2387 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2018, 20:01
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 September 2018 CE
Sep 09, 2018, 02:35
Ultimate Spinach - Custom Comp.

Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

Queen - II

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath (US)

The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons (UK)

The Rolling Stones - Flowers

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

The Rolling Stones - Stray Cats

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Chicago - VI

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO - In Search of the Lost Divine Arc

The Beach Boys - Friends / 20/20

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band - Doc at the Radar Station

V.A. - Going Away Blues 1926-1935

Conrad Schnitzler - ROT

David Bowie - The Buddha of Suburbia

MC5 - High Time

Freddie King - Taking Care of Business (disc 2)

Niccolò Paganini - 24 Capricci, Salvatore Accardo

Stevie Wonder - At The Close Of A Century (disc 1)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 September 2018 CE
Sep 09, 2018, 17:04
Haven't been listening or buying much lately, goes in phases, but lure of my fave band's newie too much..

The Necks - Body ..starts off on familiar ground, then goes somewhere else in a rather noisy way to excellent effect. Need to give it a few more spins but one of their best records, I reckon.

Santana - Transmission Impossible

The Byrds - Ultimate Collection

Fairport Convention - Babbacombe Lee

Fairport Convention - Rosie

Neil Young - Unplugged
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Sep 09, 2018, 17:07
The Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern

Fresh Maggots - Fresh Maggots

The Coral - Butterfly House

C.O.B. - Moyshe McStiff and the Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart

Mr Fox - Mr Fox
Mr Fox - The Gipsy

Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Mike Oldfield - Crises

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billy Joe
Bobbie Gentry - The Delta Sweete

The Kinks - At The BBC

Queen - The Game
Queen - Hot Space

Beethoven - Piano Concertos Nos.3, 4 & 5

Os Mutantes - Jardim Eletrico
Os Mutantes - Mutantes e Seus Cometas no País do Baurets

Caribou - Andorra

Elvis Presley - For The Asking
Elvis Presley - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

The Stone Poneys - Stone Poneys
The Stone Poneys - Evergreen, Vol. 2
Linda Ronstadt - Stone Poneys & Friends, Vol.III
keith a
9573 posts

Sep 09, 2018, 21:34
Drunken Songs – Julian Cope
I played this a few times ahead of seeing Julian at the Shiine Festival in Birmingham yesterday. He was on great form, opening with Drink Me Under The Table and also playing As The Beer Washes Over Me, from this album. We also got three numbers from Wilder (Culture Bunker, a lovely Passionate Friend and a moving Great Dominions) and other faves such as Double Vegetation, Soul Desert, They Were On Hard Drug. He was then told he only had four minutes left so he knocked out a quick Robert Mitchum and Out Of My Mind On Dope & Speed to end a shortish but fab set.

Also...

Station To Station / Live Nassau Colisseum '76 - David Bowie

You Want It Darker – Leonard Cohen

The Head On The Door – The Cure

The Now Now – Gorillaz

The Invisible Way / Visible End – Low

Dandy In The Underworld – T.Rex

Send – Wire

+Justments – Bill Withers
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Sep 09, 2018, 21:37
Axis: Sova – Shampoo You. Surprisingly great garage rock, primitive drum machine ironically gives it a more modern feel than the usual Stooges etc worship, plus intriguing hints of Sonic Youth and Wipers (nowt online yet though).

Pauline Rae Gibson & Kit Downes – Emotion Machine. Very minimal and very Annette Peacock in places. Guessing Wire magazine will love it, but don’t let that put you off (also nothing to hear yet).

Gösta Berlings Saga – ET EX. More crazy, prog-loving Scandos, though again with nods to modernity. One of those albums I contemplated abandoning after the first couple of tracks, before conceding to myself that I was actually quite enjoying it (err…)

Camera – Emotional Detox. Krautrock, err, moderne. Fine, but didn’t quite grab me as much as their last one… https://soundcloud.com/bureau-1/sets/camera-emotional-detox-snippets

Jacco Gardner – Somnium. Dutch psych bloke releases instrumental concept album inspired by Johannes Kepler’s 17th century SF classic, apparently. Authentically library-ish and therefore quite Ghost Box-y in places (move on, nothing to hear)

Sharron Kraus – ‘Something Out Of Nothing’. Talking of which… last in Ghost Box’s Other Voices singles series. Folky.

Exploded View – Obey

Soft Machine – Hidden Details

Oh Sees – Smote Reverser

The Vinyl Countdown: J is for…

Jane’s Addiction – Ritual De Lo Habitual. Blimey, I hammered this when it came out (1990), which is no doubt why this particular piece of vinyl is so crackly. Nobody quite like them at the time, or since probably, a frenetic but clever relief giver amid a UK music scene polarised by the flippin’ Stone Roses and the even worse Guns & Roses. The first side is entirely kinetic, while the flip (which according to the song timings on the label is 31 minutes long!) has longer, stranger and rather wonderful tracks such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD8UeWHGl-A which was crazily enough the first single off the album…

Live:

Oh Sees / BEAK> – The Forum, Kentish Town. Fantastic gig, two bands you wouldn’t have immediately put together, but both animated by the confidence that comes from knowing you’re doing something that nobody else is. BEAK> were almost entirely motionless, but still driven by barely-articulated angst, while Oh Sees’ John Dwyer is a man possessed on stage, wringing torrents of sci-fi noise out of his guitar. Marvellous.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Sep 10, 2018, 20:57
Sep 10, 2018, 20:57
The Beach Boys - Today! (stereo) / Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (stereo) / Pet Sounds (50th Anniversary stereo LP) / Best Of ... Vol 3 (Capital 1968 UK mono LP) / Very Best Of Vol 1 & 2 (Early 80s Capitol LPs)

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (mono) / Beatles For Sale (mono)

The Bevis Frond - Bevis Through The Looking Glass / Triptych

Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla / Tadpoles

Coil - Live Two / Live Three / Live Four / Selvaginna, Go Back Into The Woods

John Coltrane - Coltrane (DE 2cd) / Both Directions At Once / Offering / Interstellar Space / Living Space

The Doors - Demos 1965 / Celebration Of The Lizard (soniclovenoize reconstruction) / Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine / An American Prayer

Dr John - Gris-Gris / Babylon

Nick Drake - Time Of No Reply

Mark Eitzel - Caught In A Trap & I Can't Back Out Cause I Love You Too Much Baby / Lover's Leep USA / The Invisible Man / Live On WMFU 2001

Stephane Grappelly - Feeling + Finesse = Jazz

Peter Hammill - Over / pH7 / A Black Box

Hawkwind - Roadhawks

The Moody Blues - In The Threshold Of A Dream

October Country - S/t

Os Mutantes - S/t / Everything Is Possible!

Andy Partridge - Apples & Oranges/ Humanoid Boogie (EP)

Pentangle - Pentangling (1973 Transatlantic comp LP)

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance / Dub Housing

Psychic TV - Mouth Of The Night / Temporary Temple / Towards The Infinite Beat / Beyond The Infinite Beat

Quintessence - Move Into The Light

The Smoke - S/t

Theatre Of Hate - He Who Dares Wins: Live At The Warehouse, Leeds

Velvert Turner Group - S/t

Velvet Underground - S/t (MGM comp LP) / Max's Kansas City

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book / Innervision

Robert Wyatt - Shleep / Cuckooland / Comicopera

V/A -

Max's Kansas City: New York New Wave

The Roxy London WC2
hallgeraet
hallgeraet
96 posts

Sep 10, 2018, 23:18
spencer wrote:

The Necks - Body ..starts off on familiar ground, then goes somewhere else in a rather noisy way to excellent effect. Need to give it a few more spins but one of their best records, I reckon.

Totally agree, for me their best album since Open. Very surprised by the "rock" middle section, sounds like Faust with Jaki Liebezeit on drums jamming in repetitive mode.
Unsung Forum Index