15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 October 2018 CE
Oct 29, 2018, 17:56
Station To Station – David Bowie
Cat People (45) - David Bowie
I hadn't heard the single version of Cat People for a while. It was a shock to hear how like Joy Division's Atmosphere the opening was – and how deep Bowie's vocals were to start off with. It's almost like it's on the wrong speed for a second or two! Really good single though.

The Contino Sessions – Death In Vegas
Satan's Circus – Death In Vegas
DIV's two finest IMO. Indeed I think Contino is a total classic, from the opening Dirge to the closing beatfest that is Neptune City, taking in great tracks like Ayesha featuring Iggy's murderous persona. Favourite this week though was Flying. As for SC, well I always think of it as an enjoyable Kosmiche tribute, and the likes of the opening track, Ein Fur Die Damon and Sons Of Rother definitely fit into that category, but there is more to it than that. I find parts of Reigen and the closing Come On Over To Our Side, Softly Softly actually quite disturbing.

Electric Blanket 12” - UUUU
For the uninitiated, UUUU are two members of Wire (Graham Lewis & Matthew Simms), Thighpaulsandra and someone on drums I was previously unaware of – Valentina Magaletti. This is the second release as far as I know – there's definitely been an album which I need to give more airtime to – and it's bit of a cracker. Hard to describe really, the more pleasant side of experimental I guess!! The b-side is more sinister, Lewis (I think) talking over some sound effects, kinda like those that Dave Allen would have to accompany him telling a ghostly tale, put through the weird blender.

Also...
>>> - Beak>

American Utopia – David Byrne

Andorra – Caribou
She's The One (CDS) – Caribou

Mind Raft EP - Deradoorian

The Sun Moon & Herbs – Dr John

20 Hottest Hits – Hot Chocolate

With Animals – Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood

Best Of... - Dandy Livingstone

What A Mann - Manfred Mann

Sound Of Confusion - Spacemen 3