Vince Guaraldi - Alma-Ville

Vince Guaraldi - The Eclectic

Mountain - Climbing!

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

Mississippi Fred McDowell - I Do Not Play No Rock ’n’ Roll

Cannon’s Jug Stompers - The Complete Works 1927-1930

Cal Tjader * Stan Getz Sextet - st

Cal Tjader - Latin Kick

The Residents - Duck Stab! / Buster & Glen (2x3”)

Chicago - VI

The Irish Rovers - Tall Ships & Salty Dogs

The Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin’

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come

John Coltrane - The Believer

John Coltrane - Black Pearls

Motörhead - Iron Fist

Charles Bobuck - Egg Booty

Françoise Hardy - Et Si Je M'en Vais Avant Toi
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2018
Jan 14, 2018, 03:10
Only thing is, no records but a Blue-ray Box set... The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series. Everything remastered, improved sound and the entire five-season run of this cutting-edge show, including the rarely-seen 1962-63 season with hour-long episodes. Found it at Best Buy and I just had to snap this up with my card. A 24-disc set, ooo-dee-la-dee-hoo! It's good since I'm holed-up in my apartment during weekend-long snow conditions...

So I haven't bought any new records or played anything from my own collection other than the above. But that may change as I just got a second job now which will bring much needed capital...
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 06:32
Good morning, this week just gone has been these:

Brian Eno - Music For Films
Brian Eno - Another Green World

Current 93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain (I picked up the CD from amazon marketplace a while back for not very much and only just got around to giving it my attention, some years back I had loads of C93 stuff but lost interest. I wish I didn't get rid of it all now!)

Soft Machine - 4 (One of their most overlooked I feel, plus their last with Wyatt)

Coil - Astral Disaster
Coil - Love's Secret Domain (This week I got a copy of David Keenan's fantastic 'England's Hidden Reverse' which I have been working through. These two albums are some of Coil's best)

Tony Conrad & Faust - Outside The Dream Syndicate (I've had this for many years but I only ever seem to put it on once or twice a year. I find it so warm and comforting and realy must try to find the time and space to play it more often)

Bong - Mana-Yood-Sushai
Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht
Motorhead - Bomber
Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters
Asomvel - Knuckle Duster
Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 08:32
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
Joanna Newsom - Ys

Bridget St. John - Thank You For...

V/A - A Perfumed Garden Vol.1

The Beach Boys - In Concert
The Beach Boys - Carl & The Passions: So Tough

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Elton John - Jump Up!
Elton John - Too Low For Zero

Heron Oblivion - The Chapel

Matt Berry - Night Terrors

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age

Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World
Aphrodite's Child - It's 5 O'Clock

The Sea Nymphs - The Sea Nymphs

Stone Angel - Stone Angel
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 09:10
Brian Eno 'Reflection'
Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Join Hands'
Ray Thomas 'From Mighty Oaks'
Kevin Ayers 'Whatevershebringswesing'
Boz Scaggs 'Down Two Then Left'
Boz Scaggs 'Fade Into Light'
Daryl Hall 'Sacred Songs'
French Frith Kaiser Thompson 'Live, Love, Larf and Loaf'
Wishbone Ash s/t
Wishbone Ash 'Pilgrimage'
Various 'Harvest Restival'
Dire Straits s/t
John Coltrane 'Lush Life'
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 10:11
The Beach Boys - The Very Best Of (Capital 2 vol early 80s comp)

David Bowie - 1. Outside / Earthling / Live & Well / Hours (DE 2cd)

Broadcast - Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age (with The Focus Group) / Berberian Sound Studio OST / The Future Crayon

John Coltrane - The 1961 Helsinki Concert / A Love Supreme / Kulu Se Mama

Eric Dolphy - The Illinois Concert / Out To Lunch

King Crimson - Lizard / Islands

Charles Mingus - Tonight At Noon / Mingus At Antibes

The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream / To Our Children's Children's Children / BBC Radio 1 In Concert 17/12/69 / A Question Of Balance

Moonkyte - Count Me Out

Morning Dew - S/t

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (Expanded) / Moondance (Expanded)

Mushroom - Early One Morning

The Mystic Astrological Crystal Band - Flowers Never

Iggy Pop - The Idiot / Lust For Life

Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Solomos

Lou Reed - Life In Music (Mojo comp)

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising / Evol / Sister

Stereolab - Dots & Loops

David Sylvian - Everything & Nothing / A Victim Of Stars

XTC - Mummer
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 10:34
This week it has been just one album, a compilation of 77 tracks each dedicated to a particular saint. Some cracking stuff on this release, kinda reminds me of the Outer Church/Lessons compilations from Front and Follow.
Sadly. it's pretty costly to buy now, but was cheaper over the period of Advent when I icked it up.

https://bravemysteries.bandcamp.com/album/communion-of-saints

Blurb goes something like this......

On September 2nd, 2015, we sent out some vague emails inviting musical friends to contribute to a compilation on the theme of the "Communion Of Saints". The premise was that each artist chose a canonized saint from history and create a piece of music inspired by this muse. We never told anyone who else was invited to contribute, we never said anything definite about format or release date, we never gave anyone any restrictions as to their approach or interpretation of their muse, we never let anyone hear any of the songs that were being contributed, we never told anyone anything about what we were going to do with their tracks once they contributed.

Over the next two years, nearly seven hours of priceless new music has come into our lives and melted our hearts. The response to our simple invite was overwhelming. The strength and originality of the material was truly impressive. The fact that all of these wonderful artists put forth so much effort and inspiration into this concept, without ever knowing much about what would become of their creation, was nothing less than stunning. We are extraordinarily grateful for every artist who sent in contributions.

Gratitude overflowing for Nathaniel Ritter, whose meticulous analog mastering has given the entire production an otherworldly glow and even-ordered harmony. Much gratitude also for Izzy Kovalevskaja, who tirelessly illustrated original art for every piece of music. Please do click on each individual song to see her art, all of which is included in the digital downloads and will be featured in the beautiful book which will accompany the die hard edition.

These songs and images have been flowing through our homes, inspiring our family and friends, some for over two years now. We are so happy to finally be able to share the complete collection with you all.

Since the beginning we have posted the price for digital purchase at $1 per song, and thus the price of the entire comp went up $1 each time a track was added. Anyone who purchased Communion Of Saints, at any point during its unveiling, has 100% access to all tracks (stream/download direct from Bandcamp, revisit your original purchase email links or check out your Bandcamp Collection). This means, if you purchased it back when there was only four songs up, you got the whole comp for $4.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 10:41
Beebon wrote:
Coil - Love's Secret Domain (This week I got a copy of David Keenan's fantastic 'England's Hidden Reverse' which I have been working through. These two albums are some of Coil's best)

That's a cracking book, I picked up the original copy with the CD (Nothing particualrly rare on the disc), and then the expanded edition last year. Great insight into some of my fav' (well three) underground artists.
I'm gonna pick up Keenan's 'This is Memorial Device' book at some point.
Heard good things about it.

The Cosey Fanni Tutti book is worth a punt too. Lot's of COUM/TG/Chris and Cosey related shenangans.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jan 14, 2018, 10:46
I picked that up last year, an amazon marketplace seller had it for silly money. Every bit as daffy and spooky as I recall from inebriated late night tele after the pub.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Jan 14, 2018, 11:13
Jan 14, 2018, 11:12
So they had the Twilight Zone shown in England? Wow... Funny did you notice the episode Judgement Night the ship in question in the story was heading from Liverpool and most of the people on the ship don't really have that British accent... only slightly and the main character was German and sounded somewhat as such but didn't have that hokey "evil Kraut" accent you would've heard on American movies at that same era?

So anyways yeah this is cutting-edge TV which like the older Dr. Who's you wouldn't expect to be made now...

By the way many of these shows were filmed in Ithaca New York where Rod Serling (bless him!) resided. I had been told once by a teacher I had long ago he was very small like me. Also when I first watched these shows they were on a local independently-owned (at the time but it sadly sold its soul to Rupert Murdoch...) WUHF-TV, of which I was very recently told that a relative of Serling worked for the station and still lives in Rochester as a matter of fact...
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index