Unsung Forum »
Roy Harper, for one last time

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Roy Harper, for one last time
Mar 22, 2019, 17:03
Anyone else been to any of his final shows? I'm off to Leeds tonight, seeing him for the first time in thirty years. I know it's kinda wrong, but, fuck it, one last time....
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Roy Harper, for one last time
Mar 22, 2019, 20:28
I read this would be his last tour a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.westcorkpeople.ie/music-box/interview-with-roy-harper-i-never-thought-of-myself-as-a-folk-singer/

He's had a bloody good run. I have a particular fondness for "Come out fighting Genghis Smith" both song (the first I'd heard by Harper) and the album, for such sublimities as "All you need is".
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Mar 22, 2019, 20:43
8-30 break...I'm there too man...McGoohan's Blues eh :) First saw him in '69 as a stoned teeny nipper in Hyde Park. Fifty years on just as good. So glad I got that ticket.....onward : D
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Mar 23, 2019, 12:23
Yes, he had a few fluffs, but I'm just so so so glad I went to that gig. Hallucinating Light threw me a curveball, moved me to tears. And that standing ovation after When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease..I hadn't seen him since the Green Man tour, thought I'd leave it there, and didn't know that this was his farewell when I bought my ticket last year, just felt the time was right to see him again. So many memories of his gigs since my early teens...my last will be of him skipping around the stage then off into the wings. I don't need to play his music much, it is within me, musical motherload, part of my life and me and will remain so. Thanks Roy...and yes, as he's said, that band is the best he's had, which is really saying something. I hope he finishes that album..
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Mar 26, 2019, 16:26
I was sure I'd replied to this the other day, but it appears not....

Would largely agree, spencer. Glad I went one last time, but I think it will be the last. Voice and playing were still great, but the between song rambles rather less so. They were just a bit incoherent. And the intro to the song about his (fairly) recent problems just left a bad taste in the mouth. The song itself actually sounded okay, oddly. The other new one (in the main set) just sounded like an old man whining about young people today. Great to hear Highway Blues and other assorted oldies again tho
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Mar 27, 2019, 09:45
My view largely yours ..had already decided this'd be the last time when bought ticket, hadn't seen your topic till browsing at half time. He hit the notes better than I'd hoped and playing was fine. He used to ramble more coherently..but hey, he's the age he is, and knows it's time. I shall treasure those revisits to my deep musical motherload and the sight of him, part of my musical life and me for fifty years skipping away into the darkness.
Unsung Forum Index