IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2010, 10:12
Re: The Moody Blues
Feb 05, 2010, 10:08
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
Yes I think OGWT may have been when I first heard them or maybe supporting Man. It is all a bit hazy.

If I am not suffering from false memory / terminal nostalgia Band Called O were pretty good live and much tougher sounding on stage than on record.

All those mid level Bob Harris / Nicky Horne endorsed bands (Crawler, Moon etc etc) seemed to get lame AOR productions aimed at American radio and got caught somewhere between two stools. I blame Rod myself. Also explains why Be Bop Deluxe, Hammill, Lizzy and SAHB kept their cred after Punk - they at least sounded like rock bands.

No wonder Punk sounded so radical and a blessed relief when it came along though I did buy "White Riot" and "Jess Roden Live" on the same day.

Just played Within Reach, and can't find a track called Coasting on it, Ian. As I was listening to it, it was the closing title track that I thought you must have meant, as there was a possible chill feel to that IMO. Good track actually.

Although I enjoyed playing WR I'm not sure of how much of it I would have liked if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor (and some of the lyrics are rather cringeworthy!).

That said, it was good to hear ASID again. I wouldn't necessarily list 'soft funk'* as a personal favourite genre by any means, but they were firing on all cylinders with that one. I can definitely imagine them being harder hitting live, mind.

(I don't think I bought WR until 1977, so I probably bought it the same day as some punk 45!)

* Mind you, I like Atlanta Rhythm Section's So Into You as well!

On the German cd reissue it was track 11 of 12 so maybe it was a b side? The vinyl is long since gone though I have the poster somewhere. Coasting is a nice little instrumental thing.

Atlanta Rhythm Section were a good act. I really liked AWB and even some of those Brit Soft Funk bands like Kokomo, Moon and Cado Belle. At least I liked them live. The records were probably horrible. On the American side there was a Cate Bros tune that I remember loving (and hating the album) and bands like Mothers Finest and Tower of Power. Funk with guitar solos. That soul / rock crossover stuff could be really good.

Those were funny times. Healthy though because no one was really sure about what was "appoved" as being cool and what wasn't so anything went. Liking Santana AND The Damned seemed perfectly ok. It's a bit like that now I think.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index