Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16 August 2009 CE

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16 August 2009 CE
Aug 16, 2009, 18:31
Free 'Songs Of Yesterday' - outtakes, remixes, alternative versions a go-go. Drool;

Wishbone Ash 'Distillation' - fine, one stop shop of everything you'd need from the terminally unhip (but great) gods of twin guitar-based classic raawwwcckk;

Richard Sinclair 'R.S.V.P.' - lost classic from the archbishop of the Canterbury Scene, with all of the great man's melodic subtlety and warmth in abundance;

Camel ' I Can See Your House From Here' - not one of their better efforts, but there are still a couple of goodies here and Jan Schelhaas is on good form;

King Crimson 'Islands' - it's took me an awfully long time to get into this, but get into this I finally have, though I still find 'Ladies Of The Road' woeful. Never mind, all of side one is fabulous and the long title track is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard by anyone. Incredible that a vocalist as gifted as Boz Burrell went on to make his name as a four-in-the-bar, root-noted bassist. Such are the ways of falling into bad company, I suppose;

Genesis 'Trespass' - this pastoral rock classic - and 'Selling England' - are the only Genesis albums worth bothering with as far as I'm concerned. VdGG were, and ARE, so much more intense and individual. But I wouldn't be without this, especially 'White Mountain' and 'Stagnation';

Loop 'Wolf/Flow' - searing Peel session performances from the doyens of repetitious drones;

Incredible String Band 'Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending' - late gem from the unsung Island years;

Rory Gallagher 'Calling Hard' - full on double live bootleg capturing the man's raw passion and energy to the max. I dig this more than any of Rory's official live releases, fine though they are;

Gilgamesh 'Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into' - good second album from one of the Canterbury Scene's lesser known acts, featuring some typically lyrical bass playing from the great Hugh Hopper. Hope Esoteric get around to remastering the first album too, which on my old Caroline CD sounds really flat in comparison to this.

Bernstein 'Mass' - the recent Kristjan Jarvi recording of this has brought out the merits of what remains a ludicrously over the top and indulgent mishmash of genres. The "rock" elements here remain almost comically twee, but there's so many catchy tunes and moments of downright nerve in evidence here I can't resist this. I intend to get the new Naxos recording of this as well, as this more than any other "classical' (lol) piece will surely sound totally different every time it's performed, such is the variety of delights and abominations therein. Lenny was the man!

And that's me for another week. Good health and good listening, friends.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index