1056 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2019, 13:09
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 March 2019 CE
Mar 17, 2019, 08:58
Donovan - Sunshine Superman
Donovan - Mellow Yellow

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

Julian Cope - Saint Julian
Julian Cope - My Nation Underground (first time I've actually listened to these two albums in their entirety - that late 80s production sound is so hard on the ears I can't quite believe we tolerated it at the time, and there are some uncharacteristically cheesy moments, but the good songs are very good indeed, especially the title track of SJ).
Julian Cope - Skellington
Julian Cope - Droolian (what a breath of fresh air these are after that rigid sterile sound of the previous two albums)

The Move - Something Else
The Move - Shazam
The Move - Looking On
The Move - Message From The Country

Speed Glue & Shinki - Eve

The Flowers - Challenge
Flower Travellin' Band - Anywhere

Vangelis - Direct
Vangelis - Themes
Vangelis - The City
Vangelis - The Thread (his new work premiering at Sadlers Wells this weekend - went to the opening night and I'm pleased to report it contains some of his best music for years, instantly hearkening back to his classic 1972 Vertigo LP 'Earth', and with one sequence of heightened apocalyptic intensity to rival '666' or 'Heaven & Hell'. Hopefully it will come out as an album at some point, although Vangelis is notorious for leaving classic scores in the hands of the bootleggers if he doesn't feel the time is right for an official release. The accompanying dancing was often mesmerising, although at times it felt rather restricted compared to the excitement and propulsion of the music).

Jon & Vangelis - Page Of Life

David Bowie - Scary Monsters
David Bowie - Let's Dance
David Bowie - Tonight (first Bowie album I bought, so I have a soft spot for it, despite the lightweight reggae and excess of cover versions. It's a fun listen)
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down (2018 version - the original has that same late 80s production curse as Copey's albums of the period, and just feels interminable to listen to. This new reworking is much more enjoyable and at least helps you appreciate how much work Bowie was putting into his songwriting again, even if the results haven't always dated too well)

The Stranglers - Feline
The Stranglers - Aural Sculpture
The Stranglers - Dreamtime

Unsung Forum Index