Peter Hook to play Unknown Pleasures and Closer

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2019, 18:46
Peter Hook to play Unknown Pleasures and Closer
Apr 25, 2019, 18:44
I read this initially as 'Peter Hook and the Light Joy Division Celebration'... mmm... I wonder ;)

https://www.nme.com/news/music/peter-hook-and-the-light-joy-division-celebration-anniversary-shows-play-closer-and-unknown-pleasures-in-full-uk-dates-tickets-2479847
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Re: Peter Hook to play Unknown Pleasures and Closer
Apr 30, 2019, 03:27
Hmmm...these nostalgic celebrations have as an almost general rule a gigantic potential for embarrassment...
Paul Higgins
85 posts

Edited May 05, 2019, 13:53
May 05, 2019, 13:51
Ha ha I'm glad you posted this as every time I see a Peter Hook ad or news about his latest tour I cringe and my anger increases and I feel like ranting somewhere. Thanks for giving me the opportunity...

You know he is a great bass player/has his own sound etc.. and if you watch an interview with him online he seems a nice bloke but this is just so, so wrong on so many levels...

I really wish he would turn it in and hang up his bass and stop milking the Joy Division/New Order tit dry!!! I appreciate he is a musician and needs to work and provide for his family or whatever but does he really need to do this?? For fuck's sake every year its 'playing .....album in full' or live album of said show released. Before that it was endless books about the Hacienda and JD/NO - what the fuck! Has he no shame!

Mani fell out with him over something (and apologised later) but went online to accuse him of making blood money from his dead mate's legacy (or something like that) and to be honest it is true. Depression/Suicide is a sad, sad state of affairs which families never properly understand or get over but it's bad enough that dead rock stars sell more when they're dead let alone their old mates deciding to cash in too.

Surely poor old Ian Curtis would be turning in his grave. People fall out and especially in bands (and we don't know if Hooky was the bad guy or Barney and co) but now he is not a part of New Order can't he just move on???

Why not start a new band, write new material? Just play the odd Joy Division song in your set as an encore or a New Order track. People obviously go and see him live, buy his books, buy his live albums but I just don't get it. He probably does a good job live but I just don't see the point in it all!!!! Surely all this albums in full/reforming etc.. is just about nostalgia and even worse making money. How does this help music move forward etc..

Damo Suzuki just turns up at a show and plays unrehearsed live sets with local musicians - an almost Buddhist/living in the moment approach to music which has nothing at all to do with nostalgia or living off of former glories. The time I saw him it was incredible - it held my attention totally and I shook Damo's hand at the end and went home very happy.

I am going to see New Order live in July - the first time since I saw them in 1986. They might be old (I am too) but I have often thought over the years it would be nice to see them again live. I don't understand while they still exist why people would want to see the Hooky horror "playing the entire fucking discography of both well-known bands I was in" roadshow and actually encouraging the money-grabbing shameless twat and giving him your hard-earned cash!

I'm not a fan of tribute bands (if you can play - then why not write and play your own stuff??? Oh yeah... MONEY!!!!) but understand sometimes people want to see them as often it might be as close to seeing the original band you might ever get. I went to see MC50 and The Magic Band in the last few years as I'll never get a chance to see MC5 or Capt.Beefheart so wanted to see these bands even if there was only one original member involved. You could say I'm a hypocrite for this reason ......but New Order still exist - you can go and see them live - MC5 and Beefheart do not.

Yeah we all need money I know (it makes the world go round and all that) but leave Ian Curtis' legacy alone for God's sake and also your ex band too. Does he do it for cash or just to piss them off????

Does he even need the cash??? He's probably rolling in it by now even though it is well known New Order/Factory/Hacienda were financial disasters back in the day.

I can't help but think when his time is up and he's possibly looking back on his time he will regret (no pun intended) all this. Mind you, I could be wrong!!!

Perhaps he is just a shameless twat after all who has sold his soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

May 05, 2019, 23:24
I think you should say what you really feel.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

May 06, 2019, 11:46
It was fine as a one off, I reckon. But, yeah. He's made a new career out of it. A friend saw one of his recent shows and noticed that he hardly played anything himself.
keith a
9573 posts

May 06, 2019, 12:39
Vybik Jon wrote:
I think you should say what you really feel.

Hahahahaha!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 07, 2019, 17:07
It's because he ruined his back playing bass. It's a common problem.
keith a
9573 posts

May 07, 2019, 19:07
Extremely harsh...

To be fair, Hookie was always the sentimental one who seemed proudest of his Joy Division's legacy.

I don't begrudge him this at all. Especially as the others are going out as NO without him. If he was calling himself Joy Division I would have a very different attitude but he isn't.

I saw him join Mark Lanegan on-stage in Manchester a couple of years ago for an encore consisting of Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us Apart. It was fabulous hearing those basslines live (and Lanegan is ideally suited to singing those songs).
tk421
121 posts

May 07, 2019, 22:41
I saw him play with his band a few years ago
His son plays bass in his band, while he half plays bass and entertains. He gives off a great vibe.
I enjoyed it immensely.
If he can't play this stuff, who can?
Unsung Forum Index