Register
Unsung Forum »
All hail Dr. John, The Night Tripper

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

All hail Dr. John, The Night Tripper
Jun 07, 2019, 01:39
Just for the ever-perplexing and intoxicating voodoo stew of GRIS-GRIS -- and especially "I Walk On Guilded Splinters" -- I'm never going to forget this guy.
And hearing "Right Place" on AM radio in the seventies.
And "Such A Night."
And his appearance on EXILE ON MAIN STREET.
And...
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2019, 07:46
Re: All hail Dr. John, The Night Tripper
Jun 07, 2019, 07:28
A friend of mine knew him in the late seventies ish..when he was living in London. They had a piano at their squat he used to play. Some years later the same friend gave me her piano..sadly not the same one!

Sad news..first ‘big’ gig I ever went to..

https://youtu.be/Nthlnd-LRsU
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2019, 11:14
Jun 07, 2019, 10:12
Aw feck, was thinking about the guy yesterday, thought he'd gone quiet. He has now. Such an artist, glad I saw him 'back then'. He kept popping up on odd programmes, remember him playing on Pebble Mill At One (!). Last week I was playing BB King's There Must Be A Better World Somewhere, which he produced and is all over...not in Gris Gris mode but what wonderful playing... j u s t right. Check out Born Again Human - a GREAT song - which is on YouTube if you don't check out the entire record (but you should).. Had it in my head last night, now this. RIP and thanks, Big Man.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jun 07, 2019, 13:19
Sad news.

I'm kicking myself for not going him performing in Wolverhampton about ten years ago. he was a self contained collection of musical genres that somehow became a style in itself. And man, I loved those hats!

R.I.P.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Jun 07, 2019, 22:26
My wife told me earlier today, I was playing Gris Gris in the car returning from a break at the time. That record has the greatest atmosphere. Hell you can almost smell the weed, taste the crawfish and dodge the New Orleans Axe Man in those songs. RIP my friend, hope you find more JuJu wherever you land.
There's a lovely story from David Simon the guy the wrote the TV series Homicide about the Doc, and trying to replicate his wonderful made up language as dialogue...https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1136814667299528704
Unsung Forum Index