Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you truly remember from childhood?

109 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 19, 2007, 19:37
My dad's trad jazz albums on cold wet Sunday afternoons with a roaring fire and the light fading outside.

Getting up to the Radio 2 Breakfast show in the 1970s, when Wogan seems to have been wallowing in post-hippy musical detritus with every song seemingly suffused with such autumnal melancholy it's a wonder we ever managed to get out of bed at all. Or maybe it's my selective memory, according to temprement. But while other people remember their childhood as being all long hot summer days, I remember grey rainy mornings sounchecked by minor key acoustic guitars, mournful four-part harmonies and lyrics about riding across the desert on a horse with no name and how we had to get back to the garden. Elegaic hymns to some misplaced innocence harking back to some golden age that was no irrevocably lost, full of disappointment and doubt. Truly, I was living after the flood.

The result is that now, when I hear Horse With No Name by America, or Heart of Gold by Neil Young, or Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin, or any version of Woodstock, or Hotel California etc etc, I'm responding not only to their evocation of post-Watergate/Vietnam/Altamont/Manson/Cocaine dissillusionment, but feeling a Proustian rush of bittersweet loss and longing for my own lost golden age of childhood...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index