John Balance Enters Valhalla

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: John Balance Enters Valhalla
Aug 20, 2019, 18:30
I think JC has aced this. The first three tracks are just splendid. Lulls you in and sounds at points like nothing is really happening... then you realise it is utterly full, grooving and utterly happening. Tracks 1 and 2 ("Sandoz" & "Positive Drug Test") are kinda joyous and upbeat. Marvellous. Track 3 ("John Balance Enters Valhalla") enters with sombre strings before some very familiar "classic" JC keyboard sounds noodle around and a relentless piledriver continues the trip. I like what JC does with track 4 ("John Valour") it is kinda playful and the core of the track seems to still be there despite having its innards gradually extracted by some kinda audio-cosmic vaccuum filter device. The final track ("Geoff, Voller Tapferkeit, Aber Leer Von Magen, Betritt Die Grosse Küche Der Unterwelt Odin") is a pleasant winding down of double bass, distorted guitars, burbling keys and echo filtered for four and half minutes to nothing.
I like how the CD has come out as a Julian Cope release. A tribute to a friend maybe have been as much a tribute if it had a different attribution. And while JC didn't call John Balance "Geoff" in life, he does on the final track as the fallen warrior Geoff "brave but hungry" enters Odins kitchen...

I'm really enjoying this very coherent sounding release on constant rotation on my car journeys this week. Marvellous package all round. Smashing, fresh-sounding tribute.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index