couldn't find anyone to take the business on, when the owner wanted to retire. He told me that for the last few years he wasn't making any discernible profit, but didn't want to let his regular customers, like myself, down, so carried on as long as he could. I'm very much old school, try to buy local and independent as much as I can, especially as they would go the extra mile, got to know you and would message you, if they thought a single or album that was about to be released would be of interest to you. They were usually the same price or cheaper, and I mourned them. Stores like that helped develop my love for music, you just don't get that online or from a shop that's part of a chain.
When the Cult's Sonic Temple box set was due, I thought "I'll make the effort, and pre-order it from my local HMV". Before their last takeover, the manager could order me any new release, but since this time last year, it's always "I can try ordering it, but we're only getting one copy in, and I can't guarantee that you'll get it, and even if you order it online for click and collect, there's no guarantee you'll get it that way, either". Yes, they've increased the amount of vinyl, but it's often damaged because browsers pick it up and squeeze it back into where it's stored, and as far as I know you still can't order anything online bar pre-orders. I prefer independent stores, being able to browse in person and have conversations with the shop owner, often a massive music lover, but now most people buy online or in supermarkets, and only go in town centres to have a coffee, buy an expensive phone, or go to the gym. One of my main hobbies is to have a day out, and go to a few places that still have independent record shops, it's a case of keeping hold of a loved one whilst they're still here!

Unsung Forum Index