DUIR - The Stout Guardian Of The Door

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2007, 17:53
DUIR - The Stout Guardian Of The Door
Nov 01, 2007, 15:20
This has nothing to do with me (though I could obviously play the role of the title), but is an album from the TC Lethbridge folk.

It's been mentioned and celebrated in another Unsung thread, but I thought it should have a heads up. I've just got it and been playing it at work today.

A number of tracks are as you would expect if you know the TC Lethbridge - A Giant album: spoken word pieces over instrumental backing. Other tracks are fully formed instrumental pieces that include lovely rumbly bass, delicate guitar and meandering keyboards.

It's growing on me with every play and well worth £7.00.

More details here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/evelyn.welbourn/
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: DUIR - The Stout Guardian Of The Door
Nov 01, 2007, 18:54
I just posted off a cheque for this today, looking forward to getting it even more now
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Nov 02, 2007, 09:28
Ha ha, yeah, i ordered a copy yesterday too. Loved the trax i heard on myspace, and particularly liked the second disc of A Giant. Find it a restful record, and though i'm not really fired up by ley lines etc, it was nice to hear Colin Wilson's sedate tones vibing up ole' TC. In fact i'm gonna go play it right now.

Anyone heard the 'Mayday' release? I'll get that if it's like Giant Phase II.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Nov 06, 2007, 01:49
Monganaut wrote:
Anyone heard the 'Mayday' release? I'll get that if it's like Giant Phase II.

Mayday Mayday is a great buy, even better to listen to. Definately like A Giant, but instead of TC, its Stan Gooch under discussion. I'll have to track down some of his books, but this is a great primer for anyone. I really liked the bit where Stan is talking about the next leap in evolution "Why does there exist such potential when we've got enough to survive as it is?"
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Nov 06, 2007, 11:18
Sounds goooood, may have to flex some plastic.
Been playing the DUIR thang non stop since i got it last Friday. I luuurve it.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 07, 2007, 20:14
Is that TC Lethbridge cd anything like this, i've often admired it from a distance but was worried that i'd be spending 20 quid on some bloke rambling on about stones, any idea of the % of music to old bloke talking.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Nov 07, 2007, 20:18
Not sure what this is like, I'll have to wait until next payday first. A giant is well worth a listen, I was quite dubious at forst, but took the plunge and was very happily surprised. It's about 50/50 as it's 2 disc, with disc 1 being the music and disc 2 being spoken
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Nov 08, 2007, 10:28
Will need to get this anyone know if any plans to rerelease moon equipped or mina?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2007, 16:23
Nov 10, 2007, 11:55
Thanks for the reminder. I have no idea how I contrived to miss this back in July as I liked a lot of the TCL "A Giant" two disc thing.

This new one is just great from first to last. Gently floating and at times ever so slightly menacing inner-space rock with bits that remind me of early Ulver and the more er ... bucolic parts of Hawkwind's "Hall Of The Mountain Grill".
wychburyman
951 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 17:25
This sounds good! - Thanks for the lead
Unsung Forum Index