Unsung Forum »
Fischer Z - Word Salad

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Fischer Z - Word Salad
May 14, 2008, 11:33
Recently discovered this album and am presently enjoying it greatly.

When it came out I bought 'Reveal' for Perfect Day ... and nothing else on it really stuck with me. Are any of their albums worth a listen?
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Re: Fischer Z - Word Salad
May 14, 2008, 17:25
When I was a kid my father gave for Xmas the Lp Red Skies Over Paradise and I liked it a lot. Now I don't know if it would interest me. I don't have it anymore.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

May 14, 2008, 20:12
Wow - Fischer Z ... when I lived in Holland as a kid, in the late 70's/early 80's, they scored a series of hits and were regulars on Top-pop (presented by the great Aad Visser, the king of Dutch pop tv).
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

May 15, 2008, 08:53
There's pretty much every track of Red Skies posted on youtube ... sounds okay-ish but it's not as inspiring as (especially side two of) Word Salad.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

May 15, 2008, 10:03
There's a 2-CD best of called 'Highlights 1979-2004' on EMI that has everything you could possibly want, really- certainly a few gems after the 'Word Salad' tracks (which like you is the only original album I own), plus some very dodgy photos. It's that high, clear vocal contrasted with the driving bass and keyboard groove that does it for me.I don't know how available it is- I was actually given my copy by Fischer Z main man John Watts, who I met at a gig here in Brighton. Lovely bloke, still writing, recording and gigging- in fact working so hard that he claimed to only bother with about 4 hours sleep a night! Off the booze and chats away like nobody's business. He's still quite popular in Germany, where he tours regularly.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

May 15, 2008, 11:56
Cool, Thank You! I'll keep an eye out for it ... I usually seem to manage to track most things down eventually.

I agree with you about ' ... that high, clear vocal contrasted with the driving bass and keyboard groove ...'. There's also something about a certain strand of recordings from the post-punk/new wave .. probably a combination of factors ... to some extent those late 70's/early 80's analogue keyboards ... the way that the drums were recorded ... also the general over-all production values ... not exactly flat or deadened, but a little bit basic and recorded-in-a-cardboard-box-sounding if you get what I mean? Probably the joys of an analogue studio. Probably haven't explained that terribly well ... like the production quality of the first Cure album for e.g.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

May 15, 2008, 11:58
Wow! I used to have both Word Salad and red skies, along with a picture disc of The Worker. I loved em. Might even still have them in th'attic.

Bought
a 69 Capri
Failed the MOT
What a waste of time.
Unsung Forum Index