John Balance Enters Valhalla

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Re: John Balance Enters Valhalla
Aug 19, 2019, 16:13
I would highly recommend this for the curious lapsed Cope fan. I was pretty shocked to hear how PRODUCED it is (relatively speaking) compared to many of the releases from the last 10 years or so.

SANDOZ has a Mushroom-by-Can thing going on. POSITIVE DRUG TEST and JOHN BALANCE ENTERS VALHALLA are the main reasons for getting this. Both long, lush, dubby (!) in places, FX-laden joys. The final two tracks are not bad but don't quite reach the dizzy heights of the rest. It reminded me of Rite 1 and 2, the orange Dope LP (a world away from the almost Black Sheep-like Dope that we have now - I have yet to make it to the end of Black Math!), Poet Is Priest-style Jehovahkill (a bit)... but mainly it sounds like nothing Cope has done before. Andrew Weatherall will love this.

Unusual for Cope to release something like this under his own name and not a band or project name. I'd love to know how this morphed into a Cope LP proper. The cover artwork is great too. This one really deserves an LP pressing. It's great - go buy!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index