Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Re: John Balance Enters Valhalla
Aug 12, 2019, 11:07
I'm REALLY loving this so far.

What's the story though? Why is this a JC album and not a Dope album, given that some of the songs were (apparently) supposed to appear on the first Dope album?

In fact, any useful sources about Dope's history and the unreleased "semi legal on the edge of culture" LP and "too much religion" EP would be appreciated. Did they ever exist and, if so, why weren't they released?
potjebier
16 posts

Aug 14, 2019, 06:08
I don't have any inside information, but on a nerdy level: the matrix of this CD (pressed by and/or glass mastered at MPO) has a date of December 1, 2018. Seems it has been lying around for a while?
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Aug 15, 2019, 13:41
My copy slapped down onto the hall carpet this morning. I'm sure it must be something to do with a sound payment system on this website, the excellent way HH have of charging the right amount for packing in a padded envelope... slapping the appropriate size of Royal Mail Postage Stamp on it... a clearly printed label with my address on it... but Head Heritage just deliver the goods.

Oh - and the contents aren't half bad either - Lovely! Thank you.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Aug 16, 2019, 12:22
is there anywhere to get a sample of this before purchasing?
thesussexidler
64 posts

Aug 16, 2019, 16:47
I'd buy it if I were you - it's a really good release. This comes from the guy that can't stand Black Math!!!!
BJR
5 posts

Aug 16, 2019, 19:07
thesussexidler wrote:
I'd buy it if I were you - it's a really good release. This comes from the guy that can't stand Black Math!!!!

I hear ya brother. Couldn't get on with Black Math, but this is a wonderful cd, best I've bought from HH for a good while
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Aug 16, 2019, 19:57
Beyond people saying how great it is, no one has really said what it sounds like - points of reference, other Cope product etc?
phallus dei
583 posts

Aug 16, 2019, 22:45
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Beyond people saying how great it is, no one has really said what it sounds like - points of reference, other Cope product etc?

Stylistically it's a cross between Dope and Rite, but in terms of feel, the tracks sound like they could be late-night jams made during the Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill days. They've got that same shamanaic exploratory vibe. Definitely a "return to form" of some sort. I'd rate it as my favorite Cope release since Drunken Songs. (I haven't heard all the Dope stuff)
Three Fingered Pete
50 posts

Aug 17, 2019, 02:06
phallus dei wrote:
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Stylistically it's a cross between Dope and Rite, but in terms of feel, the tracks sound like they could be late-night jams made during the Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill days. They've got that same shamanaic exploratory vibe. Definitely a "return to form" of some sort. I'd rate it as my favorite Cope release since Drunken Songs. (I haven't heard all the Dope stuff)

I like the description you give, regarding Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill, dope and Rite.

I can assure you, the JBEV sessions were not late night jams and not all that long ago.
Im pleased to see everyone is digging the vibes too.
thesussexidler
64 posts

Aug 17, 2019, 09:12
I feel the same - keep enjoying!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index