214 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 15, 2009, 22:38
clash or cope?

clash fantastic live
cope can be good live

clash have made a couple of dodgy records
cope well he's made loads of dodgy stuff

so i'd say its a draw........... but then again who gives a toss?

music is music some you like some you hate...........

but others love to hate the stuff you love!
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday
Dec 15, 2009, 23:09
dodge one wrote:
Mostly from people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday..

like you, eh? but just how OLD are you? i think you mentioned being 49 somewhere else ... that's not even that old (apologies if i've got that wrong + you are indeed 74 + have seen it all) ... so, assuming yr 49, that makes you 8 when cream split, 9 or so when the blind faith rec came out ... hmmmm, were you REALLY saving up yr pocket money for that stuff then?

i wdn't mention it if you didn't KEEP ON keeping on in so many threads here about "blah blah i was there 1st time round, you weren't sonny boy, so listen up to yr elders" ... jeez, give it a drink!

on topic, i don't care much for the clash either, but so many people have told me they were an incredible force live early on that i'm willing to believe 'em .. i think even Cope mentions this in "head on"
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday
Dec 15, 2009, 23:26
singingringingtree wrote:
[quote="dodge one"]Mostly from people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday..

like you, eh? but just how OLD are you? i think you mentioned being 49 somewhere else ... that's not even that old (apologies if i've got that wrong + you are indeed 74 + have seen it all) ... so, assuming yr 49, that makes you 8 when cream split, 9 or so when the blind faith rec came out ... hmmmm, were you REALLY saving up yr pocket money for that stuff then?

i wdn't mention it if you didn't KEEP ON keeping on in so many threads here about "blah blah i was there 1st time round, you weren't sonny boy, so listen up to yr elders" ... jeez, give it a drink!

on topic, i don't care much for the clash either, but so many people have told me they were an incredible force live early on that i'm willing to believe 'em .. i think even Cope mentions this in "head on"

DODGE ONE said:

You always bore me with your shortsidedness.
It's not me putting down anyone here. Clash/Clapton or KrautRock.
In fact, i don't go out of my way to put anyone down.
I took a piss take with a yoko thread....not the same, and the closest i ever came to a thread like this.
I've been collecting LP's since 1974. MY own LP's.
I also grew up in NY, in a very well informed musical environment. I have been playing the guitar since 1974 as well....every day of my life. My 1962 Gibson J-45 is in my lap as i type this.
I think i'm entitled to my points of view also. I try to keep respectfull.
But in your case, please feel free to ignore me. I know that from henceforce, i will you. Your simply NOT interesting.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2009, 03:27
Dec 16, 2009, 03:25
Not so sure about that. If what you say were totally accurate Richie wouldn't have carved 4REAL into his arm with a razor blade in front of an NME journalist.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 10:15
Re: Manic Street Onanists.

Didn't the stunted fat sweaty shouty one say that he wouldn't even acknowledge anyone who was stupid enough to like THE TEADROP EXPLODES.
Hilarious !
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday
Dec 16, 2009, 10:41
Interesting. I figure that probably makes me older than you, Dodge. Just thought I'd mention it - might cheer you up to know you're not the oldest fart around here!

I started playing geetar and buying my own albums around '71-'72. I'm 50 btw.
keith a
9574 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 11:36
Dunno. But he's entitlted to his opinion like the rest of us!

I think the MSP's are unfairly maligned personally, probably because they had an ability to get up people's noses with their early bragging. I thought they were all mouth and no trousers till I heard Motorcycle Emptiness which is a glorious record.

Thought the albums were rather uneven, but they made some great singles in the 90's. I thought A Design for Life, being released when it was (first release post-RE) was a fabulous statement of intent.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 12:25
Fair enough. I don't like them myself, but it's a broad church and all the better for it.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 12:32
keith a wrote:
I think the MSP's are unfairly maligned personally,

We agree. I think they did their best to be er .... 4 Real in an era that was utter shite for British rock n roll. Holy Bible still sounds like a brave and moving record and they didn't have to raid a couple of dozen Penguin Modern Classics to write it. For me it stands next to Fugazi's "13 Songs". One man's feast etc.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 12:50
Just like to second this, they left me completely cold at the time (all I knew was some unimpressive singles and their annoying media posturings) then a friend played me Holy Bible and well.. its fucking great. I've not liked anything else they've done since then mind you.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index