Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 December 2019 CE

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 December 2019 CE
Dec 11, 2019, 20:48
Shepherd In A Sheepskin Vest - Bill Callahan
On first listens, it sounded like Bill had forgotten how to write songs and that he just had random conversations over some acoustic guitar pluckings, but it kinda grows on you.

Cope Notes #1 – Teardrop Explodes
As you may know, I loved the Teardrop Explodes. From Liverpool cult band to genuine pop stars to forgotten heroes. All in four short years, leaving us with two vastly underrated albums and a string of great singles (and memories of some of the finest gigs I have ever seen). Always moving forward, never standing still and with more lineup changes in such a short time than even The Fall could match, the Teardrops were quite unlike any other group. Had Julian Cope popped his clogs at that point he would surely be spoken about with an Ian Curtis-like reverence and have the morbid squad dissecting his every utterance. Instead, of course, he went solo and embarked on a rich, fascinating, baffling, and quite bonkers career. But the Teardrops was where it all began and now Julian has suddenly, without any warning or fanfare whatsoever, released the Cope Notes #1 cd, a look back at those early days. Consisting of snippets of old recordings with added recollections over the top, it is quite unlike any other album I can think of - with the added bonus of a lovely booklet consisting of lyrics, photos etc. I'm not sure it is something I will play that often but I know for fact that it will be one of my most treasured music related possessions.

Also...
Satta Massagana – The Abyssininans

Space Oddity (50th Anniversary) – David Bowie

Everybody's Doin' The Hustle & Dead On The Double Bump – James Brown

The Original Sound Of Sheffield '83/'87 – Cabaret Voltaire

Ghosteen – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Are You A Dreamer? - Death & Vanilla

Best of the 60's - The Hollies

Death Trip – Iggy & the Stooges

Must I Evolve? 12” - Jarv Is

Hello Happiness – Chaka Khan

Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band