Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 January 2018

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 January 2018
Jan 28, 2018, 21:46
50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong – The Fall
I'm already wishing I'd been to see The Fall more than the handful of gigs I managed. To be honest, I've listened to very little other than The Fall since MES passed away the other day. I played this one because it's a great career retrospective (up to early 2000's) but mainly I have been listening to the umpteen tunes that fellow Fall fans have been posting on FB. It was interesting to hear what tracks meant a lot to them and it meant I ended up listening to stuff I mightn't have done ordinarily rather than just some of my all-time faves. I have a feeling that certain albums will be re-surfacing here over the next few weeks though. Good to see his importance being recognised by the mainstream media, too – Jeremy Vine playing Totally Wired on daytime Radio 2 was a great few minutes. MES even got a tribute on last nights Match Of The Day!

Green Leaves: Nick Drake Covered – V/A
Nick Drake was a great songwriter though you probably wouldn't guess that if you just heard some of these offerings on this months Mojo magazine. Great to see him on the front cover of the magazine though.

Also...
The Next Day – David Bowie
Dread A Dub – Johnny Clarke
S/T - Fujiya & Miyagi
Silver Eye – Goldfrapp
Skying – The Horrors
Bilingual – Pet Shop Boys
The Race For Space - Public Service Broadcasting
Demolition 9 – Martin Rev
Blue & Lonesome – Rolling Stones
Ten Silver Drops – Silver Machines
Why Be Blue – Suicide
Dear Science – TV On The Radio
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 28, 2018, 22:13
Cavern Of Anti-Matter – Hormone Lemonade. Latest from Tim Gane’s post-Stereolab electro-rock trio, and it’s another goodie. Not as hard-edged as some tracks from their last album, the brilliant Void Beats/Invocation Trex, but still a fine channelling of Kraftwerk, Add N To (X) and early techno. https://soundcloud.com/cavern-of-anti-matter/make-out-fade-out

Alasdair Roberts, Amble Skuse & David McGuiness – What News. Scottish nu-folk guy and collaborators cover a variety of traditional songs from the Highlands, most of which involve death and murder. I can usually take or leave this kind of stuff, but this is really good – Roberts’ voice is a fine instrument in its own right, but the arrangements for piano with some subtle digital soundscaping are often wonderful: https://alasdairrobertsambleskusedavidmcguinness.bandcamp.com/track/johnny-othe-brine

The Final Age – s/t. A surprisingly accessible and enjoyable avant rock album, like a cross between GYBE and the type of psychedelic industrial stuff on those late ‘90s Macro Dub Infection albums. https://cful.bandcamp.com/album/the-final-age

Anna Von Hausswolff – Dead Magic. Pretty sure this is already one of the albums of 2018.

The British Space Group – Eyes Turned Skyward. Nice ambient hauntronica stuff. https://ian-quietworld.bandcamp.com/album/eyes-turned-skyward

Nick Drake – Five Leaves Left. On the front of this month’s Mojo. As ever, both quintessentially English and otherworldly.

Listen With Father:

The Godfathers – Hit By Hit. Can’t think why I haven’t played the girls this before, just a brilliant collection of brutal but catchy garage pop, from yet another band who were actually pretty big for a few years, but seem to have been mostly forgotten now. But a song like this is still jump-around-the-room fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPhbNedQ_o Have subsequently discovered they actually reformed a few years ago, the single from their last album was actually rather good, and they’re playing the 100 Club this March…

Live:

Wand – The Dome, Tufnell Park. Though with my ears still ringing from this gig, maybe I need to be more careful before submitting them to further abuse. It wasn’t even that loud, but the sound was a bit painful. Pretty decent, but one of those gigs that if you don’t know a song already, it’s unlikely it’s going to grab you beyond being noise with direction.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 28, 2018, 22:17
keith a wrote:
Green Leaves: Nick Drake Covered – V/A
Nick Drake was a great songwriter though you probably wouldn't guess that if you just heard some of these offerings on this months Mojo magazine. Great to see him on the front cover of the magazine though.

Ha, I didn't even bother listening to this for that exact reason. What's the point really of trying to cover a Nick Drake song? It's so much about his playing and voice...
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 28, 2018, 22:47
Devendra Banhart - Oh My Oh My / The Black Babies

Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim / Futurama / Sunburst Finish / Modern Music

Coil - Backwards

Ornette Coleman - Change Of The Century / Free Jazz

Shirley Collins - Lodestar

Comets On Fire - Avatar

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth / Saint Julian / Woden

Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio / Huntington Ashram Monastery / World Galaxy

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name ...

Country Joe & The Fish - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette / The Black Album / Strawberries / So, Who's Paranoid? / Punk Generation: Best Of (Oddities & Rarities)

Miles Davies - Seven Steps To Heaven / Live At Montreux (with Quincy Jones)

Sandy Denny - I've Always Kept A Unicorn: The Acoustic Sandy Denny

Fairfield Parlour - From Home To Here

Fairport Convention - History Of ...

Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate / In Camera

Carole King - Tapestry (Legacy 2cd)

Misericordia - Medieval Instrumental Music

Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground / Balaklava / The Use Of Ashes / These Things Too

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother / The Final Cut / The Endless River

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus / No More Heroes / Live X-Cert

Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro

V/A - John Peel Right Time, Wrong Speed: 1977-1987
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index