Shrimp
1118 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2007, 11:53
Glastonbury Fayre
Apr 21, 2007, 11:08
akarma finally get there!
Artist: Various Artists

Title: Glastonbury Fayre Festival

The Glastonbury festival is a ritual that has repeated itself every year since 1971, always featuring the bands that are most in vogue at the moment. In 1972, those bands included the Pink Fairies, the Edgar Broughton Band, Mighty Baby, Gong, Brinsley Schwarz, and Skin Alley.

As well as those bands that were unable to appear at the festival, but nonetheless donated tracks to support the event (i.e. Grateful Dead, Marc Bolan, Pete Townshend, and David Bowie). The DVD included here is another preciously rare document from those days and offers performances by Terry Reid with David Lindley on steel guitar, Fairport Convention, Family, Arthur Brown, Quintessence, and Traffic, and rare footage taken among the crowd.

Format: 2 x CD + DVD Album

Tracklisting:

CD 1:

1. THE GRATEFUL DEAD: Dark Star....bury
2. BRINSLEY SCHWARZ: Love Song
3. MIGHTY BABY: A Blanket In My Muesli
4. MARC BOLAN: Sunken Rags
5. PETE TOWNSHEND: Classified
6. DAVID BOWIE: Supermen
7. HAWKWIND: Silver Machine And Welcome 8. SKIN ALLEY: Sun Music

CD 2:

1. DAEVID ALLEN AND GONG: Glad Stoned Buried Fielding Flash And Fresh Fest Footprint In My Memory 2. THE PINK FAIRIES: Do It
3. THE PINK FAIRIES: Uncle Harry's Last Freak-Out
4. THE EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND: Out Demons Out
DVD:

"Glastonbury Fayre: The Movie" (Directed by: Peter Neal, 1972, 87 min.). Includes performances by: TERRY REID (feat. DAVID LINDLEY), FAIRPORT CONVENTION, FAMILY, MELANIE, ARTHUR BROWN, QUINTESSENCE, TRAFFIC

Record Label: Akarma

Catalogue No: AK367TCD

Release date: PRE-ORDER FOR 07.05.07 RELEASE DATE

Year of Release: 2007
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Glastonbury Fayre
Apr 21, 2007, 12:32
Is that the complete lp on cd?
Thought there were more tracks.
Stevo
Np Van Morrison Fillmore 70 Come Running to me
Valve2
Valve2
84 posts

Apr 21, 2007, 18:06
No thats the whole triple albums worth. All they got wrong is the year, that is it was released in 72 but the live stuff at least is from the 71 festival. Modesty prevents me from linking to... oh go on then:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1610
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Apr 21, 2007, 20:11
The film was shown on , I think BBC 4 , last year and is well worth seeing.

Peace , Lubin
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Apr 23, 2007, 02:07
[quote]No thats the whole triple albums worth. All they got wrong is the year, that is it was released in 72 but the live stuff at least is from the 71 festival. Modesty prevents me from linking to... oh go on then:[quote]

valve 1 or valve 2..one and the same?

Good to see Glastonbury Fayre 1971 on these pages again, but I am feeling a poisoned chalice coming on as I really dislike bootlegging activities like this, as the Arkama thing is a bootleg. But then again how does anyone get the music when the original package can be very expensive, but not neccesarily, as eBay can yield them often at a good price quite regularly, albeit with much of the Barney Bubbles oddments missing.

There are a number of updates about the Original package that many are unaware of: The poster/LP sleeve of the 1971 pyramid is a photo by Paul Misso, he is currently selling the photo as a poster off his website as a fundraiser , he is associated with a form of healing, so this is a good cause, and the poster is fabulous (I bet Arkama didn't approach him for his consent)

I have a 1974 chapter about Revelations Enterprises in a very obscure book called 'Making it' which gives a lot of info about organising the package, including a great photo of the staff at Revelations assembling the Glastonbury Triple, in what eventually turned out to be the Kaleidaphon Recording Studios (and home) of David Vorhaus.

There was I believe a 3 hour or 3 day broadcast from Andorra in 1971 or 1972 which played the 1971 festival . Some of these broadcasts do survive, as these were the noble efforts of Radio Geronimo, and through the great efforts of Chris Bent there can be heard a 6 minute fragment on his Radio Geronimo website, including a bit of the David Bowie concert. He is playing Bombers, which was unreleased, but a number he had in his shows of the time (BBC had taped this). I highly recommend the 6 minutes as it does transport one back.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Apr 23, 2007, 11:22
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

One and the same mate, I'm just a bit different in the evening from what I am during the day.

I'm kind of OK about bootlegs of this stuff appearing cos it's never gonna get an official re-release.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Apr 23, 2007, 14:58
Valve wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

One and the same mate, I'm just a bit different in the evening from what I am during the day.

WHICH VALVE brings out the beast in one?????

I'm kind of OK about bootlegs of this stuff appearing cos it's never gonna get an official re-release

YOu say this, but they could have tried asking in the first place, which I bet they didn't. I'm sure that Bowie, and the Bolan estates would not have agreed..they should at least pay the poorer musical ensembles, and approached Paul Misso.

In any case I hope that there will be a few surprises yet to reveal the 1971 in more detail, in the near future.

Deepinder
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Apr 23, 2007, 15:38
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
YOu say this, but they could have tried asking in the first place, which I bet they didn't. I'm sure that Bowie, and the Bolan estates would not have agreed..they should at least pay the poorer musical ensembles, and approached Paul Misso.

In any case I hope that there will be a few surprises yet to reveal the 1971 in more detail, in the near future.

Deepinder

Now you're talking. I've always thought that its unlikely the Bolan, Bowie, Townshend, Grateful Dead stuff would be allowed legitimate release given that it probably wasnt that legit in the first place - Everything was a bit looser back in 72 and not that many people were looking anyway. But now theres gotta be a market for the less well known stuff some of which has appeared on legitimate(?) releases: Mighty Baby, Fairies, Gong. Plus if theres any tapes of other stuff like the Terry Reid set on the film which is magnificent and the Arthur Brown and Quintessence that could be thrown into the pot? I'd buy it!
slimtimslide
6 posts

Nov 07, 2019, 20:11
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Valve wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

WHICH VALVE brings out the beast in one?????

I'm kind of OK about bootlegs of this stuff appearing cos it's never gonna get an official re-release

Deepinder

Finally, here in 2019, the fabulous newly released Mighty Baby 6CD box set contains a whole CD plus one track from the band's Glastonbury set - 'A Blanket In My Muesli' restored to its full magnificent 36'44". Well worth the wait.

Now, please, someone finally locate all the Phun City tapes.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Nov 26, 2019, 15:45
Excellent. I'm on it. Many many thanks.
Unsung Forum Index