Unsung Forum »
4AD

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
coldrumhead
608 posts

4AD
Jan 25, 2008, 21:17
Many years ago I used to avidly collect the stuff released on this label including but not limited to all early Cocteau Twins eps and lps etc.i also saw a few of the roster acts.This was before vinyl was retro and I looked forward to the eps and lps with(for the time) striking covers.Anyway your favourite 4AD stuff?

BTW:I have 4AD to thank for my introduction to artists such as Tim Buckley,Alex Chilton and Roy Harper.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: 4AD
Jan 25, 2008, 22:15
Cupol "like this for ages", easy, esp side 2 ... i used to have a huge soft spot for "terror couple kill colonel" by bauhaus too, but haven't heard it in 20 yrs or so, so cd sound crap to me now
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 23:18
Has to be "It'll End In Tears," by This Mortal Coil. Beautiful album.

Saw a bunch of albums by Bulgarian Voices in a charity shop in Dorking last weekend on 4AD but never heard of them before so left them there....

Dave B
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 26, 2008, 00:46
Yeah, especially the early stuff like Rema Rema, Mass and In Camera.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Jan 26, 2008, 10:19
I fell out of love with the label at the time when it changed hands (probably why the recent reissues only reproduce the outer covers of the CD booklets these days) and their mail-order service became obnoxious and difficult to deal with ... but yeah, Cocteaus, the whole Pixies - Throwing Muses family tree and spin-offs/solos ... Dead Can Dance, His Name Is Alive, Mortal Coil, Ultra Vivid Scene ... and in more recent years I have 4AD to thank for introducing me to The Mountain Goats and providing John Darnielle with the opportunity to record in proper studios ... although that might be a bit of a two-edged sword.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jan 26, 2008, 14:20
Not forgetting of course the mighty Wolfgang Press......
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 26, 2008, 20:15
Scott Walker's on the label now . . .
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Jan 27, 2008, 00:10
Notwithsatnding the bands already mentioned - particularly the "house band" This Mortal Coil, I would highly rate:
Clan of Xymox - first album (acousti-electro gothic wonder), Colourbox (an inspiration for the the emerging bedroom recording artists with their C64's, Atari ST's etc, cutting their sampling teeth etc and Xmal Deutschland (catchy, dark guitar-driven).
Also, mustn't forget the 4AD artwork and the great 12" remix singles....
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 27, 2008, 00:13
Like MUTE they had beautiful vinyl and sounds, but like MUTE they seem too connected to a certain time.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Jan 27, 2008, 02:36
You may be right, but remember a lot of us are "stuck in a certain time" too...and we like it...so ceratin recording artists & labels cater for us.
I think 4AD might be stuck in a groove (overall)...but I wouldn't say the same about Mute...I think they are still pushing forward..
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index