Register
Unsung Forum »
J.A. Caesar 5cd box

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MC
638 posts

J.A. Caesar 5cd box
Mar 23, 2008, 23:49
There's a limited JA Caesar Japanese 5cd box just out which has the full Kokkyou Junreika Recital and other rare early unreleased stuff. It seems to have sold out in a number of places (HMV Japan, CD Japan, etc) within a day. I bagged mine already - here's a link to a seller on ebay who's got a couple. I've bought from him a number of times, he's sound.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350040024751&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: J.A. Caesar 5cd box
Mar 24, 2008, 13:57
Wow, that looks absolutely great!! Too bad I'm so broke these days that the liklihood of scrapping together the neccessary funds before it sells out is highly unlikely...
MC, once you get the chance to listen to and digest it, I hope you can write up some comments here. I'd be interested to know where the unreleased stuff is coming from, if it's soundtrack work or theater work, and what time it was recorded. I'm really envious of you for getting to hear it!
MC
638 posts

Mar 24, 2008, 16:04
Will do. And I'm sure it'll be Soulseeked shortly.

Here's some info from Alan Cummings:

"Seasoned Seazer watchers might want to scope out a forthcoming 5CD boxset of rare material:
http://diskunion.net/jp/ct/news/1

Due for release on March 23, the main focus will be the full version of the Seazer Recital previously released as "Kokkyo Junreika". Previous versions of this have clocked in at 50 minutes, but this boxset will contain the full show, around 140 minutes across two disks.

We're also promised a disk of material from 1971 (Seishonen no tame no mujinto nyumon); another from 1972 (Hashire Merosu + Kyofu no ongaku); and one more from 1978 (Kodomo-gari).

And to ensure maximum frustration, the Disk Union chain are also promising an extra two track CD to purchasers at their shops."
Steve Broadhurst
2 posts

Apr 10, 2008, 11:44
I am now listening to the boxset - awesome!
Does anybody have any more info on track names - I've had to put 1, 2, 3 etc on my iPod transfer!!
sarmoung
1 posts

May 07, 2008, 19:24
Steve,

I've no idea if Japanese script works on this site or not, but I've just been finished transliterating/lating (-ish! my Japanese is rather rusty) the first two discs for a friend. Don't take this as gospel mind

DISC ONE

1. 転生譚 - Tenshotan - Like many of thes titles, there are various religious/Buddhist references which are rather beyond my ken. "Metempsychosis" might do. That said, I've got two readings: "tensho" and also "tensei". Hmm, and is it "tan" or does it change to "dan"...
2. 国境哀歌 - Kokkyo Aika - National Lament
3. エンプティ・バード変奏曲 - Empty Bird Hensokyoku - Empty Bird (Variation)
4. 首吊りの木 - Kubitsuri no Ki - The Hanging Tree
5. オルフェ・ヒロシマ - Orufei Hiroshima - Orphée Hiroshima - A welcome break into English for non-Japanese speakers.
6. 帝政ロシア顛落のロック - Teisei Roshia Tenraku no Rokku - "The Fall of Imperial Russia" ROCK!
7. 民間医療術 - Minkan Iryou Jutsu - Folk Medicine
8. 人形昇天 - Ningyou Shouten - Ascension of the Puppet - That's Caesar on the ribbon controller of his Electone. A YC model it says here in the booklet. A YC-45 maybe.
9. 大鳥の来る日 - Ootori no Kuruhi - The Coming of the Phoenix. Ootori (lit. Big Bird) is sometimes written with this character 鳳 and is the phoenix (fenghuang) of Chinese mythology.

DISC TWO

1. 狂女節 - Kyoujo Bushi - Song of the Madwoman
2. 東京巡礼歌 - Tokyo Junreika - Tokyo Pilgrimage Song
3. 長髪楚囚~あわれ自由や~ Nagakami ?? Aware Jiyu ya - Hmm. The third and fourth characters, for the best of me, I can only manage to translate as "a prisoner of the Chu dynasty"! Idiom? I've no idea how to read them though as I can only find the word in a Chinese dictionary and I've no idea what it means. It sounds like "soshu" when they sing it. "Long Haired Prisoner of the Chu - A Pitiful Freedom". Err... Anyway, Caesar was known for his very long hair. Perhaps the longest male hair in all of Shinjuku....
4. 英明詩篇 1 - Hideaki Shihen 1 - Hideaki Psalm Number One. This neatly encapsulates one of those frequent headaches for learners of Japanese script. After thinking that the first two characters are "eimei" (the so-called Chinese reading) which means intelligent or clear sighted, I read in the notes that in fact it's named after the performer Sasaki Hideaki whose given name uses exactly the same characters which I never would have worked out otherwise. It's originally from Throw Away Your Books...
5. 越後つついし親不知 - Echigo Tsutsuishi Oyashirazu - What it says on the tin! Echigo is the old name for Niigata and both Tsutsuishi and Oyashirazu (means wisdom tooth) are places there. It is the name of a story by Minakami (sometimes Mizukami) Tsutomu which was also filmed by Imai Tadashi. I guess I might try and watch it one day if I find a copy. Lyrics by Caesar.
6. 母捨般若経 - Bosha Hannyakyou - I spent a fair while reading about Hannya referring to Prajnaparamita. Well, yes. But it's just as much a reference to the Noh mask. The first two characters, hmm, "Abandoning Mother (who abandons who?) Hannya (or vengeaful jealous female demon, I suppose) Sutra". The lyrics at the end of this piece are "Please die, Mother!". Terayama's mother issues really deserve their own post...
7. 母恋しや珊瑚礁 - Bokoishi ya Sangoshou - Mother Love and the Coral Reef. Lyrics by Caesar.
8. 和讃 - Wasan - Wasan is a style of shomyo or Japanese Buddhist chanting. Wasan means it's in Japanese (where bonsan is chanting in Sanskrit, kansan in Chinese).
9. 人力飛行機の為の演説草案 - Jinryoku hikoki no tame no Enzetsu Soan - Err, "A Draught Address In The Cause Of Human Powered Aircraft" which sounds rather pataphysical in its way.
10. 山に上りて告げよ - Yama ni Noborite Tsugeyo - Go Tell It On The Mountain. I think this song title is a direct quote of the Japanese title of James Baldwin's novel.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

May 07, 2008, 19:52
If anyone is interested there is a Sid Ceaser box set available, there might be some Mel Brooks and Jackie Gleason thrown in for good measure
hirakemike
1 posts

Jun 15, 2008, 23:02
Steve-Could you contact me offlist? [email protected]

Thanks!!

Mike
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jun 16, 2008, 06:40