Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2019, 12:36
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 August 2019 CE
Aug 06, 2019, 12:28
Monganaut wrote:
keith a wrote:
Time's Up – Buzzcocks
The 1976 demo's featuring Devoto singing a number of songs that Shelley would later sing on the debut album. Raw but pretty darn essential.

I saw the re-formed Stereolab the other night in Manchester. Some great moments, especially Metronomic Underground which was spine-tingling. Laetitia seemed especially to enjoy herself.

I do love that Devoto 'Times Up' recording, a nice glimpse of what could have been had he stayed with the Buzzcocks (But then thinks of the horror, would we have had Magazine if he had?

Oh yes indeedy. For me, 'Time's Up' is THE essential first wave punk LP, even more than 'Damned Damned Damned', 'The Clash' or 'Bollocks'. It has a low-fi punch and honesty that renders it a truly authentic document of 1976 and still sounds as fresh as a daisy forty-odd years on. And there are no thrills in the over-produced Buzzcocks product that followed quite as visceral as Pete Shelley's free form solo on 'Can't Control Myself'. That gives me shivers to this day. Every home should have one!

Unsung Forum Index