Unsung Forum »
"Horrorcore".... what next?

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2009, 17:43
okay, okay. State the fucking problem properly Stray.
Oct 09, 2009, 17:34
I'm gonna paraphrase, and I'm not going to draw any neat fucking pictures or get all Janet & John style about analysis of complex systems.

A model (mathematical) defines a system as static. It may not be static, in fact it never is is it ? You are in a way trying to take the non-linearities out of the thing, make em linear, or close to it. Sooo... then you can produce proper usable matrices, inputs to outputs, to you know, get something out of it in an analysable sense. Seen ?

Models have regions of legitimacy. As in, within these regions the non-linear nasties have limited effect. Outside of the regions these annoying bastards become too much 'woah..woah.. wtf is it doing.. help me.. help me' for your model to be in anyway valid, or taken seriously by grown ups.

You can, of course use seperate models for different regions and you could build a nice consistent plane to link em together, ideally. BUT, you do need to be able to measure (er,, create sometimes) a region parameter.

now, what we're dealing with in this case is a model that is definitely non-deterministic, non-linear, recursive and adaptive like a bastard. In fact the regions themselves, in terms of their scope (in a legitimate sense) is actually part, if not all, of the outcome variables of the model. So.. its shifting, always, constantly, like some twisted fucked up manifold that goes into spasms everytime you cough near one of its inputs.

Edit : this extrapolation/identification of the problem is based entirely on my own nightmares modelling complex systems. I personally havent actually dealt with the problems of Quantum Mechanics I'm assuming the problems they have are the same. So yeah, I could be horribly incorrect.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: okay, okay. State the fucking problem properly Stray.
Oct 09, 2009, 17:51
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/f/fleetwood-mac/album-mystery-to-me.jpg
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2009, 18:48
Re: Re:
Oct 09, 2009, 18:41
I wasn't talking about you specifically. I have heard a fair amount of talk 'round here in the vein of 'if you're religious, you're fucked in the head'.

I don't like having it 'shoved down my throat' either. Funny thing is, it doesn't happen. Nobody's tried to evangelize me. The few who've invited me to think like them have been polite about it, and I've politely declined, and that was the end of it.

I didn't suggest that you have to like or 'respect' any particular element of religion, either.

Why shouldn't people be worthy of respect? I'm only talking about the basic rule of treating other people the way you want to be treated. That's really all I'm getting at. Not that we have to bend over backwards to accommodate other's beliefs, just that we don't go around thinking ill of them until they present some clear reason for it.

Not everyone who's Catholic follows the edicts of the Pope. They may still call themselves Catholic, but get abortions or have gay friends anyway.

Real people tend to be a lot more complex and interesting than we imagine them to be, you know.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2009, 20:07
Oct 09, 2009, 20:05
stray wrote:
I'm gonna paraphrase, and I'm not going to draw any neat fucking pictures or get all Janet & John style about analysis of complex systems.

A model (mathematical) defines a system as static. It may not be static, in fact it never is is it ? You are in a way trying to take the non-linearities out of the thing, make em linear, or close to it. Sooo... then you can produce proper usable matrices, inputs to outputs, to you know, get something out of it in an analysable sense. Seen ?

Models have regions of legitimacy. As in, within these regions the non-linear nasties have limited effect. Outside of the regions these annoying bastards become too much 'woah..woah.. wtf is it doing.. help me.. help me' for your model to be in anyway valid, or taken seriously by grown ups.

You can, of course use seperate models for different regions and you could build a nice consistent plane to link em together, ideally. BUT, you do need to be able to measure (er,, create sometimes) a region parameter.

now, what we're dealing with in this case is a model that is definitely non-deterministic, non-linear, recursive and adaptive like a bastard. In fact the regions themselves, in terms of their scope (in a legitimate sense) is actually part, if not all, of the outcome variables of the model. So.. its shifting, always, constantly, like some twisted fucked up manifold that goes into spasms everytime you cough near one of its inputs.

Edit : this extrapolation/identification of the problem is based entirely on my own nightmares modelling complex systems. I personally havent actually dealt with the problems of Quantum Mechanics I'm assuming the problems they have are the same. So yeah, I could be horribly incorrect.

Gotcha, I think. Would I be correct in summarising the above as:

1. In science, you build models as per the findings of experiments.
2. The models are helpful in predicting things, but only within certain bounds.
3. Once outside those bounds, things can vary wildly, the model doesn't work so well, if at all.
4. With complex systems, more than one model can be usefully employed, even if the various models are not compatible with each other.
5. The system we are discussing is at the far reaches of our modelling abilities, so the predicting aspect of the models is much reduced, rendering them relatively useless.
6. Thus "religion" or the "religious experience" or whatever we want to call it is, at present, outside the realms of science's capabilities to analyse in the accepted fashion.

Am I close?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2009, 20:37
Oct 09, 2009, 20:32
Close ? Outstandingly so yes mate.

A couple of things though, just for clarification. Your point 4 is correct, though its a classification issue. Yes it is valid to use more than one model, however what I was saying is a model (as in a singular one) can have many regions that are incompatible (in a sense) with each other IF you have a parameter (or parameters) that define the regions, and you can use these parameter(s) to identify/weight contributions and correlations (er.. integrate, kinda) that maintain a valid, calculatable, relationship between your inputs and outputs. What is know > to what happens/predicated, in short, the fundamental proof of the model. Ummm... but yes, you can argue that these regions are effectively different models, I have no problem with that, but I'm a terribly laissez-faire kinda guy.

Point 6. Well obviously. But thats not what I'm getting at. What I'm trying to get accross is that there are a lot of things that will forever remain theoretical. also,the methods available to us in analytical terms (modelling so as to analyse something) can as you correctly state be so woolly (when dealing with non-deterministic, non-linear, recursively-adaptive systems) as to be of questionable worth.

I'm just trying to get accross a glimpse at the problems, hopefully so that people 'get' that science doesn't always have the righteous unreproachable stance. All of theoretical science completely accepts this. What I see, increasingly, thanks to Dawkins, is lots of people with no clue bigging up science (and mathematics) ability to find the 'truth' above all other approaches. Other approaches being both theological, and more importantly philosophical.

Yes, this is where we may differ, and where I also differ from many who do actually understand the problems I'm stating (or trying to). That to me, the method of modelling and analysis in such a 'scientific' (ergo, mathematical) sense is not actually better, or arguably best practice in general. Those that argue it is feel they are allowed to shit on anyone who suggests an alternative so called non-scientifc approach. To me, that is horribly missing the point because ermm.. Maths itself is made of many regions, and there are no links between the regions, or even defined parameters for the regions scope, (fields of mathematics as it were) so they have no fucking right really to challenge any alternatives... Do you get it ? I'm really struggling to explain it, but there is something John Cage said about music which to me says it very eloquently..

"If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical
and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience."
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 09, 2009, 20:41
Sorry,one more thing, point 4 and woolliness. There are systems that actually affect the bounds of your model, completely change your regions. Basically, there are systems whereby you don't actually know the regions themselves because their entire scope is produced as an outcome of the system. Gawd, this is hard to explain. nm.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 09, 2009, 23:58
stray wrote:
Close ? Outstandingly so yes mate.

A couple of things though, just for clarification. Your point 4 is correct, though its a classification issue. Yes it is valid to use more than one model, however what I was saying is a model (as in a singular one) can have many regions that are incompatible (in a sense) with each other IF you have a parameter (or parameters) that define the regions, and you can use these parameter(s) to identify/weight contributions and correlations (er.. integrate, kinda) that maintain a valid, calculatable, relationship between your inputs and outputs. What is know > to what happens/predicated, in short, the fundamental proof of the model. Ummm... but yes, you can argue that these regions are effectively different models, I have no problem with that, but I'm a terribly laissez-faire kinda guy.

Point 6. Well obviously. But thats not what I'm getting at. What I'm trying to get accross is that there are a lot of things that will forever remain theoretical. also,the methods available to us in analytical terms (modelling so as to analyse something) can as you correctly state be so woolly (when dealing with non-deterministic, non-linear, recursively-adaptive systems) as to be of questionable worth.

I'm just trying to get accross a glimpse at the problems, hopefully so that people 'get' that science doesn't always have the righteous unreproachable stance. All of theoretical science completely accepts this. What I see, increasingly, thanks to Dawkins, is lots of people with no clue bigging up science (and mathematics) ability to find the 'truth' above all other approaches. Other approaches being both theological, and more importantly philosophical.

Yes, this is where we may differ, and where I also differ from many who do actually understand the problems I'm stating (or trying to). That to me, the method of modelling and analysis in such a 'scientific' (ergo, mathematical) sense is not actually better, or arguably best practice in general. Those that argue it is feel they are allowed to shit on anyone who suggests an alternative so called non-scientifc approach. To me, that is horribly missing the point because ermm.. Maths itself is made of many regions, and there are no links between the regions, or even defined parameters for the regions scope, (fields of mathematics as it were) so they have no fucking right really to challenge any alternatives... Do you get it ? I'm really struggling to explain it, but there is something John Cage said about music which to me says it very eloquently..

"If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical
and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience."

Sorry if the bullet points were an over-simplification, I kind of realised that, but I didn't want to rant on too long if I hadn't got the gist.

I think I'm right in saying that what you are referring to towards the end of this last post is people who forget that science is a tool for exploration of knowledge, and mistake it for the knowledge itself i.e. mistaking the map for the territory. As such, science isn't so much "wrong" as misused.

Do you think science can extend itself beyond the current limits and be a useful tool in these respects?

I like the John Cage quote btw.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 10, 2009, 10:50
Squid Tempest wrote:

Do you think science can extend itself beyond the current limits and be a useful tool in these respects?

Nope. I don't see why it should try to either, there are better tools for the job.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re:
Oct 10, 2009, 22:13
handofdave wrote:

I use the word 'breed' in the vernacular. Slang. Nothing more.

Hell, I'd call him a fucked up little shite who gets what he deserves and find myself falling short of what I think of him.

I just was wondering if you were using it in the 'plural', as in everyone who listens to/makes this infantile shite will inevitably go on a moider spree.

Anyway this thread has gotten very long. Will read over some of it now. Take it a decent argument has went down. Now to get another choc digestive and have a peek:-)
x
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index