Unsung Forum »
Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
deeana56
9 posts

Re: Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970
Mar 14, 2008, 00:16
There was a first Panama album! The core of the group was Denis Parker, Gary Compton and Brian Stachan, and then the first album featured Pete Hossell and Liz Hann as vocalists. It was a pure jug band album. It came out before there ever was a Mungo Jerry.
The second album did not have Pete and Liz but had myself and Dave Griffiths. Denis had written most of the songs and he had been severely affected by "Trout Mask Replica." Dave played string bass, electric bass, electric violin, mandolin, and wrote songs, and he was also in another band at the same time called Urban Clearway. He left Panama Ltd, and it was a crushing blow, as if we had lost four people!
Mungo Jerry had the smash hit "In the Summer Time" in the UK right when we released Indian Summer. What an irony. Here we were trying to move forward musically, and then the record company wanted to move us backwards to pure Jug band music. The song from our album that should have been released as a single, "Indian Summer" was considered by the record company producers and such as nothing like "In the Summer Time" being slow and mournful. How ironic that roughly 35 years later Norah Jones would have a huge hit with a slow bluesy ballad from the same record company. It is all about the timing, I guess!

I was looking for more on Denis and he is part of a large group of St. John Blues musicians who play at a club called the Fat Cat. There are web pages under the name Rowdy Blues and Fat Cat that feature him and what he is doing now.
Anne
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index